Grand Cherokee WG/WJ Modding Time

spookie the aardvark

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

My mechanic has emailed Curt in the States to see what the answer is, hopefully they will come up with an answer that isnt "not a chance". I have been trolling around and found a company called HK Offroad in the States and they do:

Front Recovery Shackle Tab Kit - WJ/WK/XK

Regular price £172.00 Sale price £157.00 Save £15.00

These bolt onto the exsisting holes in the uni body and dont have to go anywhere near the steering (I do kinda like to have steering 🤣) So if the Curt front tow hitch isnt going to work on mine then I will have to think again and these might be an even simpler answer to the problem 🤣

hkoffroad.com has a lot of very nice looking stuff covering all types of Jeeps, may have to stay away from there or have very tight control when and if I order stuff 🤣

• Platinum Member
Marcus Durand

I bought a aircon pipe from Rock Auto which didn't fit because they are different for LHD and RHD. The refused to take a return or go half with me because they feel I should have known that there was a difference. The only contact is by email through their website.

• Platinum Member
Marcus Durand

I'm also looking at wheels and tyres at the moment. I'm running 16 inch rims with 245/70/16s which gives me 29.5 inches diameter. I'm looking at going onto 17 inch rims on a 2002 4.7 WJ. I'm aiming at 31.5 inches diameter. What do you guys think; 16s or 17s?

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
16 minutes ago, Marcus Durand said:

I'm also looking at wheels and tyres at the moment. I'm running 16 inch rims with 245/70/16s which gives me 29.5 inches diameter. I'm looking at going onto 17 inch rims on a 2002 4.7 WJ. I'm aiming at 31.5 inches diameter. What do you guys think; 16s or 17s?

Hi Marcus on mine I have 235/60/17 at the moment but think i will be going up to 245/70/17 so your 4.7 WG should be the same as mine so you could go up to 17s. Its kind of a personal thing on which you prefer, a lot of the guys on here have lots more experiance of jeeps than me and I am sure they will offer good advice

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
23 minutes ago, Marcus Durand said:

I bought a aircon pipe from Rock Auto which didn't fit because they are different for LHD and RHD. The refused to take a return or go half with me because they feel I should have known that there was a difference. The only contact is by email through their website.

You were lucky to be able to find an email address for RockAuto, I couldnt and I only wanted to ask if it was possible for the tow hitch I have to fit my Jeep

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
2 minutes ago, PDB said:

Greater sidewall depth is better for absorbing impacts when aired down. Assuming you want off tarmac performance not Hot rod performance?

There speaks a voice of great experiance 👍👍

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Marcus Durand
51 minutes ago, PDB said:

Stay with 16s!

One purpose of going larger diameter is to get greater sidewall depth. If I could fit 16s I would have done. If you want larger diameter tyres for increased diff clearance, you can still get that with 16s. 👍

The 16s are currently on my 2000 4L, I'll have to see if they will fit the 4.7.

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

they should do as both Jeeps have the same stud pattern I think

There are many posts in the technical section. All about WJ rim sizes and their dimensions and tyre sizes. I made one to answer the majority of questions being a WJ owner myself.

Also lots of other useful  information regarding wheels and tyres and lift kits.

Yes....16” rims will fit as a replacement to 17” rims......but be very aware that.....

If your WJ was supplied with 17” rims and you go to 16” you will end up with caliper pistons and brake pads overheating....eventually...seized caliper pistons and brake fade....then no brakes. Caliper to rim clearance is critical to avoid this. While you can swop wheel sizes there are many other factors to consider, not just tyres sizes. 

How do i know? I experienced this in my WJ 4.7V8 HO many years ago.

The reason owners went from 17” to 16” in the past was that at the launch of 17” rims/ tyres there were hardly any offroad type tyres available.  Not so true anymore.

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Thanks for that Jules I will drop by the technical section and have a look👍

• Platinum Member
3 hours ago, Marcus Durand said:

i would move to 17", there is more tire choice, which means cheaper tires.

• Platinum Member

also as mentioned earlier, you will have a better brake clearance, that is a problem with my JK, i have broken 2 wheels by stones getting jammed between the caliper and the wheel, the alloy wheel always looses the fight. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
1 hour ago, PDB said:

YIKES!!! I am the lesser mortal! 😳

Just jigging along your thread Spookie hoping you get good info and save blowing any money. 

You know your always welcom on this thread and you are saving me money and giving good info - so greater mortal you are 👍🤣🤣

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Trying to find another answer to my front tow hitch issue, I may have found one but I was just wondering if anyone has had dealings with HK Offroad in the States? Their stuff looks good so just wondered what people thought of them. They do answer questions and emails very quickly 😃

“Front tow hitch”  I use on my 2004 WJ is a rear Ford Transit item.

Fits WJ chassis rails, front lower louvre grille opening....and works a treat.

Best part.......can be sourced in the UK!

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
9 hours ago, Jules said:

“Front tow hitch”  I use on my 2004 WJ is a rear Ford Transit item.

Fits WJ chassis rails, front lower louvre grille opening....and works a treat.

Best part.......can be sourced in the UK!

Thanks for that Jules, never thought of that 👍 I have just ordered the Front Tow Hitch Receiver w/ Shackle Tabs from HK Offroading. Looks like the piece of kit is "built like an outside lavatory - in brick" 🤣🤣 Like your one its designed to fit onto the chassis rails. I bet your one was cheaper and got to you a lot quicker 🤣🤣

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Got my Jeep back from the "competent adult" on Saturday with all the work done except the front tow hitch. No matter what he did he could nt get it to fit and allow me to steer anywhere except it a straight line 🤔🥴 He worked it out that the Curt front tow hitch has only been designed for left hand drive Jeeps so, as steering is kinda importent to me, we decided to take it off and go another route 😭

To get round the problem I have now ordered something simular from HK Offroading in the States that fits onto the chassis rails instead, so hopefully no more problems 🥴 only down side is they are made to order so will take about a month to be built and get here - watch this space.

Everything else has worked out great and I can feel the differance the steering damper and the new lift kit have made. The Jeep feels so much better on the road with the new springs and shocks, not so soft and wallowie 😃

The badge replacement is nearly done all in a nice red, just need to find the side badges in red or maybe have to paint them - she is now offically the "Redneck Aardvark"🤣😍

Next thing to look at will be the tyres (bigger size) they are going to be BFGOODRICH but not sure if they should be AT or MT, I am thinking AT as most of my time is spent on road but I am open to suggestions. The only problem i have is deciding which size to go for. Frosty went for the 24/70/17 and they look really good👍 I also have the choice between those and 255/65/17 or 265/65/17, the tech section says i can fit the 265/65/17 and they shouldn't rub as i have a 2 inch lift and 1.5 inch spacers all round, but the wheel and tyre may not fit back in the spare wheel well properly. So i was thinking about spliting the difference and going for the 255/65/17s - again open to suggestions 😃 Unless anyone has any other ideas about tyre make and size👍😃

IMG_20201011_123411.jpg

IMG_20201011_123436.jpg

IMG_20201011_123841.jpg

IMG_20201011_123452.jpg

IMG_20201011_123538.jpg

• Platinum Member

looking good, you need to do some lanes, i was out yesterday in the JK with a couple of mates, one in a WK with a 2" budget lift, was very impressive for  near std truck. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
10 minutes ago, frosty said:

looking good, you need to do some lanes, i was out yesterday in the JK with a couple of mates, one in a WK with a 2" budget lift, was very impressive for  near std truck. 

Thanks frosty 👍😍 really happy with way she is looking and driving and you are so right, I do need to hit some lanes 🤣 give her a real test, problem is in hampshire it would seem most BOATs have been reclassified to stop people driving on them - thank you rambelers 💩💩 It seems up North sense still prevails👍 What I might do ,as soon as tyres are sorted out, is take a trip up to Salisbury Plain as I haven't been up there for a long time and there are are loads of places to drive if your sensible👍 might need to find someone local to go with me - just in case 😂

What are your thoughts on the 255/65/17 BFGOODRICH tyres?

• Platinum Member

Spookie, I think the tyre issues depends on the Jeep....... I fitted 245 70 17 BF Goodrich AT K02's and mine caught the front bumper when reversing..... BFG's are also on the smaller side of the sizes. Just because you have a 2 inch lift dont assume that you wont have to trim that front bumper. I know Frosty hasn't had to trim anything with his fitted without a lift. Just saying i still had too with a lift on mine. However, I do have the later front bumper, maybe there was a slight change in dimensions 🤔

Jeep is looking good though 👍

Edited by TazMann
  • Like 1

• Platinum Member
6 hours ago, PDB said:

Rugged Ridge XHD wheels in gunmetal grey with red rim protectors next Spookie. You can forget about wheel spacers then with their offset. Wrangler wheels fit the WK,  dont know about the WJ.

when i lived in France, my friend had a RHD WJ, we tried some 16"JK wheels on it, but they didn't clear the brakes, 

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
9 hours ago, TazMann said:

Spookie, I think the tyre issues depends on the Jeep....... I fitted 245 70 17 BF Goodrich AT K02's and mine caught the front bumper when reversing..... BFG's are also on the smaller side of the sizes. Just because you have a 2 inch lift dont assume that you wont have to trim that front bumper. I know Frosty hasn't had to trim anything with his fitted without a lift. Just saying i still had too with a lift on mine. However, I do have the later front bumper, maybe there was a slight change in dimensions 🤔

Jeep is looking good though 👍

Thanks Tazmann 👍 All very confusing 🤣 My "competent adult" seems to think the 245/70/17s will go in no problem, the section on here says 265/ 65/17s will go no problem so might be time this weekend to run "Redneck Aardvark" to the tyre shop and see what they say🤣🤣

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
8 hours ago, PDB said:

Rugged Ridge XHD wheels in gunmetal grey with red rim protectors next Spookie. You can forget about wheel spacers then with their offset. Wrangler wheels fit the WK,  dont know about the WJ.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM i am in love with everything except the price 😍🤑😍🤑 They look amazing and the rim protectors are awesome as well😍😍 They would look amazing on My Jeep but dont think I can Justify the cost at the moment, and those would fit the WJ as well 😭😭😭😭

9597827dc04a207942f84c4a0ed676db.webp c333646736cde0aaf4642918801933f8.webp