Now they look to small

Rfn25

• Platinum Member

So now I’ve fitted the rear extended arches my wheels and tyres look to small. I guess the next purchase will be new tyres and rims all round but then I run into the diff gear problems ?. It’s never ending with these Jeep projects...........

FFFB466F-5A4F-4DD5-9B34-4279D972AF7E.jpeg

• Platinum Member

I have Bushwackers on my XJs. Both have been done with new sheet metal in the wheel tubs to allow the tyres to stuff without slashing.

33x12.50 fit on with a minimum of 4" lift but needs extended bump stops. 4.5" to 5.5" lift is probably better.

35x12.50 fit on a minimum of 6" lift, but it is tight. I am running 8" and on a wider track (different axles) I have some rubbing still on front inner arches. My flares are trimmed out to within an inch of the lip in places to allow adequate clearance.

37x12.50 needs drastic cutting and probably too big for practical use with my flares. I haven't tried any yet, but if I did I would go for wheels with less backspacing than the 3.75" I am currently using. May even have to shove the front axle forward 2" or 3" to keep some steering capability.

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the advice. I've only got a 3inc RC lift and as it's only been on a month changing it this early might cause some problems with the wife......The guy i bought the Jeep from removed the wheel tubs on the front so i need to replace them as i can see straight through to the door and I will do the rears at the same time. How did you fix the sheet metal just out of interest?.

Edited by Rfn25

• Platinum Member

I think your wheel and tyres look just right. You have an equal amount of gap at the front, rear and top. It looks better than mine with a pinch point in front of and behind the tyre and a massive air gap above.

On my 93 I have some custom made PVC liners to stop mud collecting in the front door area. I didn't bother for my 2001. I have hammered the seams flat on both of them to stop them slashing the front tyres. The sheet metal fillers in the rear were welded in and it completely closes the gap between the outer body panel and the wheel tub all the way around.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

On  Youtube I saw someone had used expandable foam and sanded it down then sprayed waxoyle to seal. Not sure on the long term for this solution and trapping damp but it looked ok and did a tight seal to stop the mud. 

• Platinum Member

I filled the arches with expanding foam, and also used it to help fix it in place.

It works really well, when curing the takes water in so dries out moisture and forms a good seal.

Also if you do smash them hard it holds the arches together and you can just fill and paint them

• Platinum Member
20 hours ago, Rfn25 said:

It’s never ending with these Jeep projects...........

........it certainly is ? ! And, likewise, I think they look fine as they are. However, that’s not going to take a nice new set of rims and tyres off the shopping list now, is it? ?

• Platinum Member
5 hours ago, The Smiths said:

I filled the arches with expanding foam, and also used it to help fix it in place.

It works really well, when curing the takes water in so dries out moisture and forms a good seal.

Also if you do smash them hard it holds the arches together and you can just fill and paint them

Am I right that you have filled only the plastic flare with foam?

On my XJs, the steelwork that the OEM flare was attached to has been cut away and removed. The opening in the body side matches the maximum dimensions of the wheel tub behind it. The original welded seam between the wheel tub and body was also cut away and new sheet steel has been welded in to extend the wheel tub out to meet the new edge of the bodywork. The return edge of the Bushwacker flare that goes into the wheel well was about 4" when new but I have trimmed it back to around an 1" to allow the tire to stuff. I could glass fibre some aluminium mesh in mine but there is no space for any foam.

XJ Fully Stuffed 35x12.50.jpg

• Platinum Member

I will have a look at that then. It sounds like a good idea using closed cell foam to resist damage. One of my fronts snagged on tyre tread blocks first time up the RTI ramp. The flare shattered on the return edge so I cut them both back quite a bit.

• Platinum Member

I thought the snorkel might get in the way but it fitted. Now time to find some smaller and white side indicators. I’d rather not have them but no side indication means no MOT ?

• Platinum Member

I don't have a good photo to hand of the snorkel side but I put them all in the same position on each Jeep. They have been passing MoT's since 2002 in that location.

Turn 001.jpg

• Platinum Member
16 hours ago, Rfn25 said:

Thanks for that V I'll look into getting some.

I used the originals and just moved them up. Still orange though..  If you have the windscreen washer bottle inside the nearside wing, it will be a problem in positioning your repeaters. I'd already cut the holes out before I remembered I'd taken the reservoir when I drilled the holes for the arches. I had to move the reservoir forward a bit and then just had enough room.

IMG_3842.JPG

IMG_3843.JPG