Hello from the US!

KarnaughMI

• Platinum Member
KarnaughMI

Hello all! Greetings from the US. I was fortunate enough to be selected for an assignment working in London at the US Embassy for three years. I will be living in Putney. The family and I are excited to get to the UK and are even more excited to be bringing our JLUR. It's a 2019 JLUR with the 3.6 Petrol and an Automatic. 

Unfortunately, we can only bring one top with us ... so we are thinking of swapping the hard top and bringing it with the soft top for those warm and sunny UK days ? Any Thoughts or opinions?

I'm really interested in hearing about any challenges I may face with the inspection. We are considering bringing the factory wheels and tires in case the larger ones fail inspection.

Thanks for any assistance!

-Tom

Installed so far:
LOD Signature Sliders
Rancho front diff skid
Rancho rear control arm/shock sliders
Metalcloak rear diff slider
Metalcloak FAD skid and stabilizer relocation
EVO MFG Engine/Trans and Exhaust Loop Skid
Spiderwebshade Sunshade
AEV 2.5" DualSport RT suspension
AEV 17" Pintlers
Mickey-Thompson Baja Boss 37x12.5.x17
Teraflex Tire Carrier
67D Phone Mount
Bartact Paracord Grab Handles
Weathertech floor mats

Coming Soon:
Yeti Front Track Bar
Yeti Steering Stabilizer
Winch (TBD)

JLUR_Side3.JPG

JLUR_Side1.JPG

JLUR_Side2.JPG

Hi and welcome to the club.

We have a few members that have imported their Jeeps and a few threads on the forum of their experiences.

As to which, soft top or hard top. I have a JKUR which I run the premium soft top all year and don’t have any issues with the winter weather. So you would be fine with the soft top for the few days a year you can fold it back.

Depending on where you park it, you might find the soft top is more at risk. Had my windows slash in the past by someone trying to steal kit left inside.

Nice looking JL ??

• Platinum Member
KarnaughMI
14 minutes ago, fen01 said:

Hi and welcome...

Best of luck trying to park your JL in Putney....

Definitely will be days it will be interesting from the photos I have seen, but there seems to be a handful of larger SUVs about the size of the JLU and even larger (Toyota Amazon) parked around the streets where we are living. Worst case ... there will be a 2019 JLUR US Spec, lifted, 3.6 Petrol Auto for sale!! ?

-Tom

• Platinum Member

Hi Tom 

Having owned and parked a JKU and modified Grand Cherokee in London over the years, I would lean towards bringing the hardtop as there is a possibly of someone slashing the top to get at anything inside and more sad is that there are 4x4 haters who might target your Jeep, although they tend to leave nasty notes about you damaging the environment/global warming etc! Do be aware that you might need to get a residents parking permit which could be quite expensive. 

Great looking JLU ?

Cheers

Nick

• Platinum Member

Tom, Welcome, 

Interesting that your coming over..  a very good friend is just leaving there   ....be good to catch up.  

Very nice looking JLU

As above id be inclined to bring it with the hardtop- You can always remove the sections and the roof if you feel the need or indeed have the opportunity.

And as pointed out its a little bit more secure

• Platinum Member
On 06/06/2019 at 14:27, KarnaughMI said:

Definitely will be days it will be interesting from the photos I have seen, but there seems to be a handful of larger SUVs about the size of the JLU and even larger (Toyota Amazon) parked around the streets where we are living. Worst case ... there will be a 2019 JLUR US Spec, lifted, 3.6 Petrol Auto for sale!! ?

-Tom

It wont last long if it is for sale - Id have snapped your hand off!

• Platinum Member
19 hours ago, doodle said:

It wont last long if it is for sale - Id have snapped your hand off!

I don't think you'd be the only one, I reckon there'd be a pretty long line of takers