WK2 tyres.

Fireman Iain

Fireman Iain

Anyone know if I can go up to 275/55r20 on my 2017 GC Overland? With quadralift obviously. 

The standard 265/50 size has very little choice in decent all terrains. It’s Cooper AT3 or nowt. The slightly bigger size give loads of choice, but I don’t want to make any body mods or suffer tyre rub. I think it’ll be fine, anyone know for sure?

• Platinum Member

I thought that the Overland came standard with 20"?  Our 2012 Overland has 20" tyres as standard.

• Platinum Member
18 hours ago, PDB said:

20" wheels may have been a marketing decision based on popular trends. The WK originally had 17" wheels. Mine was a 2010 S-Ltd with 18" wheels specific to the model. I changed back down to 17s.

If the front disks and calipers have not increased in size from the WK (I think they probably have) then smaller wheels might fit. I'm guessing that you may be able to fit 18" wheels on the the WK2, which will help with tyre size options. But maybe it isn't possible???

On the 2012 Overland with the 20" tyre the spare is a 18" tyre so changing to 18" should not be a problem or changing from 18" to 20" should not be an issue either.  However it must be remembered that the spare will have to remain a 18" tyre.

• Platinum Member

Hi , 

Well, this is only my guess. My WK is on 18" wheels from new (2010) I think this size was an option over the 17". As far as I am concerned it was therefore a standard size.

I am considering changing my car this year and have been looking around. One likely option is WK2 and I looked at one. It had 20" wheels,was 2018 and it  LOOKED to me that the discs and ,therefore , likely the calipers were larger than mine. This is important to me because very low profile tyres are the last thing I want.  Some WK2s DO have 18" but whether they are the same  offset etc I don't know.

• Platinum Member
17 minutes ago, digger said:

Hi , 

Well, this is only my guess. My WK is on 18" wheels from new (2010) I think this size was an option over the 17". As far as I am concerned it was therefore a standard size.

I am considering changing my car this year and have been looking around. One likely option is WK2 and I looked at one. It had 20" wheels,was 2018 and it  LOOKED to me that the discs and ,therefore , likely the calipers were larger than mine. This is important to me because very low profile tyres are the last thing I want.  Some WK2s DO have 18" but whether they are the same  offset etc I don't know.

The OP's post was regarding a 2017 WK2 and I suspect there is virtually no difference between the 2017 and 2018?  Best is to ask the dealer or Jeep themselves.

• Platinum Member
On 27/05/2020 at 12:42, Fireman Iain said:

Anyone know if I can go up to 275/55r20 on my 2017 GC Overland? With quadralift obviously. 

The standard 265/50 size has very little choice in decent all terrains. It’s Cooper AT3 or nowt. The slightly bigger size give loads of choice, but I don’t want to make any body mods or suffer tyre rub. I think it’ll be fine, anyone know for sure?

On a 2016 WK2 SRT I run 275/50/20 in the winter no prob. Good fit. Good ride and not as harsh as the 295’s nor as low of a profile 

DCC3810C-CD56-4728-935F-57C2D9DE1E29.jpeg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I run 275/50/20 winter tyres on the wife’s SRT 2016 no probs 

EBE20615-85F8-4497-9D31-265DB7F97E71.jpeg

Fireman Iain

Thanks Volant, that’s just what I wanted. Someone who’s used them and knows they’re ok. I can get BFG KO2’s in that size, which I’ve always liked. 

• Platinum Member

I looked at Michelin, BFGs and also Coopers for my 2012 Jeep GC however after reading reviews regarding comfort, noise, handling i.e. road grip etc they were not recommended by other Jeep owners.   I eventually bought Continental tyres and have done approximately 11k and find them okay.  On a previous 2005 Jeep GC  I had 17" Michelin Latitude Cross 111H.  Excellent tyres in dry and wet.  If they were available in 20" I would have bought them instead of the Continentals. 

Fireman Iain

I’ve just found out I can get a hefty discount on Cooper tyres through a deal they offer to Mountain Rescue team members. So it looks like I’ll be going for their Discoverer AT3 4s after all. 

• 2 months later...
Fireman Iain

Got the bigger tyres fitted a few weeks back. They’re snug for clearance, especially for the front strut, but there’s no rubbing at all, on any ride height. 

We had a good day on some North York’s lanes last weekend, mostly rocky, so no real test of grip, but they survived Monket Hause unscathed, which is where I wrecked my road tyres. 

3A9CB729-BB96-4D35-A630-5D61A18FBCA3.jpeg

BE7FEEBD-746A-4EBF-808A-5B82FEF1988B.jpeg

• Like 1

Where could you source 265/50R20 Cooper AT3s? I couldn't find them on any website in the UK when last I looked. I am not too keen to go up a size, though your pictures show some clearance still. 

I've changed from Nexen to Kumho, as the former were very noisy, and the directional tread pattern made rotation difficult. The Nexens wore rapidly on the front, too. Nether brand are what I would call 'all terrain', though I do very little travel off tarmac or gravel these days.

Fireman Iain
1 hour ago, Gerald F said:

Where could you source 265/50R20 Cooper AT3s? I couldn't find them on any website in the UK when last I looked. I am not too keen to go up a size, though your pictures show some clearance still. 

I've changed from Nexen to Kumho, as the former were very noisy, and the directional tread pattern made rotation difficult. The Nexens wore rapidly on the front, too. Nether brand are what I would call 'all terrain', though I do very little travel off tarmac or gravel these days.

I got mine direct from Cooper Tire Europe, via a deal they offer for Mountain Rescue team members. they didn’t have the 265/50r20 in stock at the time, but 4x4tyres.co.uk were showing loads.

its early days for mine, but I’m very impressed with them, no noticeable increase in noise, nor fuel consumption, although I don’t pay much attention to that. And they give me far more confidence to get off the beaten track. 

• Like 1

Ian,

Thanks for that info; I'll check again in a few thousand miles. I had AT3's on my WK Jeep (17" wheels), and they were as good in every way as the original Goodyear Wranglers, and lasted longer to boot. We got them for a trip to Morocco, and they took us down some very ropey tracks, and literally across the sands of the desert, without ever getting stuck, much to the annoyance of the Land Rover drivers who made up most of the expedition.

Regards,

Gerald