Unofficial Jeep Meet- Slindon Safari- Sunday 28th June 2020

CallumCB

• Platinum Member

Hi All,

A few of us are meeting at Slindon Safari for an unofficial meet on Sunday 28th June but thought I would post on here to extend the invite! 

It would be great to meet any newbies (like myself) and those with more experience and everything in-between! Entry is £32 per vehicle on the entrance at Slindon (cash only) or £3 spectator parking... Of course recovery gear/ hooks is recommended as ever! 

Hopefully we can get a good mix of those that attended the JOC day there that have a bit more experience of the site and vehicle capabilities and also people just started out on stock vehicles that want to have a bit of a play.

Plan would be to meet there at 10:30am. No need to stay a set up and no pressure to do more than you feel comfortable with! I drive a stock Jeep Grand Cherokee and don't want to wreck it! 

Hopefully see you there! Any questions, let me know! 

Callum

IMG_5929.JPG

Edited by CallumCB

Fireman Iain

I was up for this until I Googled where Slindon is. Bit too far for me from Sheffield. Shame, would have been fun to run my Grand round too. 

• Platinum Member

hi Callum, i would be up for that, in my Red Jk, i will confirm it nearer the time. 

• Platinum Member

i haven't been to Slindon before, would you think it is possible to camp there on the Friday night, i realize there will not be an open camp site, i was thinking of just bringing a small tent in my jeep, a sleeping bag, and a Billy boiler for a coffee in the morning, and pitching in the woods or whatever ? 

• Platinum Member

Hey Frosty,

I don’t think they’d let you camp sadly on the Saturday just with current rules as they are with COVID. 

Callum

• Platinum Member
16 hours ago, frosty said:

hi Callum, i would be up for that, in my Red Jk, i will confirm it nearer the time. 

Would be great if you could make it! There’s another JK planning to come!

• Platinum Member

ok, i will try, but i might have to sleep in my jeep, it is a 5 hour drive from manchester, not really safe to drive there, do the event, then drive back in one go, lets see how it all pans out.

• Platinum Member

i have spoken to a few other jeepers that are in this forum, they may also be coming to this, could you pm me your phone number please Callum. 

• Administrators

I'm Assuming this is a General open day held a Slindon ? I have been many years ago to open days and found them extremely concerning if you plan to drive anything worth over £500. Many go attend these days just to wreck their vehicles, smash into trees and have little regard for other drivers. One of the main reasons for setting up JOC events for the members ! Your call but the Club was formed back in 2012 mostly for this reason ! So we could accommodate events and insure them to have a slightly more mature approach to 4x4 driving and ensure everyone has a safe day 

Lucky nobody was Hurt or seriously injured!

• Platinum Member

hi Stewart, in many cases i do agree, i have been to many P & P day sites, but i have found that if you stick together as a group, you can look after yourselves quite safely, especially on the larger sites, where your group can go and do your own thing away from the hooligans, from what i have heard, Slindon is a quite well run site, and i am sure a few of us will have CB's so that we can communicate amongst our own group quite well.   

• Platinum Member

@frosty I've not been to a P and P here but the JOC event was well run. @JuicyLucie and I are coming on the 28th so maybe there may be a few of us to form a small group to look out for each other. These are our daily drives so not looking to do anything extreme

• Administrators

JOC hire the whole site exclusively and use our own Public Liability  insurance to cover the events we run.  Only JOC members can attend so if something goes wrong we know who is who if someone runs into your pride and joy they can't just so a runner ! 

I would recommend holding on until the August JOC run event and supporting our Club? No one is saying don't organise your own events either but surely everyone wants a Club such as Jeep Owners Club to exist ? So why not support it? 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, Raakhee said:

@frosty I've not been to a P and P here but the JOC event was well run. @JuicyLucie and I are coming on the 28th so maybe there may be a few of us to form a small group to look out for each other. These are our daily drives so not looking to do anything extreme

yes sure we can stick together, and just do what we are happy with, no pressure, also there will be enough experienced drivers to make sure nothing gets out of control, i will also have to drive my jeep over 200 miles to get home, so i wont be doing anything too crazy, also i will have my A/T tires on. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
45 minutes ago, stewart said:

JOC hire the whole site exclusively and use our own Public Liability  insurance to cover the events we run.  Only JOC members can attend so if something goes wrong we know who is who if someone runs into your pride and joy they can't just so a runner ! 

I would recommend holding on until the August JOC run event and supporting our Club? No one is saying don't organise your own events either but surely everyone wants a Club such as Jeep Owners Club to exist ? So why not support it? 

Stewart, why are we not supporting the club by going to a event that is not organized by the club, it is at least organized by a club member, and will be attended mainly by club members, if i am still in the UK in August, i will be coming to the JOC event as well, you should be encouraging club members to get out there and enjoy their jeeps, is that not what the club is all about ?

We all want JOC to continue to organize events, and to continue as a club, but you should not dissuade members from going to other club events, or member organized events.  

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, frosty said:

Stewart, why are we not supporting the club by going to a event that is not organized by the club, it is at least organized by a club member, and will be attended mainly by club members, if i am still in the UK in August, i will be coming to the JOC event as well, you should be encouraging club members to get out there and enjoy their jeeps, is that not what the club is all about ?

We all want JOC to continue to organize events, and to continue as a club, but you should not dissuade members from going to other club events, or member organized events.  

Mate my concern is for the members safety only 

• Platinum Member

Hi Stuart,

My understanding of the Jeep Owners Club is for Jeep Owners to discuss, collaborate and network with one another. Hence the various forums created. There is a Jeep Owners Club Event page which is freely open for any member to post. I suggest if this is intended for the use only by JOC admin that they change the settings to only advertise specific JOC events.

I am relatively new to the scene myself and my purpose of suggesting meeting likeminded people that are new, experienced or just enthusiastic is that I can learn, engage and build a network whilst enjoying the time learning the capabilities of my Jeep. My vehicle is my daily driver and I by no means am looking to go mad or ‘wreck my car’. There may be those there on the general pay and play that wish to do that though this is by no means the purpose and is certainly not an ‘event’. Merely an opportunity for those that wish to know that fellow members will be at the site on that date. 

It is not an ‘event’ requiring public liability where there are just members suggesting to be at a businesses premises on a certain date- the liability is like anyone attending Slindon on that day. The risk is their own and not associated as a JOC day. I would not class this as an ‘event’. It is suggested that it is a date that a member is attending and for those that might want to attend, they are also able to do so.

It is disappointing to see that networking outside of ‘official’ JOC events is discouraged by yourself. I have yet to attend an official JOC day but have heard and seen great things for the organised events which I plan to attend in the future. 

• Platinum Member
On 12/06/2020 at 14:10, frosty said:

i have spoken to a few other jeepers that are in this forum, they may also be coming to this, could you pm me your phone number please Callum. 

Hey Frosty! 

I can’t seem to direct message you on here! If you have Instagram it is @jeepinwanderland. Otherwise let me know and I’ll ping you a message on Facebook!

• Platinum Member
10 hours ago, CallumCB said:

Hi Stuart,

My understanding of the Jeep Owners Club is for Jeep Owners to discuss, collaborate and network with one another. Hence the various forums created. There is a Jeep Owners Club Event page which is freely open for any member to post. I suggest if this is intended for the use only by JOC admin that they change the settings to only advertise specific JOC events.

I am relatively new to the scene myself and my purpose of suggesting meeting likeminded people that are new, experienced or just enthusiastic is that I can learn, engage and build a network whilst enjoying the time learning the capabilities of my Jeep. My vehicle is my daily driver and I by no means am looking to go mad or ‘wreck my car’. There may be those there on the general pay and play that wish to do that though this is by no means the purpose and is certainly not an ‘event’. Merely an opportunity for those that wish to know that fellow members will be at the site on that date. 

It is not an ‘event’ requiring public liability where there are just members suggesting to be at a businesses premises on a certain date- the liability is like anyone attending Slindon on that day. The risk is their own and not associated as a JOC day. I would not class this as an ‘event’. It is suggested that it is a date that a member is attending and for those that might want to attend, they are also able to do so.

It is disappointing to see that networking outside of ‘official’ JOC events is discouraged by yourself. I have yet to attend an official JOC day but have heard and seen great things for the organised events which I plan to attend in the future. 

Hi Callum,

We moved this forum to this new platform last year. We opened and encouraged the Members Organised Events section which historically was not there. 

When we make our single largest expenditure each year, our club insurance, we are reminded that JOC club events are separate from any others and for the benefit of all members we seek to avoid any confusion. Thus the request to post in appropriate sections.

As for restricting our settings good point and we will lock down that category as well.  We encourage club membership and sharing amongst members.

Having said that we do have guidelines and rules for the forum. Not in this instance but as an example we have had people/companies with the intent of exploiting our member list for their own commercial gain without following any of our requested protocol, disrespecting active club supporters etc.

Get out there, choose your “six pack” and Jeep on. 

I would rather have the team out on the trails than playing net nanny if you know what I mean. 

Jim

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
19 hours ago, CallumCB said:

Hey Frosty! 

I can’t seem to direct message you on here! If you have Instagram it is @jeepinwanderland. Otherwise let me know and I’ll ping you a message on Facebook!

hi Callum, sorry i am old school, no instagram, or facebook, but my number is 07973563163, i do also have watsap on that number, please feel free to send me a massage and say " hi".

• Platinum Member
Wildjeeper62
On 14/06/2020 at 13:36, Jim said:

Hi Callum

The reason why any member can freely post in this section is so that they can post their interest in the event, ask any questions and the like.

I have now changed that the JOC Team only can create new topics in this section and members can still post replies to topics.

Jim C

Hi Jim,

Sorry could you confirm something for me please?

When you say  " I have now changed that the JOC Team only can create new topics in this section and members can still post replies to topics." do you mean the Admin Team or do you mean the paying members only or any of the VIP, Gold and Silver members can create new topics?

• Like 1