HowardB

06 Cherokee V6 Limited

Surfer

Hi Digger, started at £58 for first year and then dropped to about £35 for the other two years.  Still got about 18 months left on it.

Surfer

The Merc engine came in 2005 until 2011 and then it changed to the VM engine.  I strongly suggest that you avoid Arnold Clark however do a search on the name first before taking my word..

PDB
Posted (edited)

Hi Diģger. All good here thanks, hope you are too.

Crossed wires I think. WK that are left hand drive are WH. Check your VIN. There is a chance that the WH is only the diesel version, or non USA version. Essentially they are the same. 

I didn't mean that most cars are looked after properly. I meant that most cars are well engineered these days with warranty competition and anti lemon laws. So if they have been well looked after, there should be little to worry about.

And as you point out, that is the problem! How do you know? Hence my Lara Croft quip.

In other words, Howard should not worry about the model per se, but how it has been treated. If I purchase and run a second hand car for a year of hard miles and it proves reliable, its a keeper for a long time, because the gamble likely paid off, and I dont want to gamble again with another questionable purchase and be worse off.

Edited by PDB

PDB

Oops. I meant WH is just a RIGHT hand drive WK. The aussies call them WH too. But I'm not sure if the European left hand drive version is also a WH? Anyway. Essentially they are the same vehicle with slight differences for certain markets. In summary, a WH is a WK, 2005-2010.

A WK2 is a later, different model completely (with independent front and rear suspension and a new, stiffer mercedes chassis), 2011 to the present.

The WH/WK isn't that big a car Howard, is similar to the KJ, and you should find more options. Just a thought.

digger

I thought merc engines came in at 2002 , WK 2005-2010 and WK2 (2011+)  LHD version was WH.  Try looking at WIKI-- jeep grand cherokee.

I may be completely wrong here but I thought the V6 petrol engines were earlier/later versions of the pentastar engine which is supposed to be really good.

Thanks for the service plan info. I presume your figures are per month?

PDB is right, WK is not that big., sort of mid size I reckon.  You will see this if you park by a Commander or, dare I say it an RR. A KJ is a little shorter and  quite a bit narrower. My side drive access width is limited, the Kj was easy, The WK is tight but the Commander I tried would not pass.  Both latter with mirrors in.

PDB

Well WH remains a mystery - Vince seems to know about this sort of thing. The WJ was called a WG if it was made by Steyr in Graz in Austria (I used to work around those parts and see Steyr vehicles, who made them for jeep). Maybe that's it - Graz made the WK for Europe and Oz market and WH is the code for Graz?

I know the WJ/WG had a Merc 2.7 diesel option - which was a straight 6 diesel I think, and injector seals were the issue. The Merc V6 diesel OM642 came in with the WK/WH with the Merc WA580 gearbox, also found in the Merc ML and lots of other Mercs. 

HowardB

I must admit, guys (is that a sexist assumption?) that you've given me lots to think about.

If anything, you've complicated matters! I had ruled out of consideration the Grand Cherokee, now I have to consider that as well.

One, basic, fact about both engines, the VM 2.8CRD in the Cherokee and the "Merc" 3.0CRD in the Grand Cherokee (I'm not falling onto the WH /WK trap!!) that I haven't established is whether they are cambelt, or chain driven? I realise that, theoretically, they COULD be gear driven, but think that's unlikely. If either are belt driven, at what mileage / age should belts be changed? What else should be changed at the same time? Water pump is common with many makes, Volvo especially.

Thanks again, for your help

Surfer
27 minutes ago, HowardB said:

I must admit, guys (is that a sexist assumption?) that you've given me lots to think about.

If anything, you've complicated matters! I had ruled out of consideration the Grand Cherokee, now I have to consider that as well.

One, basic, fact about both engines, the VM 2.8CRD in the Cherokee and the "Merc" 3.0CRD in the Grand Cherokee (I'm not falling onto the WH /WK trap!!) that I haven't established is whether they are cambelt, or chain driven? I realise that, theoretically, they COULD be gear driven, but think that's unlikely. If either are belt driven, at what mileage / age should belts be changed? What else should be changed at the same time? Water pump is common with many makes, Volvo especially.

Thanks again, for your help

The 3.0L is the better engine without a doubt.  Nowhere in the service manual does it recommend that the cambelt needs to be changed so assume that it si a chain but check with a Jeep dealer to confirm.

PDB

Yes the Merc V6 OM642 is a chain drive. I asked my uncle haulier when the chain drive should be changed. He said they will get unbearably noisy way before they will fail, and its unlikely to fail. Mine is 155k and quiet as a mouse. It is a very smooth engine. The OM642 regularly makes it into the top 10 diesel engine lists.

This site tells you what you need to know about known issues. They were all solved I presume after 2009, because I have never had an issue. Just the EGR valve.

PDB

Nice propaganda on the OM642 attached. Did it for me. : )

OM642.pdf

jerryg

The 2.8 VM in a KJ is Belt Driven. Change at 100000 miles, according to Owners Manual, BUT, change at 7 years anyway. And it is a pig!

Hidden behind two covers, quite a lot of front end dismantling, need cam shaft & crank shaft locking tools, but can make your own. Another poor enginering design (VM engine not Jeep) the cam shaft sprockets are not keyed on the shaft, they are just bolted on! What?! So extra effort needed to ensure timing correct.

(why oh why do they not design engines so that the pistons don't smash the valves if the belt fails. All for the sake of a few millimetres. Answers on a post card please! And don't say weight saving on something that weighs over a ton! Or just use a more robust chain drive.)

(or try the trick I saw on TV - car rescue or something - when the cam belt is exposed, cut it in half around its full length, and leave half the belt on. Slide new belt on to sprockets, part way obviously, then cut away remainder of old belt. Timing not disturbed. Might not be feasible on this engine but worth a look! No good if you want to change the water pump of course, which is recommended whilst you have the front end apart.)

HowardB

Thanks Jerry. I had a feeling (in my water?!) that it might be belt. Yet not a single KJ I've seen advertised makes any mention of the belt being changed. Most car makes, it's very common knowledge, so usually commented in sales blurb, if its (claimed!) been carried out. Possibly because there are so few, comparitively, KJ's on the market.

Looks like I might have to save up some more pennies, and wait for a Grand Cherokee

PDB

I think the WKs are holding good value. I keep receiving emails from Pentagon to sell mine back to them. I can recommend Pentagon by the way - Barnsley branch. But a good reputation as a group.