Advice needed: Claerwen Reservoir

V

• Platinum Member

I have been plotting some byway routes today and I have come across an anomaly on OSMaps where a section of highway is recorded differently between Landranger and Explorer series.

Between the following points:

SN 89490 61668
SN 88648 62219

Landranger resolution 1:50,000 shows the route as a byway in red crosses

Explorer resolution 1:25,000 shows the route as a RESTRICTED byway in green half crosses (or broken crosses)

Does anybody know what the route actually is? I am reasonably certain I have driven it before in a group some time ago. We would have been following a marked up Landranger map. I guess unless it is signposted as a restricted byway at each end I will assume it is an error.

• Platinum Member
Stew the Jeep

Some Jeepers did Claerwen Way recently maybe they can advise? It is a RB on my 1.25 explorer but that allegedly doesn't confirm the number of uniformed police officers monitoring the lane....maybe a call to local ROW dept??

• Platinum Member
10 hours ago, V said:

I have been plotting some byway routes today and I have come across an anomaly on OSMaps where a section of highway is recorded differently between Landranger and Explorer series.

Between the following points:

SN 89490 61668
SN 88648 62219

Landranger resolution 1:50,000 shows the route as a byway in red crosses

Explorer resolution 1:25,000 shows the route as a RESTRICTED byway in green half crosses (or broken crosses)

Does anybody know what the route actually is? I am reasonably certain I have driven it before in a group some time ago. We would have been following a marked up Landranger map. I guess unless it is signposted as a restricted byway at each end I will assume it is an error.

Hi Vince,

I know the one you mean, I have driven it twice in the last 12 months or so and had not noticed the anomaly as I only have landranger maps of the area at 1:50000 which show it as BOAT. Stew is right, another group of Jeepers posted up on here recently and they did this, not sure if they went all the way to the Eastern end or not though. 

At the point where it goes to RB on the 1:25000 ( by the way this also applies when you zoom in with OS digital mapping as well as with paper maps ) there was no signage on the ground that I can recall to say there was any restriction. Trailwise also has this listed as BOAT called Lower Claerwen  all the way through, sourcing info from Powys council and has several comments from people who have driven it.

One other interesting bit I had not noticed is that on both map scales, at the point in question there is another short section that leads from the byway across the river back to the road up to the dam. It is a little difficult to make out exactly what this is on the map as it is so short but trailwise has it listed as BOAT and that is what it looks like on the Landranger. On the 1:25000 it could be bridleway but it’s hard to tell. Either way I reckon this would be a fun river crossing to do, I don’t remember seeing it when we drove it.

Cheers 

• Area Representative

its totally fine to drive and legal and is a great little lane mind the couple of diff bashing rocks lol   been driving it for last 12 years

• Platinum Member
41 minutes ago, Stu2985 said:

its totally fine to drive and legal and is a great little lane mind the couple of diff bashing rocks lol   been driving it for last 12 years

Stu, have you ever done the bit that crosses the river? Not the ford at the north end below the dam, the one half way along?

• Platinum Member
12 hours ago, Stew the Jeep said:

Are we talking dam to Rhiwnant end?

The section in question is from the Southern third of the track, if you start from the Rhiwnant end heading NW towards the dam it’s that first bit up as far as the fords where it crosses Nant y Car. Shows as Byway all the way on 1:50k . I think I remember reading somewhere that the rights of way are always based on OS 1:50k and that takes precedence, one of the problems with being able to zoom with digital mapping.

• Area Representative

Ignore the 125k scale map the entire length from ford by the dam to the farm at Rhiwnant is legal.  There are 100 of mistakesand discrepancies  on ordnanace survey maps.  The legal document that top trumps any other documenmmt is the definative map held by that council. MOst are paper however some have now started putting them online.

I have been driving that entire lane along with 100's pof others for many years.  The ford that crosses it int eh southern part is more a water run off and its all stoney

• Platinum Member
3 hours ago, Stu2985 said:

Ignore the 125k scale map the entire length from ford by the dam to the farm at Rhiwnant is legal.  There are 100 of mistakesand discrepancies  on ordnanace survey maps.  The legal document that top trumps any other documenmmt is the definative map held by that council. MOst are paper however some have now started putting them online.

I have been driving that entire lane along with 100's pof others for many years.  The ford that crosses it int eh southern part is more a water run off and its all stoney

What about this bit? Cuts back across afon Claerwen from the byway back to the tarmac road to the dam. I never noticed this river crossing and didn’t see it on the ground although I wasn’t looking for it.

4AA013AA-9AC8-4A2D-AC87-F732D48A72BA.jpeg

• Area Representative

Ok right I see.  I dont think there is anyway you would get a vehicle across there even if there wa a ford.  Its either a map error and if not then treat it as a non vehicular right of way.  I wouldnt even want to walk across that if it was a footpath.  Ihave asked those more knowledgable than me to double check

Edited by Stu2985
  • Thanks 1

• Area Representative

Ok I have the answer for you.  There is a track that leaves the main road goes down to a patch of grass on the far side of the river.(Very short) You sometimes see  vehicles having a picnic there.  So yes there is a BOAT goes to the river but it doesnt cross the river.  The closeness of the markings on the map makes it look like it does but it doesnt go across the river.  If that makes sense.

Maybe many years ago it was used as a crossing but no longer anymore

• Platinum Member
Chris Roberts

No you need permission at the very top end of the lake from Elan valley trust.

the farmer will block the track if you drive it and won’t let you past without permission 

9124E22E-F723-47F2-9982-2A388BB29A9D.jpeg