Grand Cherokee WG/WJ Modding Time

spookie the aardvark

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
10 hours ago, TazMann said:

Spookie, there is a handy grommet on the rear passenger side of the jeep comes out right where it is needed 🙂 

I looked for a wiring kit and could not find a UK/Euro one. Dont forget the US ones wont work over here at all. hence why i ended up doing it myself with a universal kit. If you do find one though post it up 👍

Cheers TazMann very much appriciated, when mine comes back from the "compatent adult" who's fitting all the stuff I haven't got time to fit at the moment 😡🤮 I will go grommet hunting, saves having to try and drill hole for the wiring 👍🤣

I was looking at the American wiring system that tees into the block already inside the passanger side panel and then cutting back the wires to get what I need. I know the American system is different in that they tend to use the rear lights/brake lights as indicators as well but I am sure with a bit of trying and a lot swearing I will manage to do the same as you. Where did you get you light kit from? 😁

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Wheel spacers arrived today 🥳🥳 Yes you guessed it from RockAuto again👍

Sunday , 9/13/2020

7:42 am

Shipment information sent to FedEx

Thursday , 9/17/2020

11:53 am

PORTSMOUTH GB

Delivered

That's what you call service from both RockAuto and FedEx, considering all the problems in America at the moment. Can't fault either company 👍👍😍

• Platinum Member
17 hours ago, spookie the aardvark said:

Cheers TazMann very much appriciated, when mine comes back from the "compatent adult" who's fitting all the stuff I haven't got time to fit at the moment 😡🤮 I will go grommet hunting, saves having to try and drill hole for the wiring 👍🤣

I was looking at the American wiring system that tees into the block already inside the passanger side panel and then cutting back the wires to get what I need. I know the American system is different in that they tend to use the rear lights/brake lights as indicators as well but I am sure with a bit of trying and a lot swearing I will manage to do the same as you. Where did you get you light kit from? 😁

Spookie, I ordered a powered trailer kit off that auction site. Came from PF Jones. Uses a permanent live source from the battery to power the trailer lights so as not to over load the vehicles existing wiring. Seeing as I was also going full 13pin electrics for split charging etc there were no issues for me having to bring the live from the front. 

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
On 18/09/2020 at 13:09, TazMann said:

Spookie, I ordered a powered trailer kit off that auction site. Came from PF Jones. Uses a permanent live source from the battery to power the trailer lights so as not to over load the vehicles existing wiring. Seeing as I was also going full 13pin electrics for split charging etc there were no issues for me having to bring the live from the front. 

Cheers TazMann, I found some from the guy you told me about on "that auction site" do you remember which one it was that you got?

• Platinum Member
17 hours ago, spookie the aardvark said:

Cheers TazMann, I found some from the guy you told me about on "that auction site" do you remember which one it was that you got?

Spookie I got this one. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-13-Pin-Towbar-Electrics-Wiring-PCT-ZR2500-7-Way-Bypass-Relay-Kit/281352457387?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

If i ever go down the overland trailer build etc i have the capacity to charge batteries and keep fridges cool 😉 

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

4 hours ago, TazMann said:

Spookie I got this one. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-13-Pin-Towbar-Electrics-Wiring-PCT-ZR2500-7-Way-Bypass-Relay-Kit/281352457387?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

If i ever go down the overland trailer build etc i have the capacity to charge batteries and keep fridges cool 😉 

Cheers TazMann, I do like a man who thinks ahead - cool fridges = cold beers 👍🥳🤣🤣

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

I think we were both looking at the same type of thing, the one i was looking at was just 7 pin as I would prodominatly tow just a trailer👍👍

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-PCT-Automotive-ZR2500-Logicon-Towing-Interface-7-Way-Bypass-Relay-Kit-/290700395850?hash=item43af18054a

• Platinum Member
14 hours ago, spookie the aardvark said:

I think we were both looking at the same type of thing, the one i was looking at was just 7 pin as I would prodominatly tow just a trailer👍👍

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-PCT-Automotive-ZR2500-Logicon-Towing-Interface-7-Way-Bypass-Relay-Kit-/290700395850?hash=item43af18054a

Spookie, yes that's the one 👍

All I will say is this, you have to bring a fresh live feed from the battery anyway. If you used 8 gauge audio cable to do that you could split that in the rear of the car using a distribution block. One to power the ZR2500 and one to power a split charger. Again just the way I look at things, going to all the effort of bringing it in I may as well utilise it. I went to my local Towsure and also bought a 13pin to 7n/7s convertor so I am covered now for all eventualities. 

But yeah that's the control module from PF Jones, doesn't put extra stress on the existing wiring by using the live power feed. 

• Platinum Member

all looks good, i will have to buy one of those 13 pin kits, where did you go through the bulkhead to get the power line to the battery.

• Platinum Member
28 minutes ago, frosty said:

all looks good, i will have to buy one of those 13 pin kits, where did you go through the bulkhead to get the power line to the battery.

Frosty/Spookie,

Just to clarify, I didn't run the direct power feed internally. I ran it across the engine bay from the battery drivers to passengers then ran it along the chassis zip tying to the brake lines as i went. I also swapped out the bladed fuses for a 30amp car audio circuit breaker. This is located in the engine bay. I think in total it was about 6to7m of 8 gauge I needed. This went up through the grommet in the boot floor. It is best to feed internally to external as the grommet sits over the top of the EVAP bracket. So unless you want to remove the bumper skin go inside to outside with all your wire feeds.

Hope this helps guys.

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
11 hours ago, TazMann said:

Spookie, yes that's the one 👍

All I will say is this, you have to bring a fresh live feed from the battery anyway. If you used 8 gauge audio cable to do that you could split that in the rear of the car using a distribution block. One to power the ZR2500 and one to power a split charger. Again just the way I look at things, going to all the effort of bringing it in I may as well utilise it. I went to my local Towsure and also bought a 13pin to 7n/7s convertor so I am covered now for all eventualities. 

But yeah that's the control module from PF Jones, doesn't put extra stress on the existing wiring by using the live power feed. 

Cheers TazMan, as always good information always gratefully received 👍😍 At the moment my Jeep is with a "competent adult" haveing the lift kit, front tow hitch and new steering damper fitted as I am now back at work full time and that sorta gets in the way of doing the suff I want to to my Jeep 🤮🤑 so as soon as I get it back I will look more into the wiring bit

• Platinum Member
On 23/08/2020 at 15:53, spookie the aardvark said:

Curt class 3 front tow hitch from RockAuto

Hi Spookie. What is this? 

Marcus.

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Hi Marcus,

The best way to put it is that the Curt class 3 front tow hitch is like a tow bar but in this case designed to fit on the front of the Jeep. Being a tow hitch rather than a towbar it allows you to fit different accessories to the front of the Jeep from recovery point to a snow plough. Mine will have one at both front and back so that I know I have good recovery points ( without have to spend a lot of money to replace the front and back bumpers with metal ones) and the ability to use either a towball or recovery point or nothing sticking out the back.

CURT 31048 Class III Mount Receiver Hitch Info

Front; 3500lbs. Gross Trailer Weight; 350lbs. Tongue Weight; 9000lbs. Straight-Line Pull; Drilling Required; Visibility: Concealed

CURT 13051 Class III 2 in. Receiver Hitch Info

Rear; 5000lbs. Gross Trailer Weight; 500lbs. Tongue Weight; 6000lbs. Weight Distributing; 600lbs. Weight Distributing Tongue Weight; No Drilling Required; Round Main Body; Visibility: Exposed

31048_3008x1990_a__ra_p.jpg

13051_3008x1990_a__ra_p.jpg

31048_3008x1990_fe__ra_p.jpg

31048_3008x1990_ff__ra_p.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
28 minutes ago, Marcus Durand said:

This looks the business hey! Thanks for that Spookie. I wish I had known about this two years ago.

Your welcome Marcus, only found the front tow hitch by accident on RockAuto's site after I had booked out the rear. Thought it was a fantastic idea in that it saved me a lot of money getting a winch bumper and lets me keep my WG looking fairly stock. It could be they have just started doing these front hitches for older Jeeps, but not sure on that. I am sure one of the "Great Brains" on here will be able to tell us 👍😆

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

I so want to find out where I can get the snow plough attachment from for the next time extinction rebellion play silly buggers in the road 🤯 If the police cant move them then the plough will 😂😂😂🥳

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
17 minutes ago, PDB said:

Snow plough bad idea Spookie - drag them away before push 👍.

Like your thinking 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍👍👍

• Platinum Member

so, yesterday i went to pick up my WJ from the garage that Ben delivered it to, very happy with it, it is exactly what Ben said, very good condition inside and out. i told my very trusted garage to give it a detailed check over and let me know what it needs, and Mot it. the result was that it just needed the MOT and a new battery, they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

my dilemma now, is weather to fit the lift kit or not, the garage strongly recommended not to, they said they have never seen a GC WJ is such good condition and still be completely standard, i am tempted to agree with them, and just fit the beautiful diamond cut wheels that i bought of Ben, along with the tow bar i already have, bear in mind that me and my wife already have 2 heavily modified off road jeeps, a JK and a TJ. 

What size tires can i fit on the new wheels, without fitting the lift kit, as we live in the pennines, and have snow every year, i am looking at A/T tires, and would be happy to go up a couple of sizes if i can without trimming the wings or putting spacers on. my current tires are 235 x 65 x 17

• Platinum Member

great, thanks for that, on the tire calculator that i use, the overall diameter would change from 29.03, to 30.5 inches, and the width would change from 9.25 to 9.65 inches, so i think it should be fine,  speedo would only change very slightly eg, at a true 30 MPH you would be doing 31.5 MPH, but as speedo's always over read by 5 to 10%, there should be no problem. 

• Platinum Member

i bought 5x 245-70-17 BF Goodrich A/T's, the wheel / tires below are free to a good home, if no takers i will give them to the garage that is fitting the new tires to my new wheels.  all the tires are good, fronts have more tread than rears, all legal for many more miles, a couple of the wheels are lightly corroded, and could be refurbished very easily. as said free to a good home, or could be delivered  with fuel costs. 07973563163

P1020342.JPG

P1020343.JPG

P1020344.JPG

P1020345.JPG

P1020346.JPG

P1020347.JPG

• Platinum Member

first real problem, i tried fitting my tow bar today, but it really doesn't seam to fit, i can see the holes it is meant to bolt onto, but the pipes that go to the fuel filler are in the way, also the whole unit will be too far forward, any ideas are welcome.

P1020349.JPG

P1020350.JPG

P1020352.JPG

P1020355.JPG

P1020356.JPG

• Platinum Member

Frosty,

The curt hitch utilises 2 bolt holes that are there but do not currently have any bolts in them. I drilled 2 holes in my bumper to get at these. You will find them. (1 either side right at the back of the car).

I fitted 245 70 17 BF Goodrich AT K02's onto mine with a 2inch lift. They will hit without a lift. The front bumper will hit certainly not sure about the rear. Have a look in my build thread. I had to trim the front bumper after the lift  stil lto get clearance. I ended up fitting a full winch bumper in the end to gain the clearance i needed. Now back on a hidden plate with a lot of bumper trimming but still kept fog lights. Might need about 1.5inches off the bottom lip or so. 

Edited by TazMann

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, TazMann said:

Frosty,

The curt hitch utilises 2 bolt holes that are there but do not currently have any bolts in them. I drilled 2 holes in my bumper to get at these. You will find them. (1 either side right at the back of the car).

I fitted 245 70 17 BF Goodrich AT K02's onto mine with a 2inch lift. They will hit without a lift. The front bumper will hit certainly not sure about the rear. Have a look in my build thread. I had to trim the front bumper after the lift  stil lto get clearance. I ended up fitting a full winch bumper in the end to gain the clearance i needed. Now back on a hidden plate with a lot of bumper trimming but still kept fog lights. Might need about 1.5inches off the bottom lip or so. 

thanks Tazman, where will it need to be trimmed at the front bumper, i am trying to avoid fitting the lift kit, for me to fit 245-70-17's.

thanks for the advice about the tow bar, now fitted. 

P1020359.JPG