PDB

The Black Pearl

TazMann

I like those lights in the boot door. Fantastic idea. 

As for the 6" lift, its a possibility I must admit 🙄

PDB

Talking of cameras: front and rear cameras were installed as integrated to the numberplate surrounds/holders. Unfortunately this numberplate style we could only find from one company and they are image reversed for reversing. They are building us a front camera version. The cameras can be angled down. The front one I have set to see the road/terrain that cannot be seen from the drivers position. To view these images I needed a double DIN head unit that supported twin AV. The Uconnect unit wasnt connected to sat nav or bluetooth. Old tech replaced with a Pioneer SPH230DAB head unit.

Now I have apple or android phone connection that connects automatically by bluetooth as soon as I enter the car. I also have DAB radio and google maps live update traffic sat nav or waze or whatever. I also have access to my phone music via bluetooth. No hard connection needed and spotify is embedded in the head unit. A usb cable input is hardwired into the glovebox.

All this sounds simple  - it wasnt. It caused major delays of weeks turning into months. Wrong wires and adaptors for camera and head unit were sent time and again. Be warned.

PDB

So the lightbar, winch, compressor and locker meant 4 bulky switches needed installing somewhere. I think Paul chose the best option here by using the small (next to useless) cubby at the bottom of the centre console dash. The 4 switches fit it perfectly and looks factory. 👌The only disappointment so far is the centre console dial backlight bulbs are soldered in and are failing one by one. Ive seen a fix tutorial on youtube so I need to buy a sodering iron and wirred LED bulb replacements. That ll be a dark winter night project at the kitchen table.

This brings me on to fitting the rear locker....IMG-20191002-WA0002.thumb.jpg.f43a69bd3187936a7d2d4fdd64d8ea23.jpg

PDB

Reoeat post.

Edited by PDB

PDB
14 hours ago, TazMann said:

I like those lights in the boot door. Fantastic idea. 

As for the 6" lift, its a possibility I must admit 🙄

Thanks Taz. It was someting Paul has done for other overland rigs and works really well. Iron rock do a good 6" lift. You could turn it into something like Bob Seaborn's Grey Thunder

😉👍

• Like 1

PDB

So the locker. Having a Chrysler 8.25" axle with 29 spline shafts means I could fit the ARB RD93 Air locker.

The axle tubes and half shafts are substantial and very similar to the Dana 44, and much stronger than the Dana 35. The locker gear carrier housing adds further strength and this is braced further by the substantial ARB diff housing cover. Paul adjusted the backlash setting which was slightly out. It works perfectly having goven it a good test round Hawkstone park off road course.

20191029_163908.thumb.jpg.8c53a128ac1ccdf28aaf9b9cfd73ca02.jpg

PDB

Heres one of the winch fairlead and numberplate holder

20191102_115831.thumb.jpg.b0d657773ffdd9b6f2e9bf8823760368.jpg

PDB

The lift with stock wheels and tyres 245/60/18

IMG-20190829-WA0009.thumb.jpg.c4655327e414fbf79f3918e173434fa8.jpg

PDB

The front calipers gave up after the MOT test. No help again from jeep so fotted a refurbed pair. Flushed the brake fluid with Motul 660 and fitted yellowstuff pads. Brakes are fantastic.

Here are swome of the completion pics. Needless to say she is insured for an agreed value. Coming to a green lane near you!

Thanks to Paul & Rob at PB Customs for great workmanship, professionalism, problem solving and perservering with many parts issues along the way. If anyone else wants to mod a late model WK/WH..... buy another car and allow 6 months. Im not sure Paul Brown would want to do another. But very glad he did mine. Many thanks Paul and Rob!

20191029_163716.thumb.jpg.bad077ca2e3bec0f81ef7bd7c978761b.jpg20191029_163730.thumb.jpg.0f1ead22aabe97805c132da84104f046.jpg20191104_094110.thumb.jpg.52273a552271fea071c896d5f5c1d8f2.jpg20191029_163848.thumb.jpg.336af015294fe2ec629073c44c7940cd.jpg

20191104_094129.jpg

• Like 1

PDB

Prime culprit for a 12 week delay was Jeep. They wanted £200 for the carrier bearings, but the carriers they wanted to sell separately!!!??? They took months to arrive and were the wrong ones.

I sourced each bearing with carrier for $15 ea from Just Differentials (Nitro Gear) in the States. Took 4 days to arrive and are top quality Koyo bearings. Lesson learned. Jeep parts have become a joke now through Fiat.

Edited by PDB