Support for Green Lane association to repair iconic lanes

Stu2985

• Area Representative

The Green Lane Association needs your help. 

No matter where you live in the country every green laner and trail rider has heard of Happy Valley, Carn March Arthur (Bearded Lake), The Wayfarer and Horseshoe (also known as the B’stard). Indeed some of you will have driven these lanes on the summer camps or green lane trips.

These are some of the most iconic green lanes in the UK and over winter GLASS have been forming plans with local authorities, national parks and land owners – now it’s time for action!

Due to those choose to act outside the responsible green laning community causing damage, coupled with weather and water erosion we need to take steps to bring these important routes back to their former glory.

Schedule of works:

Happy Valley

After multiple significant storms and usage at inappropriate times by non- GLASS members, significant stone filling is required on saturated land. Approximately 100 tons of stone will be helicoptered in by Snowdonia National Park Authority, funded by GLASS this project will ensure that the work is carried out to a standard that will be sustainable in poor weather and with continued usage. HV is currently under voluntary restraint until work is complete.

Carn March Arthur

Similar issues to those on Happy Valley have caused large waterholes to form, these are large enough to sink a 4x4. Working with Snowdonia National Park, GLASS will fund works to fill these with local stone to improve the RoW surface and water drainage. CMA is currently under voluntary restraint until work is complete.

The Wayfarer

One of the longest lanes in the UK requires work to repair the sleeper section over boggy land. The railway sleepers used to cross this section have become disturbed over time. This route comes under the remit of both Denbighshire and Wrexham county councils, being SSSI land Natural Resources Wales are also involved in any works in the area. Signage denoting the sensitive nature of the surrounding land will be put in place, work will be carried out to repair the bridge, off piste barriers installed, drainage improved and sleepers replaced. The Wayfarer is currently under voluntary restraint until work is complete.

Horseshoe Lane (also known as The B*stard)

Drainage issues have been highlighted by Natural Resources Wales, as has a littering issue around the steps. Work will be carried out to improve surface drainage which will prevent further water erosion and a clean up day will be organised to address the littering issue. Signage will be installed by Snowdonia National Park denoting the one way route along this iconic lane. Horseshoe Lane is currently one way, downhill!

We’ll be digging into our fighting fund to complete each project, but the shortfall needs to be covered. Please help to keep these lanes open and consider Donating.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/greenlaneassociation?utm_term=ZerAvYGpM

Edited by Stu2985
  • Like 1

• Platinum Member

Only, driven Wayfarer of these four but was planning a recce of Horseshoe,Happy Valley and Bomber lane this Spring. Looks like I’ll be postponing that one for a bit. Donation on its way, is there any need for hands on help on any of these Stu or is it mainly being done by contractors?

• Area Representative

HI Tim and thankyou for your donation.   There are some big jobs to do.  There are discussions ongoing with the councils that cover the area on the best way to proceed with the works.  We have to work under their H&S regualtions and compliance. Glass does have its own surveyor who advises to make sure the council are being realistic.  Happy valley proposal for example is  so far is a pretty big undertaking.  Once the plans are finalised if we are looking for vouluneteers I will let you know.  I should point out that this is alongside the council putting in their own time money and equpiment as well.

Happy Valley - VTRO  - counicl have said if its continued to be used they will shut it.  Cameras are placed monitoring the usage 

Bastard / Horseshoe   Voluntary 1 way downhill at the waterfall

Bomber lane I think is ok Apart from where farmer dug a few ruts.  Carn Mach arthur / nearded lake is the lane runs parellel to HV again VTRO as there is a big hole right on the side of the track.  Theres many a 4x4 been stuck in it last few months.

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the status update on the Lanes Stu, so it’s basically keep off Happy Valley and Carn March Arthur until the repairs have been completed, sounds like a long job does it look likely that will be complete this year? Horseshoe is VR one way SW-NE downhill, Bomber is no current restrictions? Let me know if volunteers are required, I will help out if I can. Are  some of these are on Paulo’s patch?

• Platinum Member

As a GLASS member I received this information and appeal for funds. I am happy to contribute and will do so shortly.

However, can we be sure that after these iconic trails have been repaired and restored,  that the anti brigade won't put pressure on the authorities to have them closed to us, or to seriously restrict access? 

• Platinum Member

The anti brigade will always be putting pressure on to have them closed to motorised traffic, that’s the one thing you can be sure of Jerry. They’ll do that whether they are repaired or not but doing the repairs at least gives them one or two less arguments to make; the “it’s not safe” argument and the “look at all the damage” argument. And I heard that even after Lake District National parks authority threw out the claim that the little Langdales was being destroyed by hordes of 4x4s they are still trying to get it shut. Such it will always be until they are all closed. I’ve been laning on and off since the 1980’s and have seen what you can drive drastically cut down over that time. It’s fighting the long defeat but you do what you can and continue to drive the ones that are left while you can until its all made illegal 😕

Such is life........

• Area Representative

Tim.   Yes they are Paulos patch. Will let you know if volunteers required.  Up to council to decide even though we offer help manpower wise.   They will abide by their H&S regs.   One option bring looked at is a helicopter to fly stone into Happy Valley.   !! 

the council won’t fix it then close it.  If they did Glass would launch a legal battle like they did with Water Break it’s neck. 

• Platinum Member

I repaired a track on my own land that included a section of UCR that was also on my property. I had road graded stone from the quarry delivered near to the main road and I rented a 3-ton 4wd dumper to convey the stone to the repair site. It took me a weekend and hundreds of trips back and forth with the dumper but I repaired the UCR (at my expense) and my track as I drove in with each load of stone. I just did a 2m-3m section at a time. Surely, it is more viable to have two or three four wheel drive dump trucks ferry the stone to where it is needed than a helicopter. You will need a passing place or two, a friendly farmer loaning a field entrance in exchange for dumping some stone in it. You may have to drive down a steep hill in reverse with each load of stone as I did but is a helicopter really necessary?

Edited by V

• Area Representative

H V  - I think you know  Happy Valley and the difficulties involved.  The section is right at the top in the middle.  not sure dumper trucks will fit in some of the places between the rock and that wall.  Also some of the slopes maybe bit steep for dumper full of stone.  I belive farmer wants it clsoing so isnt being particularly helpful.  Some voluntary work was done couple years ago using small trailers but the people who did it didnt do a sustainable job and it needs to doing properly.  Helicopter is one option being looked at may not end up being used.