06 Cherokee V6 Limited

HowardB

• Platinum Member

I must admit, guys (is that a sexist assumption?) that you've given me lots to think about.

If anything, you've complicated matters! I had ruled out of consideration the Grand Cherokee, now I have to consider that as well.

One, basic, fact about both engines, the VM 2.8CRD in the Cherokee and the "Merc" 3.0CRD in the Grand Cherokee (I'm not falling onto the WH /WK trap!!) that I haven't established is whether they are cambelt, or chain driven? I realise that, theoretically, they COULD be gear driven, but think that's unlikely. If either are belt driven, at what mileage / age should belts be changed? What else should be changed at the same time? Water pump is common with many makes, Volvo especially.

Thanks again, for your help

• Platinum Member
27 minutes ago, HowardB said:

I must admit, guys (is that a sexist assumption?) that you've given me lots to think about.

If anything, you've complicated matters! I had ruled out of consideration the Grand Cherokee, now I have to consider that as well.

One, basic, fact about both engines, the VM 2.8CRD in the Cherokee and the "Merc" 3.0CRD in the Grand Cherokee (I'm not falling onto the WH /WK trap!!) that I haven't established is whether they are cambelt, or chain driven? I realise that, theoretically, they COULD be gear driven, but think that's unlikely. If either are belt driven, at what mileage / age should belts be changed? What else should be changed at the same time? Water pump is common with many makes, Volvo especially.

Thanks again, for your help

The 3.0L is the better engine without a doubt.  Nowhere in the service manual does it recommend that the cambelt needs to be changed so assume that it si a chain but check with a Jeep dealer to confirm.

• Platinum Member

The 2.8 VM in a KJ is Belt Driven. Change at 100000 miles, according to Owners Manual, BUT, change at 7 years anyway. And it is a pig!

Hidden behind two covers, quite a lot of front end dismantling, need cam shaft & crank shaft locking tools, but can make your own. Another poor enginering design (VM engine not Jeep) the cam shaft sprockets are not keyed on the shaft, they are just bolted on! What?! So extra effort needed to ensure timing correct.

(why oh why do they not design engines so that the pistons don't smash the valves if the belt fails. All for the sake of a few millimetres. Answers on a post card please! And don't say weight saving on something that weighs over a ton! Or just use a more robust chain drive.)

(or try the trick I saw on TV - car rescue or something - when the cam belt is exposed, cut it in half around its full length, and leave half the belt on. Slide new belt on to sprockets, part way obviously, then cut away remainder of old belt. Timing not disturbed. Might not be feasible on this engine but worth a look! No good if you want to change the water pump of course, which is recommended whilst you have the front end apart.)

• Platinum Member

Thanks Jerry. I had a feeling (in my water?!) that it might be belt. Yet not a single KJ I've seen advertised makes any mention of the belt being changed. Most car makes, it's very common knowledge, so usually commented in sales blurb, if its (claimed!) been carried out. Possibly because there are so few, comparitively, KJ's on the market.

Looks like I might have to save up some more pennies, and wait for a Grand Cherokee