Hello from Australia

NIck5728

• Platinum Member

Hi guys,

I'm returning to UK from Australia and I need some advice from the members regarding my two jeep wranglers, can anyone give any advice on the following,

• Are the headlights of my jeeps compatible with UK regulations since we drive on the same side of the road
  • Do I have to change the speedo as it has miles on the clock
  • Could you advise on a reputable importing company to transport my cars back to UK and sort all registration/paperwork
  • Any other advice that may be helpful

Many thanks

Nick...

• Platinum Member

Hi Nick,

can't answer you question I'm afraid, but Stewart is taking his Wrangler in the opposite direction very soon so I'd imagine he would have some useful info.

cheers

Tim 

• Platinum Member

A quick check is to see if the headlamps are 'E' marked. It is usually moulded into the glass (or clear plastic) bit.

Our road speed measurement are in MPH so if your's has miles then it will be OK.

• Platinum Member
geoff meadows

hi nick how old  are the wranglers?  if over 10 years old they only need a british  mot test  to check its safe to drive on the road so no E markings  needed  so headlights ok if newer it needs a iva test  to check it complies to eu spec jeeps being american it is quite easy most of it is cross referencing us specs to eu specs the guys at mildenhall can easily sort iva paper work for you to register it in england you need proof of ownership overseas a registration from current country date of manufacture and  a nova certificate which is a  letter from uk customs saying that uk vat and import duty have been paid  if the need to be  you then get a imported registration  pack from british dvla  message me if you need more info

• Platinum Member
On 09/11/2018 at 23:47, V said:

A quick check is to see if the headlamps are 'E' marked. It is usually moulded into the glass (or clear plastic) bit.

Our road speed measurement are in MPH so if your's has miles then it will be OK.

Thanks for your response, what does the 'E' stand for (Europe??), why would the letter matter if the angle of the beam is the same height and direction..??

• Platinum Member
On 09/11/2018 at 23:49, V said:

I have used Kingstown Shipping for UK bound imports and they have been very good.

Thanks for the recommendation, I am awaiting a quote, how do you rate 'Ship my car'???

• Platinum Member
On 10/11/2018 at 06:38, geoff meadows said:

hi nick how old  are the wranglers?  if over 10 years old they only need a british  mot test  to check its safe to drive on the road so no E markings  needed  so headlights ok if newer it needs a iva test  to check it complies to eu spec jeeps being american it is quite easy most of it is cross referencing us specs to eu specs the guys at mildenhall can easily sort iva paper work for you to register it in england you need proof of ownership overseas a registration from current country date of manufacture and  a nova certificate which is a  letter from uk customs saying that uk vat and import duty have been paid  if the need to be  you then get a imported registration  pack from british dvla  message me if you need more info

One Wrangler is 2015 and the other 2016.

• Platinum Member
On 09/11/2018 at 23:47, V said:

The speedo upper markings are in Kph and are bigger, the lower Mph are smaller, however digital display can be changed to Mph.  Would this still be allowable..???

• Platinum Member
4 hours ago, NIck5728 said:

The speedo upper markings are in Kph and are bigger, the lower Mph are smaller, however digital display can be changed to Mph.  Would this still be allowable..???

I am pretty sure you only need a dual calibrated dial. If it says MPH it's good enough.

Edited by V

• Platinum Member
geoff meadows

hi nick  2 and 3 year old jeep need a iva  test  if you go to    gov. uk   iva website you will find a guide manual of the specs of conformity and also a list of test centers  some of which are private  companies that do the mods needed there my be one close to your new home

• Administrators

As far as i can find out the Australian JK's are all the same as UK builds with the exception of the Speedo cluster ! Looking to do the opposite and I believe so far nothing should need changing on a stock JK as speed has dual readout MPH and KMPH ! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Thanks Guys, spoke to IVA and they informed me that all is good, no mods needed.. appreciate you input...