Cj5 US import with no paperwork.

jenix31

• Platinum Member

IMG_2326_3.thumb.JPG.91a6ee6748501ac633d976ef90e20ab3.JPGHi, thanks for letting me join.

I have just purchased a 1973 Cj5 US import with no paperwork and I need to register it in the UK.

The DVLA tell me that I need a recognised owners club to verify the date of manufacture and for the club to say what source material they used and how it is linked to the vehicle ie pictures. It all needs to be written on headed note paper.

Is this something The Jeep Owners Club can do?

I have pictures, chassis numbers, engine numbers and the original sales contract from 1973.

Thanks, Colin.imageproxy.php?img=&key=5a73167dac4dcf04imageproxy.php?img=&key=5a73167dac4dcf04imageproxy.php?img=&key=5a73167dac4dcf04

Edited by jenix31

• Platinum Member

I can't speak on behalf of the club, but it's probably fair to say that this type of research in the UK is going to be hard without the right contacts. Although we have a number of CJ owners in the club you may find it easier to start inquiring where the largest concentration of owners exist. I found the Early CJ-5 Club online who may be able to help better with your research. I am not saying that nobody here can, I'm just pointing you to where I would start looking myself.

• Platinum Member
3 hours ago, jenix31 said:

The chassis No is J3F835TA74074

That number breaks down as follows:

J - built by Jeep Corp

3 - Model Year 1973

F- Built in Toledo Plant, 3 speed, LHD

83- CJ5 84” wheelbase

5- open body

T- CJ5 Standard GVW 3750 ( presumably lbs)

A- engine 258ci straight 6

74074- sequential serial number

This info should be on a stamped metal plate on the firewall

There may also be another plate on the dash near the steering wheel which gives you the month and year and location of manufacture.

How you go about getting that “officially” verified I have no idea but that jeep in the picture is from what I can see very much a Left hand drive CJ5, if you have the vin on the firewall I would have thought that should do.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Tim

Edited by TimC

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the info on the chassis number. The Jeep still has the vin plate and the build date on the dash and also the engine number is visible and relates to the correct year. Even armed with all this information which I have sent to the DVLA with photos they still want an official body or owners club to verify the details on headed paper. I was wondering if it would be possible for The Jeep Owners club to do this.

• Platinum Member

A friend of mine bought a classic Range Rover from Spain to get it registered in UK he took for an MOT with the number plates made with the chassis number it looks like the last five digits on your Cj.

Once it goes for MOT it will be registered on the DVLA data base they will then have a record of your Cj.

Once it has got an MOT you should be able to get a form from the DVLA requesting a age relating number plate.

Go down check with your local MOT station first not many seem know about this.

I will try and find out what forms he used.

I hope this is some help.

Cheers Tim Riches

• Platinum Member

Hi, interesting way to get it registered. I think you can get an MOT based on the chassis number. Its a bit off being roadworthy at the moment. 

• Platinum Member

I have been in contact with my friend.

You need to complete a form called a Nova procedure to begin with to advise the HMRC and the DVLA of the cars arrival and this will determine if there are any duties or taxes to pay if comes from outside of the EU. Once that is done it can be tested on the chassis number and then it can be registered.

It should all be on the DVLA web site.

He went threw this procedure around 18 months ago.

Cheers Tim Riches.

• Platinum Member

Hi, thanks for your message. I have filled in a NOVA form or at least as much as possible. I believe the Jeep was imported prior to NOVA in 2013 and there is insufficient evidence of the Jeeps arrival in the UK to make a full application. They do have a system in place for the importation of projects which won't immediately be driven on UK roads. The trouble is I have applied twice in the last 6 months and as yet have no reply. Either they are really slow or not interested but any reply would be nice. I have therefor filled in a v55/5 form for registering new or imported vehicles with the DVLA. They refused my application but only because they needed  Jeep UK or a registered Jeep Club to write a letter stating the manufacture date and how they found out that this was the actual date and possibly a certificate of conformity. All the best, Colin.

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member

Hi, if you look at the thread 'returning to XJ Orvis ownership' you may find some help on there. We bought a jeep cherokee Orvis with the wrong information on the log book since new. I had help from numerous sources as they wanted a letter of conformity from the US, even went down that path. With everyone's help I was able to provide sufficient info so follow the thread.