The Black Pearl

PDB

• VIP Member

Keep us posted on that please V. I 've been looking at a generic approach solution that brakes the prop shaft instead.

We think alike. I went down that route and realised that I would have to create a bolt on anchorage on a cast aluminium transfer case. I decided that my transfer case was too valuable to risk fracturing it at the bolted seam. I then looked at a floating caliper on a swing arm mounted on the belly pan/subframe of my 4-link rear but it was getting too complicated at that point for exhaust routing. The size of the disc rotor that I could fit in was simply too small so I abandoned the idea.

The electric calipers have the added advantage that they can be independently switched on and off if required. This means you could add a manually controlled brake-lock-differential to a Jeep with an open diff. A sort of slow reacting electric fiddle brake. Despite the speed of activation EPB calipers would really enhance a TrueTrac by letting the driver control slippage. They can also be used with an alarm system to activate the calipers when the alarm sounds overriding whatever the switch state is in the cabin.

• 4 weeks later...
  • VIP Member

Since I ve been running the fuel detergent I am consistently returning 500 miles to a tank. At 17.2 gallons a tank thats 29mpg, fully loaded to gvm with roofrack and tyre on top. This isnt what the computer km/l says but as someone once pointed out, they are fooled by diesel chip tuning; apparently it is measured from fuel delivery to the injectors and this rate is doubled by the tuning to get the efficiency and power of a double burn, which isn't factored in.

The Black Pearl is on 171k miles and is still going strong.

A few pics from a recent trip putting it all into action:

20210919_183938.jpg

20210919_191038.jpg

20210919_203543.jpg

20210919_203511.jpg

20210920_091119.jpg

20210922_160524.jpg

20210922_201259.jpg

20210924_150421.jpg

20210924_162200.jpg

20210924_111110.jpg

20210925_121234.jpg

20210925_140409.jpg

20210924_135452.jpg

• Like 3

• VIP Member

Hi Tim. 5 days on the Isle of Arran. Planned to arrive at sunset knowing we may be rewarded and it paid off. Shame even romance relies on proper planning 😁

• VIP Member
30 minutes ago, PDB said:

Hi Tim. 5 days on the Isle of Arran. Planned to arrive at sunset knowing we may be rewarded and it paid off. Shame even romance relies on proper planning 😁

Excellent 👍 looks like exactly the sort of trip the Black Pearl was built for. Great to see it all come to fruition and doing what you wanted at last after all the problems of the last year.

• VIP Member

Thanks. It worked well. Not much off tarmac but the roads arent in great shape there. Nice comfy touring. 👍

• VIP Member
19 hours ago, PDB said:

Thanks. It worked well. Not much off tarmac but the roads arent in great shape there. Nice comfy touring. 👍

It’s not all about the off road stuff, it’s the getting away from it all. Having a well kitted 4x4 just helps with the getting away from it bit as you can often get to places that most people can’t 😃 

• Like 1

spookie the aardvark

Fantastic photos, looks like you had an awesome time  👍

Love the well oversized tin mug ........... now that's what I call a morning cuppa 🤣

• VIP Member

Haha thanks guys.

I was deathly ill 3 days out of 5, got eaten alive by midges and had campsite confrontations 🙄.

So next trip will be farmers fields with zero campers as we got our own toilet and heated shower.