Sore left leg when driving JKU

BikerSco

• Platinum Member

Has anyone else experienced left leg pain when driving their JKU? It seems to be caused by the fact its an automatic and my left leg doesn't seem to be able to find a comfortable position to sit in. I have tried bringing it out away from the bulkhead but this feels bizarre as I'm used to driving a manual. There seems to be a big bit of bulkhead on the left where the clutch pedal would usually be which makes it very uncomfortable to put my foot there. There isnt much space for my left foot. 

• Platinum Member

No....done 72,000 miles in my JKU and, for me, it’s one of the most comfortable cars I’ve driven which is one reason why I still run it as a daily driver.

.....however I do know what you mean about the left foot and the gearbox/transfer case tunnel. I reckon it’s the RHD setup thing, on a LHD JK you wouldn’t have that problem and you can fit a little foot rest for your left foot which fits to the side panel. I have a similar thing with my CJ and YJ: the CJ is LHD and your feet are in just the right position, the YJ is basically the same body but on the RHD conversion your left foot, even on a manual is kicked in a bit, can never really get comfortable. Ah well, one of the many joys of Jeep ownership eh?

• Platinum Member
42 minutes ago, TimC said:

No....done 72,000 miles in my JKU and, for me, it’s one of the most comfortable cars I’ve driven which is one reason why I still run it as a daily driver.

.....however I do know what you mean about the left foot and the gearbox/transfer case tunnel. I reckon it’s the RHD setup thing, on a LHD JK you wouldn’t have that problem and you can fit a little foot rest for your left foot which fits to the side panel. I have a similar thing with my CJ and YJ: the CJ is LHD and your feet are in just the right position, the YJ is basically the same body but on the RHD conversion your left foot, even on a manual is kicked in a bit, can never really get comfortable. Ah well, one of the many joys of Jeep ownership eh?

72,000 miles.  About time for a replacement??

• Platinum Member
24 minutes ago, fen01 said:

72,000 miles.  About time for a replacement??

? can’t afford a replacement mate, this ones going to have to last me ‘till I kick the bucket!

• Platinum Member

Its the same even in the big Commander, there is a big lump where the clutch pedal should be. So your leg has to angle inwards towards the brake, i've got size 12's so it is lacking driver foot room.

• Platinum Member
11 hours ago, TimC said:

? can’t afford a replacement mate, this ones going to have to last me ‘till I kick the bucket!

add it to the collection of 'toys' and downsize your daily runner

• Administrators
13 hours ago, BikerSco said:

Has anyone else experienced left leg pain when driving their JKU? It seems to be caused by the fact its an automatic and my left leg doesn't seem to be able to find a comfortable position to sit in. I have tried bringing it out away from the bulkhead but this feels bizarre as I'm used to driving a manual. There seems to be a big bit of bulkhead on the left where the clutch pedal would usually be which makes it very uncomfortable to put my foot there. There isnt much space for my left foot. 

It was designed for the LHD market originally so when you jump in a LHD version you really notice the difference ! I found that when we hired a Jeep in Moab!  Funny I was just talking to someone  a few days ago about RHD & LHD cars and where they are designed to how good the pedal position is for the RHD market !

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Been in the news lately, some peeps are having limb aputatations rather then put up with constant pain in their legs.

Just a thought..................

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member

I know exactly what you mean. 

After a while long while of driving the Jeep, your brain sort of makes you forget.

I must admit I  have thought about cutting the tunnel up but never got further than thinking. ?

• Like 1