foreign breakdown recovery insurance.

digger

• Platinum Member

Hi all,

I'm keen to do a foreign trip event this year, probably 'Chambon sur Lac' in France.  Does anyone have any experience of buying breakdown/recovery insurance for a jeep over 20 yrs (my YJ is 1994) of age? Is it worth it?

Phil

• Platinum Member

Hi Digger,

Sorry, I don't know about breakdown insurance, if it were me I'd be more worried about medical insurance to cover the physiotherapy on my right foot/calf! ?

Perhaps you don't find it so bad in your YJ but in mine I can never seem to get a comfortable position on the accelerator pedal. It's OK for short trips but on long journeys I know cramps are to be expected! I think it's something to do with the RHD conversion. On my CJ which is LHD and basically the same body the pedal sits fine on the inside near the transmission tunnel and I never get any issues, but on the RHD YJ the pedal just sits differently on the outside edge and always gives problems on a long journey.

hope yours goes well though.

Cheers

Tim 

• Platinum Member

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your comments.

You need my 'patented' cruise control -- a large brick!  However it does have some shortcomings, especially in town traffic I've found bending under the dash to move it  a bit awkward.  My latest idea is to fit a foot rest  bar in the side wall of the tub, just in the right place so that when foot is planted it gives my usual cruising speed in top.

Are you up for 'Chambon' too?

Phil

• Platinum Member

LOL ? not in the YJ Phil, even with “digger cruise control” , would have to be in the JK for comfort! Chambon is April isn’t it? I hadn’t planned on Chambon next year but was considering the possibility of European Jeepers in June. I’m not sure by any means but I think a few JOC guys will be going again, have you considered that?

• Platinum Member
geoff meadows

i am also thinking about euro jeeps in june  sounds good from memory of my own investigations  insurance for cars over 20 years old is difficult  thing in classic american this month about rh insurance company they say in there ad  break down cover included my be worth asking them

• Platinum Member

C'mon it'll be a gr8 laugh.   Not in a YJ, sounds  a bit wimpy to me, after all , who's the old git here.   My YJ is getting more comfy all the time. I have aircon in the back, restuffed  seats, OME suspenders and ,boy , is the heater hot!   I have to confess though, when I told my wife I was selling the GC and using the YJ all the time, she wasn't too impressed!

As for Euro Jeep , it is tempting, its less miles, but for me it almost clashes with a hol I have already booked. Also if you read 'Doodles ' write ups last year, in answer to my questions, he argues from experience a strong case that 'Chambon ' is better and cheaper. so ,I'm still open but biased toward 'Chambon'.

• Platinum Member

Thanks Geoff,  I'll look into that. The mag sounds interesting too.

I've just looked at their site.They do do it. At what cost I've yet to find out. I've got uk cover, its when I've tried to get EU cover I've hit probs.

Edited by digger

• Platinum Member
geoff meadows
21 minutes ago, digger said:

Thanks Geoff,  I'll look into that. The mag sounds interesting too.

no problem  let know if they can sort it my be helpful for other 

• Platinum Member
geoff meadows

thanks will have a look to see if there are any other companies out there doing break down  cover

• Platinum Member
On 23/10/2018 at 12:33, digger said:

Hi all,

I'm keen to do a foreign trip event this year, probably 'Chambon sur Lac' in France.  Does anyone have any experience of buying breakdown/recovery insurance for a jeep over 20 yrs (my YJ is 1994) of age? Is it worth it?

Phil

Phil,

Whenever I go to Chambon and thats the last three times- I just get AA insurance for the trip. I know its a one off but i dont do regular trips abroad yet.I keep meaning to look into something a bit better but never seem to get around to it! I always worry that as its old id never get it recovered back- However Id like to think that between me and the 5x others that now go it would get back by hook or by crook!

Edited by doodle

• Platinum Member

If i remember rightly we paid about £100 for ferries, About 120 euros approx for the event, which included some freebies, welcome drinks, snacks on a couple of days and a huge bbq at the end.

Then fuel, we also stop on night going down through all the country roads and then hump the last day back up the toll roads for the ferry home!

• Platinum Member

Hi Doodle,

Following your responses and descriptions (thanks) last year I decided I would like to go to Chambon.

It didn't work out last year 'cos I was still doing a lot to my  Yj . I really didn't know whether or not she would make it and going in the GC wouldn't be the same. You only live once !  This year I have gone further and further to events and I'm doing Kielder in Dec ( Kielder and back is about one way to Chambon from Caen for me) . If that is ok then all being well I plan to go next  year. I hope to ferry to Caen then stay at a friends house who lives about an hour from the ferry in Normandy and in the right direction. Then I hope to go halfway from there , stop, and do the rest on the next day.  It may be possible for others to stay too at my friends, but I would have to check first. Let me know if its of interest to you or anyone else. Coming back, depending on how I get along, I may go farther South for a day or so to visit another friend and then return as I won't be in a hurry.

If possible I'd like to have a chat about Chambon with you at Kielder if that's ok with you. It would help if they would publish the dates.

Back to insurance. I've completed an online application to RV as suggested by Geoff and am awaiting response. In the meantime I approached my current insurer . They are not the cheapest but reasonable. They insure all three of our cars (inc YJ as classic car to 5000miles pa. for about £130pa inc legal) and provide breakdown in uk for year for all three on top. They want an extra £25 to upgrade cover to  EU as well so that seems a pretty good deal anyway but I've yet to see the small print. I 'll keep posting as I get the hard copies.

• Platinum Member
geoff meadows
1 hour ago, digger said:

Hi Doodle,

Following your responses and descriptions (thanks) last year I decided I would like to go to Chambon.

It didn't work out last year 'cos I was still doing a lot to my  Yj . I really didn't know whether or not she would make it and going in the GC wouldn't be the same. You only live once !  This year I have gone further and further to events and I'm doing Kielder in Dec ( Kielder and back is about one way to Chambon from Caen for me) . If that is ok then all being well I plan to go next  year. I hope to ferry to Caen then stay at a friends house who lives about an hour from the ferry in Normandy and in the right direction. Then I hope to go halfway from there , stop, and do the rest on the next day.  It may be possible for others to stay too at my friends, but I would have to check first. Let me know if its of interest to you or anyone else. Coming back, depending on how I get along, I may go farther South for a day or so to visit another friend and then return as I won't be in a hurry.

If possible I'd like to have a chat about Chambon with you at Kielder if that's ok with you. It would help if they would publish the dates.

Back to insurance. I've completed an online application to RV as suggested by Geoff and am awaiting response. In the meantime I approached my current insurer . They are not the cheapest but reasonable. They insure all three of our cars (inc YJ as classic car to 5000miles pa. for about £130pa inc legal) and provide breakdown in uk for year for all three on top. They want an extra £25 to upgrade cover to  EU as well so that seems a pretty good deal anyway but I've yet to see the small print. I 'll keep posting as I get the hard copies.

your current insurer seems reasonable with there prices  may i ask which company that is  keep us posted with the small print

• Platinum Member

the thing that was in many of the small prints i read was that they would only spend the cost of the car on the recovery. is so you may only get it of the road.

\basically if your car is not worth anything then your were stumped if it couldn't be fixed there and then.

• Platinum Member

Hi Geoff, 

Basically I agee, however its not that simple.  I have spent 1 1/2 hrs on the phone this morning  to the company. I am not happy. The devil is in the detail. I will ,when I finally decide what to do write my conclusions and my thoughts about the problems. If you want to know more at mo  and my reasons for not wishing to update now please feel free to ring me on 07806773751.

• Platinum Member

Hi Doodle,  yep, you are right, as I said to Geoff , its in the small print detail. You must compare apples with apples . Your TJ is newer than my YJ. My car, over 20 yrs old (25yrs with some insurers),  is accepted as a classic car and as such qualifies for an agreed  fixed value . This  is quite different to an ordinary older  car which if they pay a claim will likely be valued at its trade price or , in other words, what you might have received if you had sold it. This may be very different to what you paid for it or have spent on it.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
30 minutes ago, digger said:

Hi Doodle,  yep, you are right, as I said to Geoff , its in the small print detail. You must compare apples with apples . Your TJ is newer than my YJ. My car, over 20 yrs old (25yrs with some insurers),  is accepted as a classic car and as such qualifies for an agreed  fixed value . This  is quite different to an ordinary older  car which if they pay a claim will likely be valued at its trade price or , in other words, what you might have received if you had sold it. This may be very different to what you paid for it or have spent on it.

I have even toyed with the idea of a trailer to tow the TJ around with- If i had the space to store it i would have seriously considered it by now

• Platinum Member

Hi  all , as promised these are my final conclusions.   Firstly , this is a mine field.  I have spent many hours contacting insurers and there are many more companies than I've tried. If I was not retired I can't see how it would have been possible!  Obviously, as previously said, you must do your own research because individuals, vehicles, uses, mileage, no of drivers are all different.  My info is not advice, just what I think will work best for me. I hope some of the ideas help others.

In my own case my basic info is OAP,  SDP only use, 5000m at present, car over 20 yrs old, +named driver . 

It appears that a reasonable policy for uk/euro recovery costs in the order of  £100 + per annum (eg,  First4 recovery classic car Euro and Uk breakdown(EUBC-my abreviation) cover £105)  freestanding.  In future this seems ok for me if I want EUBC.

However my car is already with LV who have been very helpful. They currently charge me approx £130 pa (inc legal expenses) for my classic  road insurance inc.EU. This  is not the cheapest.  I can add their EUBC but this would be £200 +pa.  However if I buy part way (close to the end ) through the year of my road cover then I pay pro rata and to go to France in April and /or June in  the least expensive way.  I should add that, in the meantime,  I'm already covered for UK breakdown in my wife's car policy(me = named driver) which has personal cover for any vehicle. This 'personal cover 'covers the driver not the car but when I tried to extend it to the EU the company would only do it for the car the policy relates to (ie my wife's car)!  Poor show . Different companies could be different  so  it may be worth investigating for those of you with more than one car.

I did, yesterday, receive a quote from RH, the one Geoff spotted  for £194.57 . Their policy seems ok  and is  all in one cover. I would have a number(as ever) of questions re clarification of my info(see below) and meaning of clauses which I have not followed up. The insurer suggested appears to be a Lloyds syndicate.  Although am sure these can be ok,  I personally prefer a branded company so this would not be for me.

Feel free to criticise or if you feel I've missed something. Hope this is useful.

• Platinum Member
geoff meadows
8 hours ago, digger said:

Hi  all , as promised these are my final conclusions.   Firstly , this is a mine field.  I have spent many hours contacting insurers and there are many more companies than I've tried. If I was not retired I can't see how it would have been possible!  Obviously, as previously said, you must do your own research because individuals, vehicles, uses, mileage, no of drivers are all different.  My info is not advice, just what I think will work best for me. I hope some of the ideas help others.

In my own case my basic info is OAP,  SDP only use, 5000m at present, car over 20 yrs old, +named driver . 

It appears that a reasonable policy for uk/euro recovery costs in the order of  £100 + per annum (eg,  First4 recovery classic car Euro and Uk breakdown(EUBC-my abreviation) cover £105)  freestanding.  In future this seems ok for me if I want EUBC.

However my car is already with LV who have been very helpful. They currently charge me approx £130 pa (inc legal expenses) for my classic  road insurance inc.EU. This  is not the cheapest.  I can add their EUBC but this would be £200 +pa.  However if I buy part way (close to the end ) through the year of my road cover then I pay pro rata and to go to France in April and /or June in  the least expensive way.  I should add that, in the meantime,  I'm already covered for UK breakdown in my wife's car policy(me = named driver) which has personal cover for any vehicle. This 'personal cover 'covers the driver not the car but when I tried to extend it to the EU the company would only do it for the car the policy relates to (ie my wife's car)!  Poor show . Different companies could be different  so  it may be worth investigating for those of you with more than one car.

I did, yesterday, receive a quote from RH, the one Geoff spotted  for £194.57 . Their policy seems ok  and is  all in one cover. I would have a number(as ever) of questions re clarification of my info(see below) and meaning of clauses which I have not followed up. The insurer suggested appears to be a Lloyds syndicate.  Although am sure these can be ok,  I personally prefer a branded company so this would not be for me.

Feel free to criticise or if you feel I've missed something. Hope this is useful.

thanks for all the info very similar to my findings agreed value is good a old yj or tj has  a book value of £1200  a joke at todays prices as for companies  i think ifyou can afford to replace the vehicle and has little chance of being stolen or damaged go for a cheap lloyds company if its a newj jl at £48 k go with a big name insurer

• Platinum Member

You are right,  the agreed value that I have with LV classic ins. is of key importance and I can't disagree with your point of view. . You get what you pay for!  I do have a number of other points which , if ,any one is interested 'i would be happy to discuss if  we meet up at an event etc. I am told some companies will accept cars as classics less than 20 yrs old.

• Platinum Member
geoff meadows

yes digger i did not know lv did classic insurance seems a competetive premium  but it all about the small print as you say good for people to name there insurers and premiums gives people  a bench mark price  without days of telephoning and then you may not contact the best companies for your needs