New JK CRD Turbo hoses - WARNING TO CRD OWNERS!

Steve1

• Platinum Member

So in preparation for our upcoming Pyrenees trip, i've been going over the jeep and doing some preventative maintenance.

All the usual stuff, service, u joints, brakes etc.  and whilst in the engine bay, i had a feel around the turbo/intercooler pipes. Now i remember reading a thread on a South African forum a few years back about these hoses splitting and obviously throwing the jeep into problems.

Upon feeling the top side of the drivers side hose (turbo to intercooler) i felt a weak spot, sort of like a cut on the inside. the hose was also "sweating" a bit of oil in this area, a sign that its not in good shape.

thumbnail_zps2jrks9mj.jpg

thumbnail%208_zpsl62cndda.jpg

I knew this had to be sorted out, so i got onto Samco themselves, as well as their official distributors, only to be told theres a 10 week wait, minimum for the silicone replacement hoses for JK CRD 2010 onwards. As i was leaving for France in 3 weeks, this wasn't any good to me.  :scratch:

I got onto Alex at Buzz special vehicles, and he hooked me up with a kit for the JK, consisting of some stainless steel pipes with silicone connectors, which are better than full silicone anyway imo.

thumbnail%204_zpshm1a36oc.jpg

they come with all the correct silicone hose clamps (something which samco requires to be bought seperatley), and are a great fit in place of the stock units. So i set about removing the old hoses, and on removal of the suspect one, my fears were confirmed.

thumbnail%202_zpsgycux877.jpg

thumbnail%207_zpsha5w64eo.jpg

The area i had identified on the hose was internally split, over a length of about 4 inches. this is caused by oil residue from the turbo building up inside, and slowly degrading the rubber. when pressed from the outside, these cracks opened right up and it was clear they were almost completely through the rubber wall.  my best guess, they wouldn't have lasted the trip, especially on the long mountainous inclines.    :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

thumbnail%201_zps82lns9oe.jpg

So i whipped the stock rubber ones off, and connected up the new hoses. Its not a bad job, the drivers side required the airbox to be removed (just the jubilee clip and it pops right out); and the passenger side could be connected from on top, and through the wheel well beneath. care should be taken as to the orientation of the new hose clamps, as they are bigger and more numerous than the stock ones, and could rub vulnerable areas if wrongly positioned. The passenger side hose also needed the silicone connector rotating slightly to achieve best fit.  All in all, a pretty easy install.

thumbnail%206_zpswstiojee.jpg

With the new hoses fitted, i went on a 300 mile round trip down to Gloucester. Honestly its the best the JK has ever driven. the Turbo spools up quicker, as the metal hoses don't expand under pressure like the rubber ones do, so don't lose that initial boost. On the motorway it got even better, i felt the engine wasn't working as hard, and really felt the effect of the turbo like never before in my jeep. Probably related to this, i got an MPG on the trip of 28mpg ( with 33 toyo muds and a lightbar) which is 2 more than ive ever got in the UK before! the jeep ran a lot smoother, so im not really surprised!

Hope this helps some of you guys out. Go out, and check your hoses CRD owners, its a common problem that can be easily rectified. mines a 2012 with 45,000 miles on the clock, and mine were about ready to go.

TL;DR check your pipe lads, dont want it to blow at the wrong time!  :na:

• Platinum Member

Photobucket says: Is this your photo? Please upgrade your photobucket account to enable 3rd party hosting.

Just in case the error doesn't display for you. I can't see your pics.

• Platinum Member

heres the attached pictures.

cant work out how to imbed images without paying..  :grrrrrr:

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.73f24a4bed1d96f9659db93589f0c983.jpg

thumbnail_8.thumb.jpg.dd958443bf00582575af47d4c4123084.jpg

thumbnail_2.thumb.jpg.7a5a87e222e5f1a77c2ab17f860918ee.jpg

thumbnail_7.thumb.jpg.453394058fb8a626dd9ea5fe8e575868.jpg

thumbnail_1.thumb.jpg.da7311925c958313b2cfa3a45426bf4f.jpg

thumbnail_4.thumb.jpg.e429c0c0d20f4078dd8307ef251cdabd.jpg

• Platinum Member

great write up, thanks for the info, I will invest in a set.  :great:

Interesting thread.  Seems like at some point these hoses will degrade to the point of failure, so probably a good idea to replace.  Especially keen to understand the potential performance benefits you mention, what not where you previously returning?

• Platinum Member

Yep on the Australian and SA forums they are reporting hoses failing as early as 40k.

On a run with my current set up, about 25-26 max. First time out with these on I got 27.8. feels as though the boost is more instantaneous.

• Platinum Member

Here you go fen

Cheers.

Look good. What’s the price for the kit??

Like the air horn

• 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Great job mate! I have a 2008 on 43,000miles. This is something Ive been wanting to do. I was looking at Samco Hoses. Where did you get yours from and what brand is the 'kit'?

Cheers,

Matt.

• Trade Member

As above he got it from BUZZ SPECIAL VEHICLES... we will have this kit listed on our website shortly.

• 3 months later...
On 25/05/2018 at 17:10, Buzz said:

As above he got it from BUZZ SPECIAL VEHICLES... we will have this kit listed on our website shortly.

Did you get these in Alex?

imageproxy.jpeg