YJ carpet set

bo-henry

• Platinum Member

Hi all,

Restoration  of my 1995 YJ is slowly coming back together. Current problem is to replace the carpet.  The jeep is RHD and US manufacturers do not cater for this, never mind cost of importing.  I know you can buy from ebay/amazon but have been hesitant due to comments re quality and fit.  Would appreciate any recommendations re  manufacturer and/or supplier.

rgds

Bob

• Platinum Member

Hi Bob,

I can’t recommend you a UK supplier for the carpet but importing from the US is generally not as bad or expensive as you think. The fact your YJ is RHD not LHD also shouldn’t be a problem. I could be wrong but , to my knowledge, all YJs are inherently LHD. The LHD jeeps were imported and the conversion done by Chrysler, more or less on the dockside in Southampton, so I’ve heard. If you look around the bulkhead and the pedals you can see the conversion work with a new RHD bulkhead plate fitted. I think there is also a second Chrysler ID plate fixed on the bulkhead.

Anyhoo I don’t think they ever bothered to change the carpets on the conversion I don’t think there is an original RHD specific carpet. My RHD YJ has its original carpets and they are LHD, in that they have a rubber mat built into the carpet on the Left, what is now the passenger side. Apart from that there is no difference as far as I can tell, nothing to cut out for pedals or gear lever /transfer lever. LHD carpet should do  the job just fine.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Tim

• Platinum Member

Hi Bob,

Just read your previous post on this re “requiring extensive trimming”.

I’ve attached two pics of my carpet, the front section, you can see what I mean about it being LHD., rubber on the left, no rubber on the right. If there is “extensive trimming” required on a new carpet I can only see that maybe you just trim off a straight level section on the right where the pedals are. However if you look at the back, second pic, I would have thought that if it had just been trimmed off then the padding layer underneath would have been right to the edge of the carpet, which it’s not. In any case, although I’ve not seen a new carpet set I can’t think what extensive trimming might be required. 

25F321FA-F000-47F4-9F9B-FEB05F6D307E.jpeg

Edited by TimC

• Platinum Member

Well, again for some reason the second pic of the back of the carpet doesn’t want to upload, and this one is upside down. Hey ho, you get the idea. 

• Platinum Member

Just a thought.  My seats were a bit tired. Replacement was possible but an arm and a leg. So I went to a local upholsterer. They did a super job for what I thought was an amazing price and you can choose material quality etc. what's this got to do with carpet? Well have you considered finding a local upholsterer and pricing them making you a set? Phil

• Platinum Member

Tim

On 27/08/2018 at 22:38, TimC said:

Hope you get on OK Bob, sorry about the pics ?

Found firm called "Stock Interiors" in the US who confirmed your info. Will make carpet for me without heel pad.

Owe you one

Bob

• Platinum Member
13 hours ago, digger said:

Just a thought.  My seats were a bit tired. Replacement was possible but an arm and a leg. So I went to a local upholsterer. They did a super job for what I thought was an amazing price and you can choose material quality etc. what's this got to do with carpet? Well have you considered finding a local upholsterer and pricing them making you a set? Phil

Thanks for replying  Phil,

Did look into that, but nearest interested firm quoted between 800 to 1000 pounds.  I guess seat profiles are reasonably standard, whereas floor plan of car is not.  Anyhow following TimC advice above have found firm who will supply carpet set in US.