My first Jeep

Gbonesteak

• Platinum Member

So after finally getting rid of my Ford Ranger, the Jeep Grand Cherokee Sport is now my daily driver, but it has caused me some confusion.

So despite it being on an 05 plate which led me to believe it was a WK its actually a 2004 WJ 4.0 litre Inline 6. (not a 4.0 litre V8 as i naively thought, although im not disappointed in the sightest it sounds awesome and goes like stink).

Unfortunately it didnt come with an owners manual so im a little lost as to what tyre pressures need to be (there also doesnt seem to be any info card like other vehicles on the doors/door post). What oil grade to use etc.

Would anyone have a spare owners manual or one lying around that I could buy? I have been to my local Jeep dealership and they cant get a hold of the manuals for that particular model anymore.

Its currently fitted with 225/70/R16 tyres 2 of which need to be replaced soon, but when i put the reg number into any tyre site (black circles, 4x4tyres etc) they came back with 245/70/R16 so again im confused as hell, tempted to order the same size as what is already fitted but a little apprehensive if they are not the right size.

I have however managed to get a Haynes manual that covers the model/engine I have so all hope is not lost.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ill get photos up soon once shes had a good clean and polish, and the dog hairs and dog smell have been removed.

Regards

Grant

• Platinum Member

Hi Grant,

why don’t you start by going to the website below and type in your vin

that will I’ll give you the build sheet telling you exactly what your Jeep is.

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

Jim 

• Platinum Member

Hi Jim, Thanks in advance if you do find a copy of the owners manual, what size tyres do you reccommend for off roading? Im looking at BFG AT KO2 which is what i had on my Ranger, would there need to be any 'fettling' to avoid rubbing if I go up a size.

Hi Volant165 (Jim), Thanks for the link, that shed quite a bit of light on my GC thanks. Been hunting for a website that would give me that level of info from the VIN since i got the GC.

Try wjjeeps.com for all the information you need.

You can rest easy with your choice of engine.........Jeep never made a V8 4.0 litre lump for the GC. 

• 5 months later...
  • Platinum Member
On 18/02/2019 at 11:23, Gbonesteak said:

So after finally getting rid of my Ford Ranger, the Jeep Grand Cherokee Sport is now my daily driver, but it has caused me some confusion.

So despite it being on an 05 plate which led me to believe it was a WK its actually a 2004 WJ 4.0 litre Inline 6. (not a 4.0 litre V8 as i naively thought, although im not disappointed in the sightest it sounds awesome and goes like stink).

Unfortunately it didnt come with an owners manual so im a little lost as to what tyre pressures need to be (there also doesnt seem to be any info card like other vehicles on the doors/door post). What oil grade to use etc.

Would anyone have a spare owners manual or one lying around that I could buy? I have been to my local Jeep dealership and they cant get a hold of the manuals for that particular model anymore.

Its currently fitted with 225/70/R16 tyres 2 of which need to be replaced soon, but when i put the reg number into any tyre site (black circles, 4x4tyres etc) they came back with 245/70/R16 so again im confused as hell, tempted to order the same size as what is already fitted but a little apprehensive if they are not the right size.

I have however managed to get a Haynes manual that covers the model/engine I have so all hope is not lost.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ill get photos up soon once shes had a good clean and polish, and the dog hairs and dog smell have been removed.

Regards

Grant

Well it didnt last long, my Jeep WJ was drowned in a flash flood at the weekend and is a complete write off. Pretty gutted as I had just got it set up how I wanted and it had just been on its first ever off road trip at Kielder the weekend previous.

However I pick up an 05 plate 4.7 V8 WK Limited on Friday. Looking forward to getting it back and getting it tidied up a bit. Might have to do something with the walnut dash trim though, its a little bit too pipe and slippers for my liking.