well Yesterday....

fen01

• Platinum Member

failed miserably to replace discs and pads.  

Started of so well:  Watched the YouTube videos.  Made sure I had all the bits and tools, even made sure a BFH was included.  

Got the rear jacked and on stands, calipers off in no time at all..  3.5 hours later had to admit defeat trying to get the rear discs off...

The only consolation was being out of the rain to try and do battle with the discs.  So, big thanks to TimC for helping in this failure and letting me us his workshop.

• Platinum Member

Does your rear disc setup have internal handbrake shoes? If so, have you wound back the adjuster so that the shoes are completely loose and the handbrake no longer works? Handbrake shoes can wear a groove inside the disc rotor hat. If the shoes are engaged in a groove it will be very difficult to remove the disc.

11 minutes ago, V said:

Does your rear disc setup have internal handbrake shoes? If so, have you wound back the adjuster so that the shoes are completely loose and the handbrake no longer works? Handbrake shoes can wear a groove inside the disc rotor hat. If the shoes are engaged in a groove it will be very difficult to remove the disc.

Ha, like this answer ?

Handbrake that works on a JK.......

Yes the JK handbrake set up is like this, at least when it works properly 

• Platinum Member
27 minutes ago, V said:

Yes, it was the handbrake shoes, either jammed on, or worn in the groove or corrosion on the outer lip stopping them coming off, couldn't find how/where to access the winder to release the shoes until after we had given up on it. (apparently there is a rubber teat covering a small access hole on the rear of the housing)

I might say......the guy on the You Tube video didn't have this problem, a quick tap and a jiggle and they were off in two minutes......you tube videos, need I say more! ? Sadly ( particularly for Fenton ) this is a case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing: because all the videos show it being a piece of cake just requiring belting it with a hammer and levering it off and other advice on the net being if it doesn't budge just hit it with a bigger hammer, damage was unfortunately done to the shoes in the process. Lessons were learned all round. A real shame though as the new discs were a wondrous sight ( for those who get excited about those engineering sort of things) and what should have been a straightforward job to do ended being a fruitless afternoon.   

• Platinum Member

Thinking about it now I would have been alright are it not for the wheel spacers.  Once the wheels were off, put the handbrake back on to stop rotors spinning, so we could get spacers off.  This may have locked the shoes in to the drum....

I did find an excellent schematic and description of how the rear drums are out together.  Only issue is how you get to the screw you wind in to release the shoes..

Anyway, in try epic style, the scale of damage done driving 3 miles to the garage without any pads is - 

Two replacement calipers.  Both pistons blow.n

Replacement shoes due to existing ones being contaminated with brake fluid from the above.

Handbrake fixing kit.  Most of fell out whilst trying to 'wiggle' the discs of..

At least when done I will have some dame impressive rotors on each corner.

• 2 months later...
  • Platinum Member

Whilst attempting to adust the handbrake I found this useful.

Nevertheless, I failed to remove the rotor. I think this is because I need to do what "V" suggested... If so, have you wound back the adjuster so that the shoes are completely loose and the handbrake no longer works.

Although, I also discovered that its not necessary to remove the rotors to adjust the handbrake tension and can be done by:

1. removing the brake calipers.
2. remove rubber grommet to expose the star wheel.*

*Take not, for UK/Europe imports the instructions to complete this are the opposite direction versus the US versions Ie.. when they describe the passenger seat adjustment the obvious mean UK/Euro drivers seat: https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/how-to-adjust-parking-brake-165640.html

Hope this of helps.