Cannock Chase Forest - ***EVENT FULL***

Volant165

• Platinum Member

***Event Sold OUT***

The trip starts at 9:30. So anytime from 9 onwards see you there!

The Jeep owners club is pleased to announce a rare 4x4 event to be held within Cannock Chase forest, West Midlands! Saturday September 28th

Come Join the Rangers on this private JOC excursion in your Jeep to explore Cannock Chase Forest. You will be able to enjoy a  drive on Forestry Commission tracks and trails with the opportunity to test your vehicles off road capabilities. It is suitable for all level of drivers and ideal for people with less mobility to get into the wider forest.

Normal access to these tracks is only allowed once per month and has very limited numbers thus often books up months in advance.  We have arranged a special JOC members only day to explore the forest.

A MAXIMUM of 10 vehicles is allowed so once booking goes live you will need to act fast.  You will follow one of the rangers in their 4x4 around the tracks and trails of the huge forest.  **These tracks are private land and not open to normal public in 4x4’s.  The guide will decide on the day the exact tracks to use dependent upon weather conditions and the capabilities of the vehicles.

The trip lasts around 4 hours with a couple of short stops to talk about the bio diversity of the forest.  Imagine one single long green lane around 15 miles long with no road between !!

Once you have completed the trip you are free to go explore the rest of the area. There is a children's play area, woodland walks to suit all ages and abilities, and the best family and mountain biking trails in the region, you will not be stuck for something to do. 

There is also a Go Ape and Café nearby.  Please note during the green lane portion of the trip there will be no food or toilet facilities.

JOC Area rep Stu Pickering wears many hats one of which is a freelance 4x4 writer and who regularly leads green lane trips at our summer camp went on one earlier this year. This is what he had to say:

“At first I was a bit sceptical about this trip.  However I went along and to my surprise thoroughly enjoyed it.  My partner really enjoyed driving the tracks as well.  Everyone else who came along had a great time.  The fact the event is booked up often months in advance with people regularly returning shows how enjoyable it is."

As this is like our Kielder trip, all tickets are £55 and booking will commence with priority access for VIP, then Gold then Silver.

download.jpg

ATTENDEES:

1. TiffTaffToff 
  2. Wildjeeper62
  3. Geoff Meadows
  4. Karlos
  5. Tim Riches
  6. Zapcat52
  7. Stinger
  8. Greggerly
  9. Jason Killian
  10. Volant165

Cannock1.jpg

Cannock2.jpg

fairy.jpg

• Like 1

• Area Representative

Have to say guys its well worth signing up as its a great way to take your vehicle off road without the pressures of an off road site or driving miles on public roads between green lanes.  Think of it as an extended green lane run

• Platinum Member

Noooooooooooooooh!! 😩😩 Would love to do this, looks great...........but I’m in Singapore 🥺

• Area Representative
19 hours ago, TimC said:

Noooooooooooooooh!! 😩😩 Would love to do this, looks great...........but I’m in Singapore 🥺

Tim  if the event is a sucesswe may look to arrange another one. They also do a twilight drive through the forest starting in Novemeber.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
23 hours ago, TimC said:

go and have a look at the jewel when you're there.  We only got to see it from the monorail between terminals.  It's better when you are landside.

4 hours ago, Stu2985 said:

Tim  if the event is a sucesswe may look to arrange another one. They also do a twilight drive through the forest starting in Novemeber.

Stu, 

Cant make this one but the twilight drive sounds interesting 🤔

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, neal said:

Stu, 

Cant make this one but the twilight drive sounds interesting 🤔

hmmmm maybe a Rigid Industries demo night

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
6 hours ago, Stu2985 said:

I’d be interested in the November drive. 

• Area Representative
On 16/08/2019 at 21:49, fen01 said:

I’d be interested in the November drive. 

They start the twilight ones in Novmber.  If teh September trip is a success then we will look at a Dusk one but cant guarantee it would be november jst yet.  We need to get a few more folks interested in this one first.

• Area Representative

For any geocachers out there Cannock chase has tons of them to find as well

• Like 1

I've not done off road before and driving a Wrangler with stock tyres and suspension. I'm wanting to eventually get it off road but was thinking of getting some experience on a course or riding with someone else but would this one be something that a complete novice could do?

10 hours ago, Karlos said:

I've not done off road before and driving a Wrangler with stock tyres and suspension. I'm wanting to eventually get it off road but was thinking of getting some experience on a course or riding with someone else but would this one be something that a complete novice could do?

Karlos 

@Stu2985 would be best place to answer that question, as he has done the event before.

What Wrangler do you have?

If the event is like Kielder, then I expect you would be fine.

49 minutes ago, neal said:

Karlos 

@Stu2985 would be best place to answer that question, as he has done the event before.

What Wrangler do you have?

If the event is like Kielder, then I expect you would be fine.

It's a 2014 JKU (2.8 auto).

I'm just a little concerned as I've not done any off road before and its standard tyres and suspension as well.

• Platinum Member
11 hours ago, Karlos said:

Hi Karlos, Stu said that the rangers will decide on the day which route to take based on the Jeeps that are there and the trail conditions. You would be fine in your wrangler. Stu can confirm.

Jim

• Platinum Member
13 hours ago, Karlos said:

Karlos,

You'll be surprised just how capable Wranglers are running stock.  

I did a quarry day and Salisbury Plain running a 2015 stock JKU.  It still runs stock suspension, I've just replaced standard tyres with All Terrrains.

Should I be getting separate insurance?

I've seen on some of the previous events it specifies insurance but this one doesn't.

• Platinum Member
4 hours ago, Karlos said:

Should I be getting separate insurance?

I've seen on some of the previous events it specifies insurance but this one doesn't.

Hi Karlos,

As with any off road event or green lanes, please check that your own insurance covers you. Two club sponsors A-Plan and Adrian Flux offer policies that cover off road use and discounts for club members.

TiffTaffToff

Hi Karlos, we ran a stock 2017 JKU stock for a year and it was very capable. We did invest in some side panel protectors, I think they are from  Jeepey.com for around £250 and they do provide protection for the paintwork as it is my daily driver. If you do more Off-roading you will want to invest in better tyres, we put on BFG AT2,s and they give you good off road capability and are good on road. I’ve done 25k on mine and they have been great... look forward to seeing you....

16167DB2-CF61-4B16-A1E5-65C361C43B2A.jpeg

Edited by TiffTaffToff
Changed photo

• Area Representative

Karlos you will be absolutely fine your vehicle is more than capable