Black jk build

TDean122

• Platinum Member

So here’s my JK decided to start a thread as I’ve just spent the day fitting some parts so here’s how I got the jeep. 

fuel 17” wheels with rugged ridge tube bumpers front and rear 

66F2D95D-3A62-4981-B3EC-9AF2D85753FE.jpeg

• Platinum Member

And here is the jeep a year after so far I have fitted Some mods but done a lot of maintenance as well 

33” cooper tyres 

terra flex ball joints 

spicer U joints on the front 

Led headlights and turn signals 

rugged ridge hd tyre carrier 
rough country 2.5” spacer lift (Will slowly be upgraded) 

There’s other little things I’ve forgotten about too 

Today I replaced the tube front bumper that come with the jeep and fitted a rugged ridge HD stubby bumper with xstryker along with my old winch max winch with some fresh synthetic line.

And to finish it off some gear America Uber shackles! 

AE115A40-4EB3-4EC5-8662-799E589B7495.jpeg

E0BAD4A5-6315-4BC5-B7ED-D9F8D70CDCCD.jpeg

22EC6599-A87E-4EEE-98B7-682B70631337.jpeg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

looks great, i like the front bumper, would there be room below the winch for an auxiliary transmission cooler ?

you need to add half doors, then it would look fantastic 😃

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, frosty said:

looks great, i like the front bumper, would there be room below the winch for an auxiliary transmission cooler ?

you need to add half doors, then it would look fantastic 😃

Thank you, I wouldn’t think it would be easy to fit a trans cooler as it’s very tight with the cross member and the winch tray brackets it’s a bit of a pain tightening all the bolts.

I have never thought about half doors... you’re putting ideas in my head that my wallet ain’t approving of haha 

• Platinum Member

thanks for the bumper info, i might see if i can get mine galvanize dipped then powder coated, i know what you mean about the half doors, it is a very expensive Mod.

• Platinum Member
4 hours ago, frosty said:

thanks for the bumper info, i might see if i can get mine galvanize dipped then powder coated, i know what you mean about the half doors, it is a very expensive Mod.

Definitely going with a galv dip first would be a brilliant idea. My rugged ridge tube bumper rusted very badly. This bumper has 3 years warranty but I doubt it will cover rust as stone chips are inevitable 

• Platinum Member
11 hours ago, TDean122 said:

Definitely going with a galv dip first would be a brilliant idea. My rugged ridge tube bumper rusted very badly. This bumper has 3 years warranty but I doubt it will cover rust as stone chips are inevitable 

unfortunately most stuff that comes from the states is actually made in china, and the quality of the metal is terrible, also parts from the states are not made with our climate in mind, my rear winch bumper is from olympic, in USA,  good build quality, but it was rusting   from the inside out after 6 months,  the main structure is not too bad, but all the fitting are rubbish, i have found it is better to treat anything you buy, as if it was bare metal, rust proof everything, even then they will still rust, as you said the only way is to galvanize dip and powder coat everything, we live and learn. 

• Like 1

Nice jeep! I think some aftermarket fenders would look great imo. I know what people are saying about the Rugged Ridge build quality. Mine has a few stone chips after a year and rusts in part, its "cheap" to buy in the USA but here in the UK we get shafted with he shipping an import fees so pay so much more than what its actually worth; yet we have no other option I'm afraid. 

Maybe in a few months before winter ill get them stripped and galvanise/painted.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
7 hours ago, peaty94 said:

Nice jeep! I think some aftermarket fenders would look great imo. I know what people are saying about the Rugged Ridge build quality. Mine has a few stone chips after a year and rusts in part, its "cheap" to buy in the USA but here in the UK we get shafted with he shipping an import fees so pay so much more than what its actually worth; yet we have no other option I'm afraid. 

Maybe in a few months before winter ill get them stripped and galvanise/painted.

Aftermarket fenders have been on my mind since I got the jeep... was considering getting ones and having them done gloss black but i also am leaning to them as they will be harder to scratch when offroad. The only issue is I can’t bring myself to do it I just love the big bulky painted factory fenders too 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting the RC 2.5 spacer kit fitting in a couple of weeks. You've been obviously running with it for a month now, do you think it might need the stabilizer kit? Are you happy with the kit as it is? 

• Platinum Member
21 hours ago, Karlos said:

I'm getting the RC 2.5 spacer kit fitting in a couple of weeks. You've been obviously running with it for a month now, do you think it might need the stabilizer kit? Are you happy with the kit as it is? 

Hi, I don’t have any issues with the kit have went really hard offroad with it too. My kit come with new stabiliser links for the rear and if I mind right you fit the old rear ones to the front. But today my front ones have started knocking so time for new ones. 

3D8E7D9E-6011-43DB-824D-7C29231F904A.jpeg

• Like 1

The kit I bought doesn't come with the stabilizer, should I be thinking about getting one before I get the spacers added?

It does mention that I can buy a rear track bar bracket to sort the axial alignment which they call 'insignificant'

image.jpg

• Platinum Member

with a 2" lift you will not need to fit a rear track bar brkt, and you will not need a  stabilizer,  you will be good to go as it is, but make sure you fit the shock extensions, otherwise you could destroy your shock absorbers. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member
On 24/06/2020 at 22:31, Karlos said:

The kit I bought doesn't come with the stabilizer, should I be thinking about getting one before I get the spacers added?

It does mention that I can buy a rear track bar bracket to sort the axial alignment which they call 'insignificant'

image.jpg

sorry for late reply have just seen this, Mines is a 2.5” lift kit, I forgot I got the old man emu rear track bar relocation bracket for a 2.5” lift not sure if it’s needed but I read it’s better to have. Also the kit i purchased supplied 2 new drop links that were fitted to the rear and the stock rear drop links got moved to the front. They didn’t last long on the front however they were old and I was off-roading very hard so I have upgraded to the 2.5” quick disconnects from RC. 

hope you have gotten it figured out and managed to install it okay. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Well I’m very impressed with the quick disconnect sway bars. She now flexes with ease.  Also gave it a good clean just to get dirty again! 

Fitted a best top soft top to replace the original Mopar roof that had started to leak due to a small tear so no more leaks for now. 

2112AB74-53E6-49BB-9439-6CDCF185CABC.jpeg

A245428C-8D25-4B38-8719-ED38659B729D.jpeg

9674BBA2-F8FE-4F75-92CE-C6821A644FEE.jpeg

7221435A-2859-4E2D-AF10-B002E3B68218.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Platinum Member

So had a week off and decided to get some maintenance done on the JK.  Serviced the transmission then got round to doing the timing belt.

For anyone doing a timing belt on the 2.8CRD 2012- the timing tool is hard to find most are for 07-12. The 07-12 tool will work if you drill the centre of the camshaft locking tool out a bit to fit over the bolt on the cam. I used a 26mm drill as it was the largest but I’m sure a 15mm would do. 

I then decided to pop the front fenders off and sort some clips and treated the chassis as there were some small bits of surface rust begin to appear. 

finally topped off with a nice new rigid industries 50” radiance light bar! 

8B2F743D-6649-4BE9-A31D-6BCC00DF371C.jpeg

4E8DC872-6A0A-4724-919C-77301064AD45.jpeg

0DA7A6D6-1FE4-44CF-BFDF-A37A64BEBADA.jpeg

9C05A7F2-7621-45F0-9110-8538A5D23336.jpeg

82ED2983-2D5D-4147-9084-6998612415C5.jpeg

024AB309-F10B-4844-956F-C1D08B8D9C7C.jpeg

5045980E-7B91-4CF2-8AD0-7FCE50E13D91.jpeg

26DB1125-453F-4E6C-A37F-FD9B4306B2B1.jpeg

• Like 2