Wrangler TJ chevy small block V8

Lg5489

Hi all, 

Nearly at the end of my wrangler V8 swap project, just thought id share a few photos if anybody was interested. The swap wasn't too bad bought most of the parts to fit it from advanced adapters in the US. Any questions let me know. 

Cheers Lewis 

20180326_073253.jpg

20180414_130402.jpg

20180708_154411.jpg

20180708_154423.jpg

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Have you had it running yet? I noticed that the radiator hoses are still to be connected in these shots. It looks like it must have been a satisfying project to do.

Just out of curiosity, what is on the grey bracket that is clamped by the exhaust manifold bolt with a stack of washers underneath? Is the oil filter tucked up behind the alternator at the front of the right hand bank?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, V said:

Have you had it running yet? I noticed that the radiator hoses are still to be connected in these shots. It looks like it must have been a satisfying project to do.

Just out of curiosity, what is on the grey bracket that is clamped by the exhaust manifold bolt with a stack of washers underneath? Is the oil filter tucked up behind the alternator at the front of the right hand bank?

I got it started last weekend, only ran it for around 30 seconds as Im still awaiting the rad pipes, they should be here today / tomorrow. Id say the first time I got it started was up there with my wedding day (don't tell the wife!) 

Please excuse the stack of washers (need something better) but the oil filter is located at the rear passenger side of the block, Ive attached a better image below. 

Lewis  

20180616_135110.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Tubing in steel, aluminium or brass will work for a big spacer but I was wondering what was on the bracket. If it is something heavy that bolt is likely to to fail at the manifold gasket surface.

I saw the filter head flange in the flywheel shot shortly after posting but I was still intrigued as to what I thought was a filter adapter on the other side up front. Probably something standing in your garage. Oil filter changes should be easy from underneath.

Did you have any difficult moments with your manifolds and downpipes?

Are you planning to go EFI later? Carburettors don't like offroading, gravity going at different angles confuses the hell out of float bowls. If not the cheapest way to get a reliable fuel system for offroad use is LPG. Use the carb on tarmac, switch over to LPG for offroad. You can get away with a small LPG tank for offroading or swap out your petrol tank for an underslung gas cylinder and have a small tank for petrol for starting.

1 hour ago, V said:

Tubing in steel, aluminium or brass will work for a big spacer but I was wondering what was on the bracket. If it is something heavy that bolt is likely to to fail at the manifold gasket surface.

I saw the filter head flange in the flywheel shot shortly after posting but I was still intrigued as to what I thought was a filter adapter on the other side up front. Probably something standing in your garage. Oil filter changes should be easy from underneath.

Did you have any difficult moments with your manifolds and downpipes?

Are you planning to go EFI later? Carburettors don't like offroading, gravity going at different angles confuses the hell out of float bowls. If not the cheapest way to get a reliable fuel system for offroad use is LPG. Use the carb on tarmac, switch over to LPG for offroad. You can get away with a small LPG tank for offroading or swap out your petrol tank for an underslung gas cylinder and have a small tank for petrol for starting.

The bracket is one of several for the power steering pump, normally it would mount flush when using the stock cast iron manifolds as they are a lot thicker but since Im using headers which have a thinner face plate there is a gap. 

The item in the garage shot is the mechanical fuel pump, this is not on the engine now as I am using the standard jeep in tank pump with a bypass fuel regulator turned down to 5psi. 

The headers were one of the biggest pains to get, as i was using the advance adapters bolt in engine mounts I was limited in manifolds that both had rear exits rather than the normal central drop. This set was the 3rd I purchased and they are designed for a Toyota land cruiser with a chevy v8, but it all worked out perfectly. 

I've seen a nice EFI conversion kit online which I may upgrade to later down the line, but im going to stick with the carb for a short while and just enjoy that v8. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Phil Walker had a Jeep CJ10a with a Chevy V8 and it sounded lovely. I have seen quite a few LS1 in XJs over the years and been envious of them. I am sure you are going to enjoy it. Well done for persevering. I can only imagine the frustration of having to buy a third set of manifolds to try without knowing.

• Like 1

On 15/07/2018 at 22:17, Nickp said:

Hi 

was just wondering the power output if the Chevy and the size tyres and axle combination if you are not running an AX15 gearbox with some decent power you will have major problems with that as well depending which TJ you have you may have a Dana 44 on the back but over 250bhp and 33” is a recipe for desaster plus as my previous post you would be okay putting and old Chey carb engine in a CJ but you won’t pass the emitions at an MOt even with and after market efi unless you have the whole thing inspected but they will fail it on your brakes if they are not upgraded ... it’s not as simple as in the 70’s just dropping in a bigger powerful engine and it cost serious dollar would have perhaps going or 4.7 hoV8 I’ve just got one for a TJ but my LJ is going LS3 with Dana 60, everything changed in the drivetrain and it’s serious dollar .. please let me know how you progress Nick

Hi Nick, 

I am running a Dana 44 in the rear, regarding passing an MOT as quoted from the MOT rules the emissions "If a vehicle first used before 1 September 2002 is fitted with an engine that's older than the vehicle, you must test it to the standards applicable for the engine. The vehicle presenter must have proof of the age of the engine." I have visited my local garage and they said that as long as the engine number is visible (which it is) and that number tally's with the V5 (which it does) then the emissions testing will be carried out as per the age of the engine 1980-1985 i.e no emissions requirement.  

Lewis 

Edited by Lg5489
  • Like 2

• Platinum Member

You are lucky you are mot building a kit car. The new rules say the engine has to pass the emissions that were in force on the date of registration. I reckon a lot of old kit cars without catalytic converters are going to be SORNed this year.

• 8 months later...

Okay so the first V8 had to go, it was burning oil from one side. A rebuild was going to cost as much as a brand new Goodwrench GM 350 crate engine. I ordered it back in December and it finally arrived at the end of Feb. Some photos below, I also had the valve covers powder coated Chevy orange as I wasn't a fan of the silver finish. It just had its MOT as of yesterday so its finally on the road and I can start enjoying putting some mileage onto her. 

20190225_161111.jpg

20190225_182801.jpg

20190226_144847.jpg

20190309_140836.jpg

20190309_140939.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Just fitted 2 new wings / fenders 😀 one of the old ones started to show signs of the usual rust from the bracket below. All in all not a bad job to do, took me around 4hrs to do both. 

Screenshot_20230710-204510_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230710-204700_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230710-204936_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230710-204640_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230710-204613_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Lg5489
  • Like 3

• Platinum Member

Wow what a great project, I would love to do something like that. I have an V8 itch to scratch, but not in a Renegade. 
well done 👍 

• Like 1

Thanks Caroline, I too had a itch one day when I won the first engine on ebay and its been a never ending story ever since ha. As you well know there is always something else to buy for our jeeps... ha. 

I switched to a Holley Sniper EFI around a year ago as I was using a carb before and that's been one of the best upgrades I have done so far. 

• Like 4

• Platinum Member

One day I hope to do a project like that, I just need a house, garage and space.

a 2 bed flat, it’s a bit difficult to do that.

• 8 months later...

New front bumper and winch fitted today 😀 looking forward to trying it out.... 

20240317_170555.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum Member
20 minutes ago, Lg5489 said:

New front bumper and winch fitted today 😀 looking forward to trying it out.... 

20240317_170555.jpg

Very tidy, I like it!

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
Overlander21
Posted (edited)

I was just looking at that picture, thinking that's an impressive bumper kit 👍

Then I looked at the topic title and saw the words, "Chevy small block V8" 😳 🤣

What a conversion!

But how do you go from this:

On 26/03/2019 at 11:39, Lg5489 said:

20190225_182801.jpg

To this?!

On 26/03/2019 at 11:39, Lg5489 said:

20190309_140836.jpg

Have you got a build thread on here somewhere?

Edited by Overlander21
Typo fix
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Overlander21 said:

I was just looking at that picture, thinking that's an impressive bumper kit 👍

Then I looked at the topic title and saw the words, "Chevy small block V8" 😳 🤣

What a conversion!

But how do you go from this:

To this?!

Have you got a build thread on here somewhere?

I haven't really documented it on here, only what's in this post 😀 but she has been a labour of love ha. I did the V8 conversion in around 2019 then have been constantly upgrading ever since. Its running a Holley Sniper EFI which is alot better than the carb I originally had. 

This is how she stands today 😀 

20240311_180431.thumb.jpg.17520016bf996c4e10962744054688fa.jpg

Edited by Lg5489
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1