The Black Pearl

PDB

• VIP Member

Keep us posted on that please V. I 've been looking at a generic approach solution that brakes the prop shaft instead.

We think alike. I went down that route and realised that I would have to create a bolt on anchorage on a cast aluminium transfer case. I decided that my transfer case was too valuable to risk fracturing it at the bolted seam. I then looked at a floating caliper on a swing arm mounted on the belly pan/subframe of my 4-link rear but it was getting too complicated at that point for exhaust routing. The size of the disc rotor that I could fit in was simply too small so I abandoned the idea.

The electric calipers have the added advantage that they can be independently switched on and off if required. This means you could add a manually controlled brake-lock-differential to a Jeep with an open diff. A sort of slow reacting electric fiddle brake. Despite the speed of activation EPB calipers would really enhance a TrueTrac by letting the driver control slippage. They can also be used with an alarm system to activate the calipers when the alarm sounds overriding whatever the switch state is in the cabin.