51 plate 3.960 cc

nealscorer

• Platinum Member

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me where I can find the exact model of my jeep? I need a new rear axle . I have two jeeps but this one seems to be a cross over of model type.

the log book says one thing but when i bring up photos on the net does not look the same. Very confusing

Neal

• Platinum Member

hi thanks for your help but i have put vin off log book in a few times and says not correct ??

Might be to old for the vin decoder to work.

Add some photos , should be easy to tell the model.  :great:

• Platinum Member

can anyone confirm what the exact model of this jeep is. i need new axle but vin numbers conflicting info.

Neal

s-l644.jpg.35f37dbba65dcaa37f297bcd548cf135.jpg

• Platinum Member

can anyone confirm what the exact model of this jeep is. i need new axle but vin numbers conflicting info.

Neal

s-l643.jpg.a07dac92a1db4abf616914b235e82778.jpg

• Platinum Member

Neal, the photos that you have attached are smaller than postage stamps for some reason.

Most Jeep axles are supplied new with a metal ID tag fixed to one or two diff cover bolts. That tag usually has useful info on it to aid identification.

The shape of the diff cover can reveal the axle model family.

Brand name of the axle is usually cast into the side of the housing.

Find out what axle gear ratio is in your front axle, your rear axle MUST have the same ratio.

A photo of the axle showing the diff cover and the suspension brackets/mounts should be enough for a breaker to check with.

• Platinum Member

Very common for VIN's to swap out a 1 for an L or a B for an 8 and G for 6,

whats your VIN

• Platinum Member

hi thanks for all the help. My V I N  is

1J4G278S0VY511312

Not sure its a ) zero or letter O

• Platinum Member

I am a pit puzzled. My 4.7 v8 is an x reg and i think the newer shape. The 51 plate is not the older very square type but more like the square model which I thought was older than a 51 plate !! I must seem dull sorry.

• Platinum Member

Upload a better photo, say 640x480 pixels minimum, of the front headlights and grille or of the tail lights and rear screen. That's enough to tell what model it is.

It is a very unusual colour for a UK Grand Cherokee. Is it a grey import?

• Platinum Member

Hi and thanks, i will take some photos asap. Dont think its am import and I agree very bright lol . I bought off a guy who only had it short time. other than that one lady owner (!) from new. 74000 mile on it now, was gas converted in 2002

• Platinum Member

I suppose the next question is what should I expect to pay for a decent rear axle. Any idea where I can get one. Salvage companies in the past have not always been the best bet.

• Platinum Member

Oh and its a very bright electric type blue paint. As far as I can see its original paint work

• Platinum Member

while I have it in mind what sort of MPG should i get out of it. Not a lot I wouldn't think but I thought should be better than my 4.7 v8

Did not seem to clever on fuel when I brought it home. The computer said  13 mpg on motorway ? The v8 does that around town

• Platinum Member

sorry so many questions but i am so glad i found a place where you guys know what your talking about. the local garages not clued up.

• Platinum Member

I suppose the next question is what should I expect to pay for a decent rear axle. Any idea where I can get one. Salvage companies in the past have not always been the best bet.

Why do you need a new rear axle? Is the one you have already unrepairable?