Almost ready for our Morocco trip

nickwalk

• Platinum Member

Hi all

Well, we finally did a test run of packing the JKU today ready for our trip to Morocco which will start next Friday! Glad to say all the kit fits in and all the mods done by Chris at Surrey Off Road are working perfectly.

Just a few things that I'm struggling with and hoping you guys might be able to help.

First is the radio traffic announcements - how do we turn them off or at least skip them and get back to listening to music? Have tried turning off the TMC option but this doesn't seem to have any effect and every radio station traffic announcement is butting in.

Second is a check on whether by locking the Jeep with the key that this won't arm the sonic detectors of the alarm system as we're going on the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander and normal remote locking I assume isn't going to work if the ship is moving?

Third, just how good is the sat nav? Any hints on getting it to work well for Spanish destinations as I've no idea where I'm going and thus, am completely reliant on the sat nav to get me there! Any tips on how to enter destinations or does the post code work well?

Cheers all

Nick and family

• Platinum Member

Point 2. Press the lock key 4x on the remote and the car will beep at you, this disables the alarm so should be OK for the ferry.

Point 3. Google maps is certainly your friend whilst driving abroad, data roaming required though!

The satnav mapping on our 2015 Grand Cherokee was pretty reliable throughout Holland, Germany, Denmark & Sweden, so I expect Spain will be OK, too. If you have an iPad, get "Forever Maps". It's a free app with downloadable street maps of most countries. It runs in 'off-line mode' so you only need to pick up the GPS satellites, not a phone or wifi signal. The maps are vector type, thus very expandable, and the one for Morocco has street names for even small towns, and many unsurfaced tracks are shown, too. We used it as far South as Erfoud and Erg Chebi to good effect.

On the GC, there is an option to lock the doors by using the keypad in side the driver or front passenger door; press 'lock' when only that door is open, then shut it and all are locked, without any alarm set; the remote will unlock it after the voyage. We travel frequently by ferry (island living!), and have found this the most reliable option. Sleep is lost if you hear arms, especially if they come to get you to turn it off halfway across Biscay.

Have a great trip; we really enjoyed Morocco and look forward to going back. The people are very friendly toward tourists, and the police, who have many roadblocks around the country, are only interested in checking the locals – we were never stopped.

Gerald

• Platinum Member

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies and information.

Only thing I still cannot work out is how to turn off the radio traffic announcements as am beginning to think these are separate to the TMC so even with this off, we still get interruptions via the radio. Any help greatly appreciated!

Has been 12 years since we first went to Morocco in our WJ so really looking forward to seeing what has changed and what remains the same. Will be sure to post some pics on our return.

Cheers

Nick

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member

Hi guys

Glad to say that we made it back from Morocco and what an adventure it was!

A few pics for you are attached and we have lots more.

Jeep performed brilliantly and no problems what so ever. Has got me thinking of a few more mods to get done before our next trip but am glad that we and the Jeep had fun.

Now back to normal life...

Cheers

Nick

DSCN2277.thumb.JPG.540f271e51fa0e21d90089e4b40ac775.JPG

DSCN2128.thumb.JPG.33713e8578ad942c02e075ae82f4223f.JPG

SAM_1441.thumb.JPG.16e1c7b8fe39aee901afbc663139939b.JPG

DSCN2329.thumb.JPG.ed6f87e15a091af72257a4026bca0067.JPG

Looks like you had a great trip! We have a pic of a lonely jeep in a line of Land Rovers, too, taken at the same spot four years ago. Hope to see a few more of your pictures soon.

Gerald

• Platinum Member

Great trip and would love to go back again but next time would try and go for a custom made itinerary as have found that going with companies does restrict a little what you can do. Also means I don't have to be the sole Jeep as always seems to happen on these types of trips. Wondering why our fellow Jeep brothers and sisters wouldn't want to make it a Jeep only adventure  :glasses:

Agree absolutely; not the best use of time waiting for Land Rovers to be repaired/rescued when you want to visit interesting sights. We hadn't been in Morocco for 30 years, so were grateful to be guided, and did enjoy the trip with Trailmasters, but too often we would have stopped and looked, rather than driven past. Pictures through the windscreen just don't work so well. We hope to go again in the next couple of years, and shall take a caravan as a base for touring. Might be perilous, but when you see where the locals can get to in an ordinary small saloon……

desert_1.thumb.jpg.105c76141fd1ad51474d01a0ace28ce7.jpg

• Platinum Member

Same guys that we went with and had gone with them previously in 2006! Hassan the guide was fantastic and really got on well with him. Even he was quite jealous of the Jeep and was saying he'd trade in his Pajero Sport if he could!

Did you visit Ali's garage in Zagora? He took 5 minutes on the Jeep and said to go away before waving one of the Landies in for a nights work  :icon_lol:

Same happened to us in Zagora; Ali looked under the Jeep, couldn't find anything to do (no grease points, even) and would have sent us on our way except that I asked him to clean the sand and grit from around the front disc callipers. A Disco in our party had new springs, and most of the others had at least partial dismantling.

Hassan was a good guide, but his shopping tips were expensive! We did enjoy our trip, and the Jeep stood up to everything without a blip, much to everyone else's surprise. The power of the V6 Mercedes turbo-diesel got us through stuff that had the overloaded Defenders floundering, and the Jeep traction control was much better than the Discovery 2s and 3s. They had all spent months preparing for the trip; we went on a whim at three weeks notice, no modifications except Cooper AT3's.

desert_2.thumb.jpg.4d5e1c4f990f72dbc60d75258f517386.jpg

• Administrators

Great trip and would love to go back again but next time would try and go for a custom made itinerary as have found that going with companies does restrict a little what you can do. Also means I don't have to be the sole Jeep as always seems to happen on these types of trips. Wondering why our fellow Jeep brothers and sisters wouldn't want to make it a Jeep only adventure  :glasses:

That would be awesome!  :great:

• Platinum Member

It can be done!

If we got some serious interest, I am sure I could work something out  :icon_cool:

Not sure if Ali would be happy though as doubt he would get any business in his garage as there wouldn't be anything to fix!!!!

So, who's interested in "Jeeps go to Morocco"?

A Jeep trip to Morocco? Sounds interesting. Spring or autumn of 2020, perhaps. By then, our WK2 won't look so shiny, if we're going to keep up with JKs (Land Rovers less of a problem!). I might also have sorted out some 18" wheels and suitable tyres. We wouldn't necessarily bring our caravan; the other owner may insist on a bigger tent, though!

Ali Nassir did offer to run up some sump and underbody guards when we were in Zagora four years ago, so he need not be entirely disappointed.

Regards,

Gerald