Wk hidden winch tray?!

5.7Cherokee

• Platinum Member
5.7Cherokee

I have a winchtray for my wk that sits hidden behind the original bumper to fit this it is required to cut the front crossmember out and bolt this in its place. Being a precision engineer i have the means and capability to do this. However before i start just wondering if anybody else has done one and if they ran into any problems later down the line structually or stability? The tray is made from 1/4" plate and welded by myself so im happy with the strength of it? Its bolting something in place where it was once welded?  unless i weld the tray in instead?!

Hope this makes sense

Cheers

Edited by 5.7Cherokee

• Platinum Member

Not sure about the front cross member on the WK but i know the front cross member on the WJ was made of nothing but thin tin. I have a hidden winch plate now installed on my WJ. Best thing i ever did. removed a lot of weight due to no longer having to have a great big steel winch bumper on the front. Well worth it. 

Have a look at my build thread here https://community.jeepowners.club/topic/2492-grand-cherokee-wj-build/page/4/ Mine is bolted and welded in and is certainly a lot stronger than the original construction..... There are photos of the member being cut in my thread. The only reason I have it partially welded is that i upgraded the Radiator to a twin core alloy whilst i was there to keep my 4.7 cool. 

I believe that PDB has a hidden plate on his WK. Have a look at his build thread The Black Pearl 

Edited by TazMann

• Platinum Member
5.7Cherokee

Thanks for the reply tazmann. Yes the front cros member does look the same on yours as mine and the tray bolts in  the same places.

You did a very tidy job of that looks good 👍

Looks like ill be busy at the weekend now then