Winchmax Winches

Rfn25

• Platinum Member

When i bought my XJ it had a winchmax fitted. I didn't really know much about winch brands and read a few reviews that were a mixed bag and to be fair the people who weren't to impressed didn't own one. Since I've owned the Jeep I've used the jeep for some heavy recovery of other vehicles and pulled myself out of various holes and the winch has performed well. When i bought the Jeep it only had one remote control and no other way of operation the system. I wanted the hardwire control option and a new set of remote fobs, so i called Winchmax and i must say the customer service and knowledge was very impressive. I also got another bit of the kit i hadn't thought of and they did it for a few quid. 

I've not used other winches so can't compare but I'm very happy with this brand.

• Platinum Member

I am not a winch snob, well I don't think I am. As long as a winch works when I need it to that's good enough for me.

I prefer synthetic winch rope to wire rope, winches with end mounted brakes that don't melt my rope are my favourite.

• Platinum Member

Like a lot of 'stuff' these days it's hard to know sometimes exactly what the difference is between different badges/brands. One of the Winchmax winches looks exactly, and I mean exactly in all but minor detail like paint colour and labels, like my Powerwinch HD12000 which looks EXACTLY  like the Smittybuilt X2O. I did hear that Winchmax are built in the same factory as some Warn winches. Lots of Brands seem to market the same basic winch, same control box, same handsets, different badging and maybe different gearing, but the same winch, probably all built in the same Eastern European or Chinese factory.

However I think you make a very valid point: what separates these Brands isn't the actual product it's the customer service, can you ring them up ( or email them ) and get good helpful advice and aftersales? From what you say Winchmax in Norfolk seem to score pretty well on this.     

• 2 months later...
  • Platinum Member
sabconsulting

Customer service is a big plus on something like a winch which may need maintenance / repairs in future. I have had a Goodwinch for years from David Bowyer and have had good service from them.

Steve.

• Platinum Member

All depending on how much you are going to depend on it and how much you are going to use it personally I would sell it and buy a goodwinch or a warn