Hi from a newbie.

MikeB

• Platinum Member

Hi

Just joined the club and hope to get a bit of constructive advice from you guys who know Jeeps. I am about to buy a new JK Wrangler Final edition. Should I go for the 2.8 crd or the 3.6lt. I do a bit of motorway driving but mainly back roads and some mountain forest trails. The Jeep would not be my everyday runabout and would do about 10k kms a year.

Thanks

Mike

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, MikeB said:

Hi

Just joined the club and hope to get a bit of constructive advice from you guys who know Jeeps. I am about to buy a new JK Wrangler Final edition. Should I go for the 2.8 crd or the 3.6lt. I do a bit of motorway driving but mainly back roads and some mountain forest trails. The Jeep would not be my everyday runabout and would do about 10k kms a year.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike I have had both the 2.8CRD 200bhp and the 3.6v6 285 bhp And would go the V6 every time more power and more refined. Also I noted while in London they now have higher parking charges for diesel than petrols! MPG wise in stock form our 3.6 averages around town 19-20mpg on long runs about 25mpg. When we had the diesel we averaged  22-27mpg ! 

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, stewart said:

Hi Mike I have had both the 2.8CRD 200bhp and the 3.6v6 285 bhp And would go the V6 every time more power and more refined. Also I noted while in London they now have higher parking charges for diesel than petrols! MPG wise in stock form our 3.6 averages around town 19-20mpg on long runs about 25mpg. When we had the diesel we averaged  22-27mpg ! 

Another vote for the 3.6V6

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Jim said:

Hi Mike

Notice you are in France so I don't really know how they are over there on emissions other than don't you need to display a numbered sticker which is dependent on your vehicles emissions? How does car tax work over there?

Paris and a whole host of Cities need Air Quality Certificate! The petrol come out better than the Diesel ! 

And another vote for the 3.6v6

Have had both CRD and now the 3.6v6, the latter is a far more refined drive than the CRD. Admittedly my CRD was as an 07 and the 3.6v6 is a 2016, so the new CRD might be more refined than the early JK’s.

That said with the tax on Diesel increasing in the UK as an engine it has far less appeal these days

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, neal said:

Admittedly my CRD was as an 07 and the 3.6v6 is a 2016, so the new CRD might be more refined than the early JK’s.

2011 Jeep Changed the injection System made it slightly quieter and improvement on power from 177-200bhp but also reduced the towing capacity down from 3.5 tonne on the 4dr for a braked trailer to just 1 tonne ! 

• Platinum Member

Hi 

Thanks for the info. I think it will be the 3.6lt it does seem to be the better engine. There are some very good deals around for the JK. Just looking at a couple in Germany.

Mike

• Platinum Member

Another vote for petrol here!  When I was considering options for more torque for my 4.0 XJ, a big diesel (Cummins, Nissan etc) was one of the possibilities. I have gone down the 'stroked to 4.6' option on the 6 cyl petrol engine.  It's not in yet, but as the engine will be the same externally, it's a relatively easy job to swap. No smoke, no slipping on spilt fuel, cheaper and less restriction on where I can go.  Next stop for it will be a complete electrification!