Grand Cherokee WG/WJ Modding Time

spookie the aardvark

• Platinum Member
13 hours ago, frosty said:

thanks Tazman, where will it need to be trimmed at the front bumper, i am trying to avoid fitting the lift kit, for me to fit 245-70-17's.

thanks for the advice about the tow bar, now fitted. 

Frosty,

Honestly I don't know exactly how much will have to come off for the tyres without the lift. Original tyres were 29 and your going up to a 31inch tyre. If your going with the K02 then be very careful in reverse, the front wheels will rip the bumper off. Your going to have to trim away on the front bumper until you can reverse without the tyres catching. You may end up losing the fog lights to do this as they are very close. It may be worth looking at a simple 2inch puck lift rather than a full shock and spring package. These can be found on that auction site for around £75. It would certainly help and keep the cost down for a while.

Also having never run without my lift and the BFG's I dont know how much clearance you will have on the rear. Just keep hold of your original wheels and tyres until you have got it all dialed in. I'll be interested in seeing just how much has to be trimmed. 

Excellent work on the rear hitch. 

Edited by TazMann

• Platinum Member

the tires are now on, i have driven the car back 10 miles from the tire shop, nothing catching at the moment, in the tire shop we put the F-O-S wheel on and with the jack removed turned the steering lock to lock, there was at least an inch clear all round, as soon as i can get it into the workshop, i will put a spring compressor on it, and turn it lock to lock again.

going to fit the tow bar electrics over the weekend. 

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Hi frosty good to hear your happy with your new toy, that is one very nice looking WG 👍 any chance of some more pics? Looks very good with the Curt tow hitch on it - I think there is a bit of theme going on with us - Curt tow gear and WGs 🤣🤣🥳  Great to see another V8 (we are the devil spawn 🤯🤣).

Just been down to the garage to have a look at mine, its looking awesome as most of the work has been done - new steering damper, 2 inch lift in place, 1.5 inch wheel spacers and the front tow hitch is nearly done ( yes it is a complete pain in the arse to fit 🤣) had to loose a skid plate to get it fitted but it was worth it.

Had a look at it with the wheels and tyres on it and now time to get something bigger - yes either TazMann or PDB were correct that it doesnt look right with standard tyres on it (235/60/17) so now thnking about going up to 245 or I saw PDB reccommend 265 so I am open to advice on that on which way to go 👍

A couple of pics of the new front tow hitch in place, as soon as I get it back, and it's not pouring with rain I will get more pics of the all the bits in place 🥳

IMG_20200930_171009.jpg

IMG_20200930_171030.jpg

• Platinum Member

hi Spookie, thanks for your comments, i will probably put the springs and shoks on mine in the next few days, even though it doesent seam to be catching so far, i would think you ar safe to go for the 265 / 60 / 17 tires if you already have the lift and spacers. i will send more pictures as i go on. 

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
11 hours ago, frosty said:

hi Spookie, thanks for your comments, i will probably put the springs and shoks on mine in the next few days, even though it doesent seam to be catching so far, i would think you ar safe to go for the 265 / 60 / 17 tires if you already have the lift and spacers. i will send more pictures as i go on. 

Cheers frosty will love to see more photos of your new toy 👍😍 Hope your really going to enjoy it 😍 not decided on which tyres to go for yet - been a case of work getting in the way of sorting stuff for my baby 🤮🤣🤣

• Platinum Member

put the lift kit on this morning, one of the easiest i have fitted, with the new wheels it looks and drives great. and the new jeep badge is on the front. 

before the lift A.JPG

before the lift B.JPG

after the lift A.JPG

after the lift B.JPG

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Thanks for the pics frosty 👍🤩 Your jeep is looking amazing 🤩 which lift kit did you use? Are those tyres 265 / 60 / 17 if so what make are they and where did you get them? They fit the wheel arches perfectly 😍

• Platinum Member

thanks for the comments guy's, they are 245-70-17's, the lift kit is Iron Rock, with Bilstein 5100 shock absorbers, which are great for on and off road, i will see if they have the snow flake on them, i got a set of 5 fitted and balanced locally for £900, which i think is reasonable, if no-one wants the old tires and wheels, i will give them to the garage, i don't have the space here, i already have 3 full sets of wheels and tires for the JK, and 2 sets for the TJ.   

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Thanks frosty 👍 was trying to decide between 245 or 265. think the 265 may be too big as your 245 fit the wheel wells perfectly. I would be interested in your wheels just depends where abouts you are 😁 I know what you mean about trying to store all the spares you need 🤣

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Yeh they are way too good for scrap, unfortunatly I am in Portsmouth Hampshire 😪

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Another update with all the mods being done to my Jeep:

• Lift kit all installed and looking good, the jeep looks a lot higher even with the stock 235/60/17 tyres 👍😁 now got a lot of room to fill in the wheel wells so will be looking for some bigger tyres. Looks good parked next to the stock XJ 😁
  • Rancho steering damper installed and looking good 😁
  • 1.5 inch wheel spacers installed and have given the Jeep a way better stance 😁
  • Only down side has been the front tow hitch, my mechanic struggled to get it fitted (instructions say about 38 minutes to do job - ball cocks 😂) When he got it done he found it fouled the steering so no left or right turns - just "straight on till morning". Must admit that would make for interesting driving. He has emailed Curt, the manufactures, to try and find out if the tow hitch was only designed for left hand drive Jeeps. It was bought from RockAuto and listed for the V8 2002 Grand Cherokee and they knew it was going to the UK as they had to post it here. Have tried to find an email adress for someone at RockAuto to ask about it but no luck. They state on their website they are internet based only and dont have a customer service department 😪. Plus you only seem to have 30 days to log a problem with your order or return parts - mine was 37 days old, seems a bit odd. I will admit this is the only problem I have had with RockAuto so I will have to wait and see what happens. May have to go the route of a wich bumper which can get very pricey 😪😪

IMG_20201003_101058.jpg

IMG_20201003_101042.jpg

IMG_20201003_101136.jpg

IMG_20201003_101124.jpg

IMG_20201003_101428.jpg

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Thanks for that PDB I am really happy with the way it is looking now, such a change from stock 👍😂

Those are just holding the cable out of the way as I haven't had time to look at the wiring for the rear tow bar yet so just a temp to stop it trailing down the road after me 👍🤣🤣 Work getting in the way of me doing stuff to my Jeep 🤮😂🤮😂

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

The Xj belongs to another of my mechanics customers and is totally stock, it looks great 👍 Yeh I needed some new badges as mine were well past their sell by date - so much so that at Slindon the letters fell off leaving me with just a "P" New original letters were stupidly expensive so I found the red Metal badges on "that auction site" stuck on at the moment but can be drilled and bolted in. I also have a "Red neck Edition badge frome the States to go under the rear Jeep badge - a theme forming here I feel 🤣🤣🤣

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
6 minutes ago, PDB said:

Yeah. Better than Jeep getting in the way of work for funding!

Looks like 265/70/17 will push out past the wheel wells, especially with some offset. I think Taz tried this and had rubbing? 

I think he did with his so I have the choice of getting 265 and getting the bumper cut a bit or going for the 245 like frosty and his look good. There should be a work/life/Jeep balance 🤣🤣🤣

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
2 minutes ago, PDB said:

You don't need a winch bumper Spookie. The front hitch may well be handed, but as far as Rockauto could know you could have a LHD for Europe. As you have a SFA, that will be handed. Something to always consider with track bars etc.

You could fit a hidden winch tray and mount recovery hooks to that. You don't have to fit a winch but you will have the option later. Look at Taz's early thread. 👍

Must admit I had thought of the hidden winch tray, a lot less expensive and do keep the stock look. Might think about a winch at the same time as it means the bumper only has to come of once. A hidden winch mount, winch and recovery points will come to a lot less than something like an ARB winch bumper alone

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
1 minute ago, PDB said:

Think about the weight of the winch and tray and any guards on your suspension. This is why I went with OME HD set up, as I am set up as a tourer alwsys loaded at work or recreational.

You should be fine without a winch. But you could just get a custom set of front springs made for the front if you fit one, or use the OME HD set of front springs.

Your right that a winch isnt that much of a requirement and I had new springs fitted with the lift kit. The lift kit was the trail master one. I think reading your sage advice that the hidden winch bumper and some recovery points may be the way to go and just rely on other people with a winch to pull me out if needed 🤣🤣🤣

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
Just now, PDB said:

I do love my wife. Time to put the Jeep away for a while!

Jeep cant hit you with a rolling pin 🤣🤣🤣 probably explains why I am divorced 🤣🤣🤣

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

You make some very good points and I must admit I am looking at doing anthing techinical so I think it maybe time to revert to the rule of K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid 🤣🤣 Possibly hidden winch tray and some good recovery points - way simpler, way cheaper 👍🤣