Hello all

L15A

• Platinum Member

Hi all, I'm new to the group. Just in the process of finding and buying my first jeep (and at 5ft nothing,  lot of foam to pad the seat so I can reach the pedals!!! ?). Great tips on here already. Just thought I would pop by and say Hi ?

• Platinum Member

I’m pretty much set on a Wrangler. Been to see a 1998 model today, needs a bit of tlc including a respray but I think it’s ‘the one’

• Platinum Member

Awesome. Be sure to drive it. I drove a handful of TJ's before buying mine and knew the right one by the way it drove.

• Platinum Member

Why not consider a YJ.  There's some gr8 surviving  YJ's about and they are getting very rare now. Only about 60 left on road in UK  and they are rising in value.

Volant is spot on , make sure you look at plenty whatever you go for. I looked at eleven, out of which four were fit for spares only  (even though three of them had a recent MOT) . the rest were poor apart from two. One was too much for me and I bought the other. Nothing but laughter ever since! Tips on what to look for, just ask, you will get plenty.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
9 hours ago, digger said:

Why not consider a YJ.  There's some gr8 surviving  YJ's about and they are getting very rare now. Only about 60 left on road in UK  and they are rising in value.

Volant is spot on , make sure you look at plenty whatever you go for. I looked at eleven, out of which four were fit for spares only  (even though three of them had a recent MOT) . the rest were poor apart from two. One was too much for me and I bought the other. Nothing but laughter ever since! Tips on what to look for, just ask, you will get plenty.

YJs are cool.......??

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Thanks for the advice. ?I did drive a yj but it was way too raised for little me.i will check out the non raised ones.  Good tips about driving them first, i’d Assumed they would all drive the same!! .  I’m really tight for time due to  work commitments and was going to just buy one either private or maybe from a dealer ? I’ll go try them out now ? It would be really good to get some tips on what to look for so I can ask questions up front to save wasted journeys and also contact any recommended dealers. ? 

• Platinum Member

One thing to look for on YJs is rust where the roll bar bolts onto the tub behind the seats, it’s usually covered by the carpet. Pull back the carpet behind the seats and have a look. Other rust is usually obvious, on the windscreen hinges and along the bottom of the windscreen. 

Can’t help with TJs I’m afraid.