What SatNav for byway route navigation in 2020?

V

• Platinum Member

I have been using Garmin GPS devices for byway route navigation since the tail end of the 20th century. I am currently experimenting with OpenStreetmap routable maps on a Garmin Nuvi 765 using routes created from waypoints in Garmin Basecamp, a Windows application.

What do you use for byway route navigation?

Do you have turn-by-turn directions?

Can your system import Garmin file formats?

What do you like and dislike about your preferred system?

I haven't used Garmin Basecamp much, it took me a long time to let go of MapSource (yes, I am 20th century man), but I am starting to get used to it and I like the following feature for preparing byway routes.

1. I can create routes of waypoints that have been marked on the 'routable highways' on the map. If these routes are predominantly on paved roads I can mark them as 'Driving' routes and the automatic route calculation and optimisation between waypoints uses tarmac roads. By breaking a larger journey up into separate legs, using multiple route sections, I can optimise some as 'Offroad' and these sections will prefer unpaved roads (byways and UCRs).
  2. I can create waypoints that are not on roads or lanes, real off-road waypoints. This is useful if a routable map does not yet include a particular byway. These waypoints can be joined together as a 'Track' then the track can be converted to a 'Route' with 'Direct' optimisation. Distance calculation is accurate but there are no estimated timings for travelling a direct route. It is still very useful for byways that have only been recorded on OpenStreetmap as footpaths by the walkers that hiked them.

• Platinum Member
6 minutes ago, PDB said:

I use Trailwise2 to check the latest intel on access, and ask the regional reps at GLASS for restrictions, voluntary or otherwise. I am the Gwynedd rep for GLASS by the way.

Wow! That would be a great help if you could verify the current lane status or give advice on what GLASS want us to avoid using.

I use OS Maps too (less so for the jeep - more for walking / climbing / cycling / fishing routes) and it's great both on the PC and android app.  Garmin have recently brought out their 'overlander' (£600) which could utilize the .GPX download files.  This works well for me on my garmin devices (watch & hand-held).

• Platinum Member
16 minutes ago, PDB said:

Hi Vince. Tim C introduced me to OS maps app, and I use that now. I also use Geotracker for work based waypoints. Both of these you can export GPX or KML/KMZ files. These upload into Google Earth and other systems. I used to use the GE app but it no longer gives an accurate GPS fix if importing a file.

The OS maps is £25 for the year for the full package of UK maps and aerial plus 3D. You can download maps to use offline too which is very useful. I use Trailwise2 to check the latest intel on access, and ask the regional reps at GLASS for restrictions, voluntary or otherwise. I am the Gwynedd rep for GLASS by the way.

I hope that helps.

Yep........what Paolo said 👍

• Platinum Member

....by the way, didn’t know you were the GLASS rep for Gwynedd  Paolo.......is that a new thing for you?

• Platinum Member

Thanks all for the OS Maps tip. I have a 7" Lenovo tablet that might be the right size for driving with so I will experiment.

• Platinum Member

And one other thing.........since I hate relying on technology as it invariably fails at some point, usually when you need it most, I also still have the routes marked up on actual paper maps as well and carry them as a backup.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Just now, TimC said:

And one other thing.........since I hate relying on technology as it invariably fails at some point, usually when you need it most, I also still have the routes marked up on actual paper maps as well and carry them as a backup.

I used to mark up my paper maps but they would go missing when I couldn't remember who I had lent them to. I still carry paper maps on trips for the same reason, but I tend to use paper notes and tulip diagrams.

• Platinum Member
33 minutes ago, Matt said:

I use OS Maps too (less so for the jeep - more for walking / climbing / cycling / fishing routes) and it's great both on the PC and android app.  Garmin have recently brought out their 'overlander' (£600) which could utilize the .GPX download files.  This works well for me on my garmin devices (watch & hand-held).

Matt, how did you get on with the .GPX routes I sent you for the Lake District, did you do it in the end, did the OS maps import and run them OK and work well?

• Like 1