2017 Rubicon

Davethepioneer

• Platinum Member
Davethepioneer

Just wondering if anyone with more knowledge than me can give me a figure as to what my Wrangler is worth. 

It’s a 2017 4 door Rubicon Recon 3.8 V6 petrol in white, immaculate condition with just under 20000 miles on the clock with full service history. Obviously it has the hardtop freedom panel roof and has a complete soft top never used still in the box. Full leather, air con, elec disconnect etc. It’s as standard as it came of the production line

Edited by Davethepioneer

That’s a tough question... 

we all know there very rare being a recon ...so that probably makes it harder to value .. 

id have a stab at the early 30’s ... but I’m no car dealer and I have noticed the new jl’s getting cheeper 😏

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I was offered around 21/22K for my 2016 JKU Rubicon with a few mods but not Offroad. 33k mileage. FSH. That was against a JLUR with a very decent discount before Covid started. Private sale a bit more. 

Edited by tedthefed
Spelling
  • Like 1

• Administrators

There were only 10 4dr Recon JK's built in RHD as a Special request from JOC made to Jeep HQ directly as only 2 dr versions had been allocated to our market! Price should be higher than a standard Rubicon. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Davethepioneer

This is very interesting. The back story is basically I bought a 4 door black edition from new, in the 9 months that I owned it, it was at Jeep for 6 month of the 9, I had 16 hire cars in that time from Enterprise arranged through jeep but enterprise had to keep changing the vehicle. I had major issues with leaks, not just a little one as I could live with that. Anyway I’d had enough at this point as I was paying £352 a month for a car I’d only driven 3 month so I managed to find the ceo email address and emailed him. I demanded 9 months payments back and a brand new car at no extra cost to me. The ceo was perplexed as to how I’d managed to get his personal email, anyway they said let ya try one more time to fix it. They sent over from Italy what they called a flying doctor. Anyway he spent a week on it and finally he said it was repaired. I turned up to the dealership to collect it, the manager said it was perfect. I took 4 litres of water out of my day sack and a Collapsible 2 step and empty the water on the roof. All 4 litres entered the car. I turned to the manager and all the staff that were watching me that it’s not fixed. He actually refused to fix it and told me I should have bought a land rover. Anyway I sent the footage to the ceo he authorised every penny I’d paid to be returned and a new car given. Unfortunately there wasn’t many jeeps about, they offered me a top spec Cherokee but I wanted a wrangler. The only new one they had was a 3.8 v6 rubicon recon. I said I would take it but would not pay anymore than £352 a month and they agreed. Yes it was all a pain but I love the wrangler. Anyway the time is coming up to make a choice. I have the £17000 to pay it off completely now but I’m wanting to know if I should trade directly with jeep or pay it off and sell privately as I want the new rubicon with the smaller petrol engine. Anyway that’s the story. I’m persistent and pretty sure they hate me because I’m sure the car I have would have been more than £352 a month    

• Platinum Member
Davethepioneer

No it was the uk ceo Sergio Marchionne he died last year I believe. 

• Platinum Member

My recon 2 door is the same year as yours and has only 10000 miles on the clock. According to autotrader its worth between £31,000 and £35,000. As yours is a 4 door I would think it would be worth more, also there was 10 of yours imported and 40 of mine which make them rare so I would think value would be slightly higher. Future classic if you can keep it I think!

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Davethepioneer

Cheers mate. I didn’t even know there was so few mate until someone said. In all honesty I would keep it if the engine was smaller hence why I’m thinking of going for a 2ltr JL It’s an fantastic vehicle in amazing condition. It’s never even been off road yet. 

• Platinum Member
Davethepioneer

Two dealerships have said they are struggling to come up with a price for this vehicle which doesn’t really help me. 

• Platinum Member
On 15/05/2020 at 18:09, Davethepioneer said:

Cheers mate. I didn’t even know there was so few mate until someone said. In all honesty I would keep it if the engine was smaller hence why I’m thinking of going for a 2ltr JL It’s an fantastic vehicle in amazing condition. It’s never even been off road yet. 

Why do you want a smaller engine Dave? The 3.6 Pentastar is a pretty good engine in the Wrangler......in my opinion. The 2.0L turbo in the JL doesn’t really give you a whole lot more of anything. I’d keep it if I were you, you got a good deal in the end in spite of your original difficulties with the Black Edition, if all you have to come up with is 17K to keep it. The JL is nice, no doubt but I don’t see the 2.0L as being one of it’s big pluses.

...........also, you really should take a Recon off road 😉👍

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Davethepioneer

In all honesty I was thinking more about fuel economy or is there not much in it? The 3.6 does like it’s fuel and I was thinking the 2.0 would drink less basically 

• Platinum Member
38 minutes ago, John said:

Bear in mind that these will be US gallons in these figures. My 3.6 JKUR gives me about 23 mpg imperial on average ( has been as high as 25 but not often ) and I’m happy with that. Yes the 2.0L will probably give give you a couple more on the mpg, but not massively noticeable. If it’s just fuel economy you are after you would be better off going for the diesel. I’ve driven the 2.0L JLU and it’s a nice enough drive, lots of get up and go and very smooth, but not worth switching my 3.6 for.......in my opinion again.

33 minutes ago, TimC said:

Bear in mind that these will be US gallons in these figures. My 3.6 JKUR gives me about 23 mpg imperial on average ( has been as high as 25 but not often ) and I’m happy with that. Yes the 2.0L will probably give give you a couple more on the mpg, but not massively noticeable. If it’s just fuel economy you are after you would be better off going for the diesel. I’ve driven the 2.0L JLU and it’s a nice enough drive, lots of get up and go and very smooth, but not worth switching my 3.6 for.......in my opinion again.

As another 3.6 Rubicon owner, I agree with Tim. There is not enough to tempt me  out of the 3.6 if we are just talking engine and mpg.

Another factor is that the 3.6 is a tried and tested combination for the JK, whereas the 2.0 in the JL is a new entry for the drivetrain combination. I’m sure that the 2.0 will be reliable, but again a Recon 3.6 Rubicon sat on the drive would be they way to go for me.

I checked out the registrations and although 10 were imported, it looks like only 9 were ever registered, so no wonder you are struggling to get a price for trade in.

• Platinum Member
Davethepioneer

Have to say I hate diesel, I’m a petrol head at heart and yes it’s just primarily for the fuel. Mine give 23mpg 

• Platinum Member
Davethepioneer
49 minutes ago, neal said:

As another 3.6 Rubicon owner, I agree with Tim. There is not enough to tempt me  out of the 3.6 if we are just talking engine and mpg.

Another factor is that the 3.6 is a tried and tested combination for the JK, whereas the 2.0 in the JL is a new entry for the drivetrain combination. I’m sure that the 2.0 will be reliable, but again a Recon 3.6 Rubicon sat on the drive would be they way to go for me.

I checked out the registrations and although 10 were imported, it looks like only 9 were ever registered, so no wonder you are struggling to get a price for trade in.

Yes I believe a red one went to Australia, I’m sure that’s what I read. 

2 hours ago, Davethepioneer said:

Yes I believe a red one went to Australia, I’m sure that’s what I read. 

Yes, the Red one was Stuart’s which would make the 10th.

• Platinum Member
15 hours ago, Davethepioneer said:

Two dealerships have said they are struggling to come up with a price for this vehicle which doesn’t really help me. 

Dave,

Struggling to understand why two dealerships are unable to give you a price for your Black Edition.

I've also got a black edition.  And, like you had issues with water ingress (less comes in with the softtop fitted).  

In conversation with the guys at Unity about possibly replacing with a JL, I was offered around £22k trade-in on mine.

If your only concern is fuel economy, I'd look at something completely different.  I think the JL 2.0l does return slightly better mpg.  If you're going to mod this will reduce; Alex at Buzz will attest to this fact.

Depending on where you are based in the Uk whether you are willing to travel for the right deal, have a chat with Unity Automotive in Kidlington, or Horsham jeep.  Both have been used by members of JOC.  Both seem to understand the JK JL market in the UK

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Davethepioneer
1 minute ago, fen01 said:

Dave,

Struggling to understand why two dealerships are unable to give you a price for your Black Edition.

I've also got a black edition.  And, like you had issues with water ingress (less comes in with the softtop fitted).  

In conversation with the guys at Unity about possibly replacing with a JL, I was offered around £22k trade-in on mine.

If your only concern is fuel economy, I'd look at something completely different.  I think the JL 2.0l does return slightly better mpg.  If you're going to mod this will reduce; Alex at Buzz will attest to this fact.

Depending on where you are based in the Uk whether you are willing to travel for the right deal, have a chat with Unity Automotive in Kidlington, or Horsham jeep.  Both have been used by members of JOC.  Both seem to understand the JK JL market in the UK

Morning mate. I don’t have the black edition anymore, they took that back and gave me the last Wrangler that was available. Turns out is was a Rubicon Recon and because there were only 10 made for the uk they have said they are struggling to give a price. In other words they want to give me the bare minimum and then no doubt market the car for sale as being rare. From what I’ve read the new JL does give better fuel economy and as for mods it’s pretty much a daily car so not really doing any of that. Yes I agree I could go for any other modern car and get amazing fuel economy but it’s just not the beast that is the wrangler and I just love the wrangler lol 

• Platinum Member
Davethepioneer
7 hours ago, neal said:

Yes, the Red one was Stuart’s which would make the 10th.

Thank you, I thought I’d read it somewhere .

• Platinum Member
Davethepioneer

So can anyone at all give me a ball park figure as to what I could sell this car at? As previously mentioned two dealerships have no idea and in their words are struggling with a price. The wealth of knowledge on this forum is outstanding so someone should hopefully know. Thanks in advance 

• Platinum Member
54 minutes ago, Davethepioneer said:

So can anyone at all give me a ball park figure as to what I could sell this car at? As previously mentioned two dealerships have no idea and in their words are struggling with a price. The wealth of knowledge on this forum is outstanding so someone should hopefully know. Thanks in advance 

unless there is someone on here in the trade, you're more than likely to get a very subjective price.

As mentioned before, speak to the guys at Unity Automotive, Kidlington.  Of all the Jeep dealers I have dealt with, they know their onions.  They also have a lot of JL Stock, some standard, some where they have modified themselves.

I suppose at best, you'd be looking at £25k.  I don't think the fact it is a limited edition vehicle will make much difference to the price in the UK.  Seems most people buying Wranglers now and looking at the JLs as they now come with engine transmission set ups most in the UK are used to.  For some worth, if you look at Jeep.com the number of special editions they sell is say above the number available on jeep.co.uk.

• Like 1

I would speak to Dean at Horsham for a price.

I would tend to disagree with Fen01 to some degree. The Recon is the last of the JKUR’s in the UK and has some added tech over the standard Rubicon. Axle truss and some other stuff I can’t remember.

So if you can find the right buyer, it should still achieve a premium over other JKU’s of the same age. But as mentioned you are up against dealer deals on the JL and the different engine sizes.

The challenge is to find that buyer. Even dealers like Unity and Horsham will struggle to find that buyer. Most will see the Recon as different badges and different interior rather than the extra tech upgrades.

You can at least get a price via auto trader for a 3.6 JKUR and go from there.

• Like 1