Breakdowns: What is the worst?

V

• Platinum Member

With modern vehicles increasingly becoming computers on wheels, what is your worst nightmare when it comes to vehicle breakdowns?

I really don't like electronic failures. I find them so difficult to track down and diagnose properly. They are practically impossible to correct as a trail side fix, especially without swapable spares. I am not bothered by mechanical problems because usually there is a sound, smell or visible symptoms to aid diagnosis.

• Platinum Member
MCQBushcraft

With modern vehicles increasingly becoming computers on wheels, what is your worst nightmare when it comes to vehicle breakdowns?

I really don't like electronic failures. I find them so difficult to track down and diagnose properly. They are practically impossible to correct as a trail side fix, especially without swapable spares. I am not bothered by mechanical problems because usually there is a sound, smell or visible symptoms to aid diagnosis.

For me its some kind of catastrophic engine failure. My jeep much like yours is very basic and pretty agricultural under the bonnet so most mechanical things have a solution that's visible and logical. 

• Platinum Member

My biggest nightmare on my WJ and the thing I really do worry about is my Power Steering Pump...... Why something so trivial, well it runs the Hydraulic Cooling Fan for the car as well. Already had to have it reconditioned once and when I rang my local Jeep dealer with the part number off the back they said they didn't do that part.....  :scratch:

So I worry about that the most on the car, to the point I am always looking to see if anyone has converted to a Electric Fan anywhere.

• Platinum Member

Hydraulic Cooling Fan for the car as well...

So I worry about that the most on the car, to the point I am always looking to see if anyone has converted to a Electric Fan anywhere.

If you are worried about the viscous fan clutch failing, it is an easy replacement to do. I keep a new spare in my garage but bring it and the fan spanners with me if I am expecting deep mud (which I try to avoid now). The viscous fan cannot be beaten for the amount horsepower put into moving air through your radiator for such a small size. Electric fans just cannot move enough air through the radiator when you really need them to.

All cooling fans can be damaged when they hit water. You can switch an electric fan off for wading if you have wired it up to do so but you need to remember to switch it back on again. A friend of mine converted his TJ to electric fans and put a switch in the cab to disable it for wading. He needed a new head gasket half an hour later.

• Platinum Member

Its not a viscous fan on the 4.7 WJ. The fan is powered by the Power steering Pump and fluid hence Hydraulic Powered Fan. When the engine get up to temp and the fan is required you can feel the pulsations of the power through the steering wheel. Don't get me wrong its powerful, the WJ sounds like a jet fighter spooling up when the fan kicks in, just the fact that Jeep didn't have any records of the Part Number at all when i called them.

Have a look at this

• Platinum Member

Learn something everyday! I owned a V8 WG and I never noticed that it had a hydraulic motor on the fan. We only used it as a street Jeep and the only big job that I did on it was taking the dashboard out to do the HVAC blend doors.

Actually, I didn't even do that on my own. I assisted my friend Mike from California do it as he reckoned he could do a blend door replacement in 4 hours. It took 5 probably because I was assisting and we had to find the hidden fixings on the RHD model that he wasn't familiar with.

• Platinum Member

Vincent, I only found out when i trashed the PS pump a few years ago. Once the pump is dead it doesn't provide enough power for the steering or the fan and I overheated. Luckily I always keep an eye on the gauge and noticed it