need to replace brakes...

fen01

• Platinum Member

So, today I've heard the dreaded metal on metal grinding from the brakes.  Not sure whether it's rear or front.  If they need replacing, it got me thinking are there are any recommended disc / pad upgrades I can get off the shelf in the UK?  Has anyone upgraded their brakes on the a JK?

Cheers

• Platinum Member

Buy EBC greenstuff pads - I had green supreme on mine - 35" tyres, and stopping power as if on  standard sized tyreswith new EBC drilled and  grooved disks

• Platinum Member

As V says - they are UK based.

I use the red stuff on the wifes Merc.

I did use yellow stuff once on the XJ, would stick with green supreme if they do them for yours

They are more money - but give you the performance of a brake upgrade - ideal for larger tyres

• Platinum Member

Cheers. Have found them.

local garage has confirmed rears are metal on metal. They’ve quoted £280 to replace discs and pads. I can get EBC green stuff kit (discs and pads) for £200. Just have fit myself. 

• Platinum Member
23 hours ago, The Smiths said:

Buy EBC greenstuff pads - I had green supreme on mine - 35" tyres, and stopping power as if on  standard sized tyreswith new EBC drilled and  grooved disks

Hear hear Smith's, fitted green stuff  to mine, 33" tyres, great stopping and also cured my auto JK from stalling as the standard pads locked on when cold. Also fitted ebc grooved discs on the rear, couldn't get grooved for the front as standard are odd size for grooved discs it seems grr. 

Hope you get on alright Fenton.

FYI gonna fit yellow stuff next time, to match of course ?

Edited by jeepjimboy

• Platinum Member
11 minutes ago, jeepjimboy said:

Hear hear Smith's, fitted green stuff  to mine, 33" tyres, great stopping and also cured my auto JK from stalling as the standard pads locked on when cold. Also fitted ebc grooved discs on the rear, couldn't get grooved for the front as standard are odd size for grooved discs it seems grr. 

Hope you get on alright Fenton.

Jim,

Inside rear pads are right down to the metal, on both sides.  So have to replace discs as well.  I’ve been quoted £280 to fit.  But I can get EBC greenstuff groves on the rear for £199 (including pads).  

What’s the issue with the front discs? Do EBC not produce a grooved disc for the front, that replaces OEM disc?  Their site seems to state they do..

• Platinum Member

That what I thought when I ordered front and rear sets Fenton, turns out the rear are the same size but the fronts are not, or were not. Best to check the size on your hub then check the size on the sales site. I think the USA disc are smaller then UK/Euro on the front. The EBC shop gave me refund when I took them back, fortunatly the shop is on the way back almost from Oundle, where the fitting took place?