PDB

The Black Pearl

PDB

Hi

This is an introduction to me and my steed, by way of discussing a mooted build. I live in Snowdonia, and am looking to meet up with jeepers to explore off road responsibly, and European overland. Next stop GLASS. I've had 30 years in tree work so no stranger to 4WD and rogue branches, mud, ruts and stumps causing problems. I was gutted I missed out on the jeep camp just down the road this year!

I've owned a 2010 WK CRD for 3 years, paid for, and thought I'd keep her as a project. She has had a hard miles but well serviced life of 30,000 miles a year, currently at 145,000. So I'm looking to semi retire her from daily driving. The plan is for responsible access to off road sites through low ground pressure tyres, such that 4 walkers would exert more ground pressure than the jeep and two passengers. To achieve that requires 33" tyres and to achieve that.....gets expensive. Sure I could buy a tricked out jeep cheaper but, probably not the way I want it. The WH/WK fits the bill because of IFS and AWD for Highway manners in poor weather; payload for mild overlanding;  decent towing capacity for timber and; a strong Merc engine and gearbox. Probably not going to see diesel engines like this in future so she is a keeper.

My original mods were for a fast road/soft road vehicle for my work, hence the miles. This involved a remap by Celtic tuning, peddlebox and B6 suspension all round - with that much power and torque, she was too choppy on the original shocks trying to make last orders at the chippy. Other mods included an ARB rear diff cover (reversing into hidden stumps), ARB diff breathers (I live in Wales), full Asfir belly guards and 4xguard rock rails. Dinitrol under seal, silicone wiper blades and heated screenwash helps with the more typical Welsh summers. Tyres in the size are a problem, so I stuck with wranglers, which annoys me.

So, I'm looking at a 4" Superlift including diff drop and ESP, speedo and shift retune; ARB locker in the Chrysler 8.25" rear (reduce wheel spin ground damage); 4.10 Nitro gears (maintain fuel economy); 295/70/17 tyres and Hutchinson road legal beadlocks and; better recovery points. I know it won't flex as well as a long arm soild axle but, it isn't for hardcore off roading.

SO....who is local and.....tell me this is a bad idea!

Cheers

P.

geoff meadows

hi also done 30 years of trees  based in formby not to far away from you  jeep build sound s good for your needs  with a small lift and the other mods they are good off road  good luck  with the build  catch up with you some day  

V

Noswaith dda. Rwy'n byw yn Yr Ystog.

10 miles south of Welshpool.

Twenty years ago I was more like you, appeasing the tramplers. Since CRoW in 2000 , NERC and countless permanent TROs over the years. I don't care what the tramplers think and I will defend my rights vocally. Most tramplers don't believe that any recreational 4x4 or motorcycle can be used responsibly so your standard of responsible use is likely to be their definition of vandalism. I'm no Rambo, but I know the law and I won't back down when pushed. I will gather evidence and prosecute angry tramplers - they think they don't break the law, but there is usually at least one of them on camera in breach of Class IX.

I have a seldom used vehicular public right of way on my land.  I cleared the fallen trees on the lane when I bought the property some years ago. I needed to get my Jeep down to my river bank to haul wood. Some locals cleared the other side of the valley later that year and now it gets regularly used by walkers and horse riders as a through route. A few times a year I hear motorcycles on the lane behind my house and sometimes a small group of Land Rovers but I am the most frequent vehicular user. I keep part of the width passable for horses and pedestrians but I like it knarly. It has some wet rock, some steps and a corner that imobilises most IFS trucks. It's my lane and I maintain it how I want it. Each year I drain the swampy sections and sometimes I chuck in a few tons of granite to stop the horses breaking their legs. My neighbours are all paid up Ramblers and Horse owners. They were suspicious when I first moved here but they are friendly now and have softened in their attitude to recreational 4x4 use. They never considered that a Jeeper would also like going on a group walk or a trek on horse back with them. I don't own a horse but I can ride. I have been on walks with the local Rambler group when my neighbour is the organiser.

PDB

Hi Geoff + V, thanks for the replies. I used to live in Forton near Garstang Geoff and work at Myerscough 1998, so we have probably met at some time?

V - I d like to meet up. I'm not known for skills of appeasement. Certainly not for the vocal minority that seek to convert BOATS into bridleways, ignoring centuries of access and history for their own benefit. Imagine what state BOATS were in with droving and carts. With your efforts on your lane, you sound very responsible and more than reasonable. We only have to look at 'Mend our Mountains' to see what damage walking can do, and horses are something else. That is my point on tyre pressures -  negates that argument, and allows access to sensitive sites for my work.

I look forward to meeting up!

Cofion

P.

V

Nearly two decades ago when I lived in Northamptonshire I found some parliamentary records that had recently been digitised and indexed about the state of a local roads sometime in the 18th century. The 18th century MP described a road that was regularly being travelled with oxen hauled wagons weighing 16 tons or more laden! Drainage on the road was getting very bad and a traveller had recently drowned when he had slipped into a puddle. That road was a byway at the start of the 21st century and was probably in the best state it had been in because of regular 4x4 use than it had been in all of it's history. A lot of these records have 'gone missing' online now. If they still exist on paper it would have to be found manually.

PDB

OK - sounds like a trip to Aberystwyth and the Nat Library is in order then. Sooner we get started in Wales the better. Build a resources page online here or GLASS?

Jim
12 minutes ago, PDB said:

OK - sounds like a trip to Aberystwyth and the Nat Library is in order then. Sooner we get started in Wales the better. Build a resources page online here or GLASS?

With our new forum software there is a feature called 'Clubs'. In short it is a forum within a forum so if you like, I can turn this feature on and we can try it out.

PDB

Hi Jim - Great, sounds like a plan. I'll look into library research protocols later and plan a visit.

Jim

So what would you like this 'club' called?

PDB

Whatever you think apprpriate Jim.....something pithy like....'Route Research' perhaps?

PDB

Perhaps we should continue these important access issues in another thread? If we keep losing access to BOATS, 4x4s will just become play day pay day toys in the UK, with a limited market for general private hooning?

So, to get back on topic with a head scratch.....has anyone put a superlift kit on a WH in the UK?

stewart
1 hour ago, PDB said:

Perhaps we should continue these important access issues in another thread? If we keep losing access to BOATS, 4x4s will just become play day pay day toys in the UK, with a limited market for general private hooning?

So, to get back on topic with a head scratch.....has anyone put a superlift kit on a WH in the UK?

Good idea ! Feel free to get one started !?

Stew the Jeep

I had a 1.5” lift but can’t remember what make

PDB

Nickp - thanks for that. The wa0594 was an alloy version made for the AEV iceland commander project and is I think available under rock monster brand? As I have IFS the weight will be on the UCAs and ball joint, so I'll be fitting uprated JBAs with the stock angles to marry to the Superlift.

If the road legal beadlocks aren t available, I suppose it ll be secondair approach. Icelandic fender flares will cover the offset.

PDB

Stew the Jeep - I looked at that type of lift, but it would require the JBA UCAs to avoid problems, and I didnt want to lose what little suspension travel there is with a spring lift and cv alignment issues - so I researched and went with the AEV Mojave Superlift. And then to get meaningful clearance and low ground pressure, I need 33s.

PDB

Hi Stewart - as I get researching it I will, thanks, unless someone else wants to first.

PDB

I thought I d share the 4xguard sliders I imported from JBA in the states a year ago. They are a perfect fit, very well designed and bloody heavy! Oof. Careful if you plan installing these on your own with the jeep on wheel ramps whilst lying on your back like I did. You could get injured.

6mm steel and about 8 inches wide, they clamp the pinch weld underneath. The pinch weld isnt straight and the instructions state to hammer straight first. Hmm...didnt like that so I straightened it by steady clamping through incrementally tightening the bolts along the rail, ensuring it bends straight to the rail at each end. Then a row of self tappers secure it to the lower door sill and is finished off with a black silicone seal bead.

The previous plastic sills have to be removed and there is no going back as the poppers fail. I had already wrecked my sills as the S Ltd sills are stupid and low from the SRT model. A small price to pay for S Ltd colour coded grill, SRT black leather interior, tinted windows and 4 x heated seats ( always a passenger crowd pleaser this time of year).

More to follow...

20181006_104524.jpg

PDB

Front offside of slider. I filled the sill popper hole with a plastic grommit. The sliders come primed and powder coated and I colour match painted to the jeep so they are a subtle slider. After a year mild surface rust is evident in places that can be easily sorted. I ll take them off and shot blast and coat with dinitrol RC900, then a couple of coats of raptor and then a colour code coat on top.

20181006_104449.jpg

PDB

This is the cut out name plate. Behind it are two theaded studs with a chromed type backing plate held on with nuts. My advice is take off the plate and hammerite the studs, because in 5 days it rusts over and looks....not a thousand dollars....or thousand pounds to be precise, which is what these eventaully cost me.

Excellent service though. I ordered them Friday and they were at my back foor on Monday.

20181006_104441.jpg

PDB

And pics covered in morning dew after sailing through MOT. Lower front valance removed.

2018-10-20_08_13_00.jpg

PDB

Side rear view showing low profile wing bars, window wind deflectors, and the go faster rear spoiler on the tailgate of the S Ltd version. These are the standard S Ltd wheels that are starting to corrode. The springs are sagging a bit, probably not helped by the heavy duty belly and sill protection. The only issues I ve had since purchase are the EGR valve; glow plug control module and plugs; front wheel speed sensor and; leaking axle seals. Not bad for 60,000 miles. 83,000 miles and two previous owners when I bought her from the dealer. It had had the gearbox control module replaced under warranty.

In this time I have replaced all fluids and shocks. The sway bar bushes need replacing. So an underbody overhaul through a superlift seems due. I can keep her as a future AEV inspired classic for enthusiasts.

2018-10-20 08.25.49.jpg

PDB

So with the Superlift and 285/70/17s she should look something like this.

Black slift 2.jpg

TimC

I have those same socks! ? Wearing them right now LOL !