Grand Cherokee WG/WJ Modding Time

spookie the aardvark

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Well I had plans for some spannering work yesturday and for once the Bank Holiday Weather Gods smiled on both myself and the Jeep🤣

The plan was

• fit rear tow hitch
  • fit new steering damper
  • fit cross bars to the roof

Enlisted the help of a mate to fit the tow hitch as it weighs 30 Lb and trying to hold it up and undo/do up bolts might have been an issue. Once we figured out what bolts had to come out, including the old towing point - thats substantial as well - totally over engineered 😋, it didnt take to long to get it all nailed in, didnt even need to take the bumper off 😍

The new MOPAR roof bars went on easily with just a bit of measuring to get them in the right place. some time in the future the bard hold the cb ariel will come off and a roof rack will go on.

The only down side was trying to change the steering damper as one of the nuts turned out to be seized solid and just rounded off - so going to have leave that for another day. the front tow hitch is also going to be left for the moment as thats much more of a pig to fit, but it will get done. Still waiting for the Trail Master lift kit to arrive from Germany 🤔🥺🥺

IMG_20200829_105927.jpg

IMG_20200829_110001.jpg

IMG_20200829_123707.jpg

IMG_20200829_123631.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
12 hours ago, frosty said:

looks great, tow bar looks very strong.

yes all the American parts are rated at about 6000 Lb plus, but the english tow ball itself - 2000 Lb 🥺🤔 so that ends up as the weakest part of the system 🥺🥺 Typical British/EU thinking, not that I ever plan to tow that much but its always nice to have the option.

The rear tow hitch is all one piece and all welded where as ones you get over here tend to be bolt together - hmmmmmmmmmmmmm  I wonder which is best?🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

It can also be used with the recovery point which you cant do with an EU rated towbar - Just goes to proove that just because something has anEU rated sticker on, it doesnt mean that sticker is worth anything 🤣🤣.

It is possible to get an EU rated towball assembly to fit the the tow hitch - the price I saw was about £270 and that was in the UK - the adjustable one I got from America was a lot less than that including the postage.

Maybe that kinda puts to rest the argument for only using EU rated stuff - we will have to see 🤢🤑🤑🤑🤑

• Platinum Member

My UK Towball is 2000kg rated which is 4,400lb. Are you sure you dont mean kg Spookie? 

Looking good there now Spookie. They are really easy to fit arn't they. 

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

My bad TazMann 😳😳 your right it is 2000kg 😳😳 bloody EU and their metric system 🤔 but thats still a lot less than the rest of the towing system.

It does look good and if you dont know what your looking at you wouldnt know what it is 👌👍 It did go in easily once we worked out which bolts had to come out, and having two of us doing it. Big kudos to you if you managed to hold up 30Lb of best American steel and bolt it all up by yourself 🤩👍.

I can recommend the class 5 recovery points from RockAuto, they are one meaty piece of kit - very very heavy duty 🤯👍

IMG_20200828_174558.jpg

IMG_20200828_174618.jpg

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Well I am Happy to report the last of the big prezzies turned up on Friday morning. A big heavey box of lift kit parts from Trail Master. Got them from a seller in Germany on "that auction site" over £100 cheaper than from Jeepey for exactly the same thing and quicker delivery too. Only downside is I am working and on call 24/7 at the moment - dont bosses realise that the world doesn't revolve around them and work? IT REVOLVES AROUND JEEPS 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
4 hours ago, spookie the aardvark said:

Well I am Happy to report the last of the big prezzies turned up on Friday morning. A big heavey box of lift kit parts from Trail Master. Got them from a seller in Germany on "that auction site" over £100 cheaper than from Jeepey for exactly the same thing and quicker delivery too. Only downside is I am working and on call 24/7 at the moment - dont bosses realise that the world doesn't revolve around them and work? IT REVOLVES AROUND JEEPS 🤣🤣🤣🤣

👍🤣😂

• Platinum Member

ordered my Curt tow bar and adjustable drop hitch today from Rock Auto, very impressed at how easy it is, and also got discount due to membership of another forum that i am in. 

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
13 hours ago, frosty said:

ordered my Curt tow bar and adjustable drop hitch today from Rock Auto, very impressed at how easy it is, and also got discount due to membership of another forum that i am in. 

I have a lot of time for RockAuto - good prices, good equipment and fast delivery 👍😍😍

Sounds like we need another thread just for Curt tow bar owners 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

And now RockAuto have become a sponser👍 Have they been spying on these threads????????????????????🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Back onto RockAuto tonight to order some wheel spacers and got the discount as well - you gotta love RockAuto 👍😍🤣

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

The sun is shining and birds are singing - so a bit more work done on the Jeep. 🐦🐥

Fitted the socket for the tow bar electrics, ok not wired up yet but the thought was there 😳🤣

Removed the old Jeep bdge from the bonnet as it was totally shot and after Slindon I was driving a "P". Found a couple of metal replacements on "that auction site" so one on the front and one on the back, they are metal but stick on so have to see how they go. If they dont stay on then its going to be a case of drilling holes and bolting them on - watch this space 🤔🤣

IMG_20200913_141145.jpg

IMG_20200913_141219.jpg

IMG_20200913_141108.jpg

IMG_20200913_141035.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Thanks frosty, I just tow a trailer - only one in the family with a tow bar 🤔 think there maybe something wrong there 🤯🤣 The new tow bar on the Jeep will give me the option to pull bigger trailers if I want to or even a caravan but cant see that happening 👍👍🤣

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

i have a trailer, and a caravan, i am not a real caravaner, i bought it for events in UK, when i started doing a lot of events a few years ago, they were nearly all weekend events, sometimes 2 a month, staying for 3 nights in a nice hotel twice a month was getting a bit expensive, so we bought a cheap touring caravan, which as i am on the wrong side of 60, is more appealing than camping, as it is a full tourer, it has central heating, toilet, fixed bedroom at the back, i nice hot shower, and a good fridge for beer and wine, it also has a full length awning, which is always full of offroaders at event evenings, explaining how come they got stuck so many times.........🤣😂😅

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
9 hours ago, PDB said:

Nice work fitting the bar Spookie. Looking forward to seeing the lift kit on.

Cheers, thr rear one is really easy to fit and looks the business 😍 The lift kit should be fitted next week along with the front tow hitch, had to send it to my tame mechanic to do the work as now I am unfurloughed, I am back to earning the money but got no time 😡🤮 work gets in the way of Jeeps 🤣🤣🤣

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
17 hours ago, frosty said:

i have a trailer, and a caravan, i am not a real caravaner, i bought it for events in UK, when i started doing a lot of events a few years ago, they were nearly all weekend events, sometimes 2 a month, staying for 3 nights in a nice hotel twice a month was getting a bit expensive, so we bought a cheap touring caravan, which as i am on the wrong side of 60, is more appealing than camping, as it is a full tourer, it has central heating, toilet, fixed bedroom at the back, i nice hot shower, and a good fridge for beer and wine, it also has a full length awning, which is always full of offroaders at event evenings, explaining how come they got stuck so many times.........🤣😂😅

I know the feeling 🤣 I'm the wrong side of 50 now and I must admit I am starting to see the point of towing a ready made home, with creature comforts, behind me. Rock up, unhitch, open door - done 🤔😳🤣🤣

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
4 minutes ago, PDB said:

Not quite so simple depending on the pitch and caravan but I know what you mean. Its always the plugging in, plumbing, fetching water and for some, frigging around getting satellite aligned to the southeast that seems the faff.

We must embrace the inherent tribal nomad in our genes and get back to nature with our tents, trailers and jeeps. All be it with fridge, freezer, power shower....... LOL 😄😁☝️

Cherished evocative memories of UHT milk with cereal, lighting the calor gaz burners and members of the 'tribe' no longer here in person. 

🤣🤣🤣 I do know what you mean, but there comes an age (just about now) where makeing life easier seems the right thing - that and trying to get tentpegs into the ground at Slindon🤣🤣 Must admit I might have to look at tent somewhere between my hike tent and my bloody huge one that takes a team of Sherpas to put up 👀🤯🤣 Back to basics can be a lot of fun, but any fool can be uncomfortable 🤣🤣🤣🤣

SCREW THE SATELLITE - thats just going too far🤮🤣🤣

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
56 minutes ago, PDB said:

Ha ha! Yes. They are the issues I've tried to address. Essentially made possible by investing in quality camp beds off the ground that pack up small and light.

But they are rediculously expensive 🤦‍♂️

Steel screw pegs and an impact driver will quickly resolve tent peg issues. Must put them on the xmas list 🤔. No to satellites. Not necessary these days with internet I think.

Liking your thinking there PDB - Total agreement from the Aardvark 🤣🤣 Did mutter about not having my cordless drill at Slindon to drill holes for pegs🤣🤣

• Platinum Member
10 hours ago, PDB said:

Not quite so simple depending on the pitch and caravan but I know what you mean. Its always the plugging in, plumbing, fetching water and for some, frigging around getting satellite aligned to the southeast that seems the faff.

We must embrace the inherent tribal nomad in our genes and get back to nature with our tents, trailers and jeeps. All be it with fridge, freezer, power shower....... LOL 😄😁☝️

Cherished evocative memories of UHT milk with cereal, lighting the calor gaz burners and members of the 'tribe' no longer here in person. 

a lot of the events i used to go to were not a proper camp site, quite often up in the hills, in a field, so i just bought a cheep but very well equipped touring van, it does have mains plug in available, but also has big batteries, and its own water and waste tanks, so you can just turn up in a field, and still cook a good meal, with a cold beer or wine, then have a good hot shower, and it has a great blown air heating system, i only paid £4.200 for it, and have had great use from it at events, but i must admit if it is just me going to an event, especially if it is only 1 night away, i just throw our small ( 4 man) tent in the back of the jeep, with a cold box full of beer, small gas cooker and a pre cooked curry and rice in a pan. after off roading for over 40 years, in various countries and climates, i have leaned you need to have a few options available. 

• Platinum Member

Looking good Spookie 👍

The wiring isn't too bad at all. Just take your time, use a multi meter on the existing plug that's located behind the passenger boot panel. All the connections you need are there, well unless you are running 7n/7s/13 pin then you will have to run a permanent live from the car battery. 

Edited by TazMann

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
11 hours ago, frosty said:

a lot of the events i used to go to were not a proper camp site, quite often up in the hills, in a field, so i just bought a cheep but very well equipped touring van, it does have mains plug in available, but also has big batteries, and its own water and waste tanks, so you can just turn up in a field, and still cook a good meal, with a cold beer or wine, then have a good hot shower, and it has a great blown air heating system, i only paid £4.200 for it, and have had great use from it at events, but i must admit if it is just me going to an event, especially if it is only 1 night away, i just throw our small ( 4 man) tent in the back of the jeep, with a cold box full of beer, small gas cooker and a pre cooked curry and rice in a pan. after off roading for over 40 years, in various countries and climates, i have leaned you need to have a few options available. 

I can understand that, getting a caravan out for one person for one night is a bit of faff, I think I need to think about another tent rather than my two man hike tent - bit more room need 🤔 Need to stop the jeep taking all my money - its worse than a wife 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Good to see you have your priorities sorted frosty "a cold box full of beer" and "a pre cooked curry and rice in a pan" all the essentials 🤣🤣🤣

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
10 hours ago, PDB said:

Field campsites no facilities are great if you have your own.

There are some fantastic fields around here at the top of hills only accessible to 4x4s. Farmers are missing a trick with the overlanders as well as grazing.

Barsteward  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dont rub it in 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
6 hours ago, TazMann said:

Looking good Spookie 👍

The wiring isn't too bad at all. Just take your time, use a multi meter on the existing plug that's located behind the passenger boot panel. All the connections you need are there, well unless you are running 7n/7s/13 pin then you will have to run a permanent live from the car battery. 

Thanks TazMann for the electic socket i went the route of buying a proper back plate for it and, using a big hammer, bent it at 90 degrees then got the angle grinder out and cut it to the right length. Handy fixing point on either side of the tow hitch for fixing, one M12 nut and bolt, one spacer left over from the tow hitch fitting and a bit of hammerite paint and that bad boy is going nowhere. One over engineered solution 🤣🤣 Its just going to be trailer electrics so a lot less complicated and as you have said I should be able to take them from behind the boot left hand panel. Might get the wiring kit that plugs in and then come off that but need to have a look behind the panel first.

how did you get the socket cable inside your Jeep? Is there an exisiting hole to use or is it a case of drill your own? 🤔🤣🤣

• Platinum Member

Spookie, there is a handy grommet on the rear passenger side of the jeep comes out right where it is needed 🙂 

I looked for a wiring kit and could not find a UK/Euro one. Dont forget the US ones wont work over here at all. hence why i ended up doing it myself with a universal kit. If you do find one though post it up 👍