Suzuki continues in a market that Jeep have already left!

V

• Platinum Member

Yes, Stoneleigh Park.

Most impressive point for me was that with three people on board, it would still climb the steepest muddiest slopes purely on tick-over.

We noticed one small area where an improvement could be made, but other than that I came away with only positive things to say about the Jimny.  Only problem is, you can’t get one...

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, Jim said:

How comes?

11,000 people have submitted expressions of interest for one.  Trouble is, annual production is fixed around the 1,200 unit mark.  Going to be some disappointed people...

• Platinum Member

I was impressed with the attributes of the old Jimny- It was the only thing that went into the lake and pulled out a 3 seater Jetski and trailer on tick over where other notable makes could not!

• Platinum Member
22 hours ago, sabconsulting said:

So. What was it like to drive? (the Jimny, not the Traing ?)

Steve.

I had a reasonably high expectation beforehand simply because I have driven many green lanes in Jeeps with friends driving their Suzukis. I was surprised that the Jimnys were completely stock down to the factory fitted road tyres. The woodland course was tight and the ground was muddy and sloppy in places. I would probably get my XJ through it, but I wouldn't be able to make all the bends without having to use reverse unlike the Jimny that got round the tight turns with ease. There were crossaxle obstacles on the course that I really didn't think I could get the Jimny through with three adults onboard, but it had the articulation and traction control to keep the vehicle moving. I reckon anyone that couldn't recognise the obstacle from the driving seat wouldn't have known they had negotiated it if it were not for the noises made by the traction control system.

I have driven quite a few stock Jeeps offroad with similar size 27" tyres and it is a satisfying feeling to accomplish even basic obstacles. I could see ahead what I was driving into and visualise in my mind what was happening underneath with the suspension. I was expecting to get it stuck but it just kept on going, mostly just on tickover. I stalled it a lot partly because the engine was too quiet, and partly because I was clipping the brake with my boot when pivoting my foot on my heel to squeeze the accelerator. Where the Jimny lost forward traction it was all down to me. On my second round, I got more used to the tiny engine. I felt comfortable and confident with the Jimny's capability that my butt did not clench the seat during my off road drive. I left the course wishing I could have spent many more hours driving there. I appreciated the technical nature of the obstacles that Suzuki set up. The Jimny did such a good job of ironing it out I wonder if other drivers really appreciated how good the little machine was.

I would be delighted to own one, not lease, but own one out right for all of its useful life. The Jimny doesn't have the modification potential of a JL Wrangler but it works amazingly well straight out of the box and the entire vehicle costs less than what I would spend on Wrangler modifications alone. I quickly measured tyre clearances and I reckon that it could take 30" tyres with some rubbing in the front or 235/75R15 (29") with ease. The few off-road extras I would add, nobody makes yet so there's a business opportunity for me. I really want one, but with 11,000 potential UK buyers already jostling over the UK's 1,200 vehicle allocation for 2019 I will have to wait some time. At least I can take my time to decide on a colour or even wait to save some money buying used when the first batch come off-lease. £15.5K for the Jimny on summer tyres, £750 for a set of five new MTs on an extra set of wheels, and another £700 for a set of winter tyres on wheels, job done.

I feel sad that Jeep doesn't make a real 4x4 that competes head to head with the new Jimny on all levels as it would probably be my first choice being a Jeep guy. However, I have accepted that I'm not a customer they want any more and I'm OK with that. I'm so glad Suzuki is still in this niche even if they have underestimated global demand for this delightful vehicle.

The attention to detail afforded to off roaders also extends to the towing capacity. Rated at 1200Kg it can legally tow another 1135Kg Jimny on public roads (byways) if needed.

Edited by V
  • Like 1

• Platinum Member
14 hours ago, V said:

I feel sad that Jeep doesn't make a real 4x4 that competes head to head with the new Jimny on all levels as it would probably be my first choice being a Jeep guy. However, I have accepted that I'm not a customer they want any more and I'm OK with that. I'm so glad Suzuki is still in this niche even if they have underestimated global demand for this delightful vehicle.

Thanks for an awesome review this point stands out for me too I'm jeep to the core but i the past my wife had a swb Grand Vitara in 3 years of ownership I only replaced a taillight bulb I certainly can't fault Suzuki's reliability. I will certainly be interested in a Jimny when the day comes to finally say goodbye to my Commander 

Edited by Hotwheels

• Platinum Member
sabconsulting

As those above have said, many thanks for the great write-up.

Sally has already said she would love one at some point to replace the Panda 4x4, although she has got used to the acceleration and handling of the little turbo Panda so it will be a difficult change, but not one we would make for a while ?

Steve.

• Platinum Member
On 24/11/2018 at 20:29, V said:

I had a reasonably high expectation beforehand simply because I have driven many green lanes in Jeeps with friends driving their Suzukis. I was surprised that the Jimnys were completely stock down to the factory fitted road tyres. The woodland course was tight and the ground was muddy and sloppy in places. I would probably get my XJ through it, but I wouldn't be able to make all the bends without having to use reverse unlike the Jimny that got round the tight turns with ease. There were crossaxle obstacles on the course that I really didn't think I could get the Jimny through with three adults onboard, but it had the articulation and traction control to keep the vehicle moving. I reckon anyone that couldn't recognise the obstacle from the driving seat wouldn't have known they had negotiated it if it were not for the noises made by the traction control system.

I have driven quite a few stock Jeeps offroad with similar size 27" tyres and it is a satisfying feeling to accomplish even basic obstacles. I could see ahead what I was driving into and visualise in my mind what was happening underneath with the suspension. I was expecting to get it stuck but it just kept on going, mostly just on tickover. I stalled it a lot partly because the engine was too quiet, and partly because I was clipping the brake with my boot when pivoting my foot on my heel to squeeze the accelerator. Where the Jimny lost forward traction it was all down to me. On my second round, I got more used to the tiny engine. I felt comfortable and confident with the Jimny's capability that my butt did not clench the seat during my off road drive. I left the course wishing I could have spent many more hours driving there. I appreciated the technical nature of the obstacles that Suzuki set up. The Jimny did such a good job of ironing it out I wonder if other drivers really appreciated how good the little machine was.

I would be delighted to own one, not lease, but own one out right for all of its useful life. The Jimny doesn't have the modification potential of a JL Wrangler but it works amazingly well straight out of the box and the entire vehicle costs less than what I would spend on Wrangler modifications alone. I quickly measured tyre clearances and I reckon that it could take 30" tyres with some rubbing in the front or 235/75R15 (29") with ease. The few off-road extras I would add, nobody makes yet so there's a business opportunity for me. I really want one, but with 11,000 potential UK buyers already jostling over the UK's 1,200 vehicle allocation for 2019 I will have to wait some time. At least I can take my time to decide on a colour or even wait to save some money buying used when the first batch come off-lease. £15.5K for the Jimny on summer tyres, £750 for a set of five new MTs on an extra set of wheels, and another £700 for a set of winter tyres on wheels, job done.

The attention to detail afforded to off roaders also extends to the towing capacity. Rated at 1200Kg it can legally tow another 1135Kg Jimny on public roads (byways) if needed.

I was told by Suzuki that 2019 UK allocation is 600 units V??

• Platinum Member

They told us the initial allocation was 600, they didn't say total allocation. I am not sure if it was a journo or a Suzuki team person that mentioned more arriving before the end of the year. They said during the marketing presentation that the previous model was selling a minimum of 1,000 units a year without any marketing. So I guess 600 is guaranteed, and another batch is hopeful based on previous sales volume. Suzuki certainly made a point by saying the first 600 will go quickly and it will be a while before they get more. They are going to be thousands of vehicles short of satisfying demand next year.

• Platinum Member
On 16/11/2018 at 16:11, Jim said:

The storey of the Jimny gets better and better.

There is a company in Japan, DAMD, who now produce these body kits -

How long before they comeout with a JK or JL body kit?

04.jpg

0.5.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Ha Ha Ha!!!!  Love it.

I like the fact they have used the registration details of the first Landy in the Little D renderings

• Platinum Member
21 hours ago, Volant165 said:

Yeah the new segment mini Jeep is not due till  2022

If it's a 'real' Jeep and not just a car with a Jeep badge then I am sure it will capture the interest of enthusiasts. Have they built a concept yet?

• Platinum Member

I'd be happy with that. Same colours as my old Mindy. Are the tassles for keeping flies off the passengers?

I was expecting a mini-Jeep to look more like this...

3540885317_276442df68.jpg

Hopefully it will be more like this...

68jepp_icon_concept_car.jpg

• Administrators

Here's one of the Concepts right back from 2007 ! 

Jeep® Renegade Concept

November 27, 2007 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - The Jeep® Renegade Concept is a sporty B-segment-sized two-seater ideally suited for the all-weather delights of off-roading and dune surfing. Featuring a cut-down speedster windshield, a roll bar, openings in the door lowers and a hose-out interior, it is an “eco-friendly” vehicle with minimized use of materials – designed for those who want to enjoy the earth while taking care of its future. The propulsion system combines a 40-mile lithium-ion battery pack and a small-displacement BLUETEC diesel engine. The result: fuel economy of more than 110 miles per gallon.
Specifications 
Length: 153 inches (3885 mm) 
Width at H-point: 62.9 inches (1598 mm) 
Height: 56.3 inches (1431 mm) 
Wheelbase: 101.6 inches (2580 mm) 

When you look at what's happing with other brands Especially Land Rover I think Jeep have followed their Heritage in a much closer line than LR have considering also what market trends are. 

file4.jpg

file3.jpg

file2.jpg

file1.jpg

• Platinum Member

In the five-year plan, the 'mini-Jeep' is defined as an 'Urban UV'.  Mike Manley has previously described it as a likely candidate to use a new Fiat 500 platform, and cited customers' acceptance of less off-road focused models as an indication that the time was right for something smaller and more 'urban.'

Also, the 5yr plan defines the Wrangler as the only model with 'extreme' off-road capability.  A mini-Wrangler it almost certainly won't be, unfortunately.

• Platinum Member
sabconsulting
On 28/11/2018 at 10:08, AlexK said:

In the five-year plan, the 'mini-Jeep' is defined as an 'Urban UV

The moment a designer starts using the word "urban" in the context of 4x4s they need a slap, because we all know what the end result is - usually something with front wheel drive and lots of added plastic to give it "attitude" and a brochure full of marketing buzz words to try to pretend it is a proper vehicle.

Buy yes, I can see them working out how to re-style a Panda 4x4 as a Jeep - not that the Panda isn't a good vehicle - my wife uses hers to do the sheep and it was brilliant in the steep hills in the snow.

Steve.