Can you help please ?

Advice Needed

• Platinum Member

Good Morning - hoping one of the Club members can offer us some advice !

We live in Reading (RG4 postcode). Can anyone recommend a competent Jeep garage or mechanic in our area, or in fact anywhere in Berks/Oxon?  MOT end of October so needs to be able to carry out Test.  Annual service has always been carried out by Halfords - never any problems -  but now the car is starting to develop 'issues' I think we probably need a proper Jeep 'expert' to diagnose and repair the car.

My wife and I have been the proud owners since new of a 2009/10 Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD Limited, 5 door Automatic Diesel. For many years only used as a second car. Since retiring, this is our only vehicle but as most journeys are short trips into town, mileage still only 34,000. Rarely do any long trips or get opportunity to get up any speed, so occasionally use a CTEK Charger to top up battery. 

# At low speeds car often hesitates and stutters - feels like some sort of blockage in fuel line/filter? A friend suggested that as the engine is always running at low revs - there may be carbon deposits building up which would normally get burnt off when driving at motorway speeds. We took car to a small local garage who after running diagnostic checks fitted a new Crankshaft Position Sensor. Seemed to help but problem returned after a few weeks.

# Car occasionally goes into 'get you home' limp mode - revs restricted to 3000. Next day is usually OK. Changing setting from 4 WD to 2 WD (or vice versa) also seems to cure problem short term. Engine warning light on dashboard lit - but not all time.

# The car is sometimes reluctant to start and Halfords recommended a new Starter Motor (I think the quote was £700) - but I realised that providing the battery is kept fully charged and if I turn the key to first setting and then wait a few seconds for all the dash lights to go off - it usually will start first time. (A new Mopar battery was fitted in 2016).   

The car received a very minor bump whist stationary in queuing traffic a few months ago. Needed new rear bumper, lights, exhaust - all carried out by a reputable local bodywork shop. Might this have somehow triggered the cars sensors ?  

Unfortunately we know nothing whatsoever about car mechanics - so are hoping someone here can offer some much needed advice, or at least point us in the direction of a qualified reputable local garage who are Jeep experts. Thanks for reading this.

Tim    

• Platinum Member

Hi Tim I would take it to a main jeep dealership and have them do a diagnostic check to see what faults show up 

they should also give a costing for the repairs but please Shop around for different prices as it’s a very competitive market 

it could just need all the fault codes clearing 

terry

• Platinum Member

My friends car had problems similar to this. The main problem was no long higher speed trips, the DPF had blocked and was causing knock on problems. It might be worth doing a motorway trip just to clean the system, our Range Rover gives a yellow warning saying to drive above 60mph for a more than 20 mins if we do to many short trips. 

• Platinum Member
Advice Needed
1 hour ago, Terry said:

Hi Tim I would take it to a main jeep dealership and have them do a diagnostic check to see what faults show up 

they should also give a costing for the repairs but please Shop around for different prices as it’s a very competitive market 

it could just need all the fault codes clearing 

terry

Hi Terry

Thanks for the prompt and helpful reply - I will be over the moon if the fault codes just need clearing !  Agree that a Jeep main dealer would be preferable - unfortunately Jeep garages are rather scarce in Berkshire - I think Beaconsfield (Bucks) is probably nearest unless anyone knows of a closer one. Judging by recent posts there seems to be several members who live in the Reading area - would be helpful to know who they use for servicing, repairs & MOTs. 

Tim

• Platinum Member
Advice Needed

Hi Rfn25

Thanks for the suggestion - sorry to be dim but what is the DPF. A trip down the M4 is a very good idea and may well help. Googled the symptoms last week and found a number of similar comments from Jeep owners in the USA - oddly nobody on this Board seems to have had the 'Stuttering and Limp Mode' issues. If anyone knows of a historic thread, would appreciate a link. Thanks.

Tim 

• Platinum Member

A diesel particulate filter (DPF) is a device designed to remove diesel particulate matter or soot from the exhaust gas of a diesel engine. 

What is a diesel particulate filter and how does it work? ... The DPF is essentially a trapping mechanism which captures soot as it travels through the car's exhaust system and stops it being released into the air. Like all filters the DPF needs to be cleaned on a regular basis, a process called regeneration. 

Bit of cut and paste but tells you what it is and regeneration is achieved through a longer faster drive.

• Platinum Member

A bottle of that and a good run might sort the problem. Either way its cheaper and quicker than going to a garage and if it doesn't fix the problem your be able to tell the garage you tried so one less thing for them to test. 

2 hours ago, Advice Needed said:

unfortunately Jeep garages are rather scarce in Berkshire - I think Beaconsfield (Bucks) is probably nearest unless anyone knows of a closer one. 

There is WLMG on the A33 in Reading, garage lies back off the road a bit.

Not sure what they are like for service etc though.

• Platinum Member
Advice Needed

Thanks Neal - I had overlooked WLMG - their web site is mostly cars for sale. Very little about servicing & repairs - no harm in giving them a ring.

Tim

2 hours ago, Advice Needed said:

Thanks Neal - I had overlooked WLMG - their web site is mostly cars for sale. Very little about servicing & repairs - no harm in giving them a ring.

Tim

Not sure how good they are, they don’t like JK’s that much, not a big enough market for them. Hence not had much to do with them. 

That said they do have a workshop so might be might be able to get a diagnosis from them at the least

• Platinum Member

There is a Jeep dealer at Shipton on Cherwell,  just north of Kidlington, Oxon. Or a bit further afield one at Swindon, TH Whites.

Put some Redex or similar in it and give it a 'thrash' down there and get them to check fault codes.  If it goes into limp mode regularly just resetting the codes might not help. There is a permanent fault there?

Else buy a Fault Code Reader, £20-£30, and read codes yourself, or get your knowledgeable neighbour to do it! You will save a fortune and will have a tool to use over and over.

You just plug them in then google the code(s) for answers.

• 4 weeks later...