Strokers

Fourpot

• Platinum Member

Has anyone done a stroker mod on a 4.0 engine? Preferably on a HO engine, 1996 or upward?  Just interested in why you did it, what other mods did you do or had already?

How did you like it all when done?

I'm toying with the idea of a stroker kit for my spare engine, looking to get some accrued wisdom form anyone who has been down this road..

Cheers...

• Platinum Member

I built one many years ago and it is still running great. You can now get stroker specific pistons and this makes it for a much nicer conversion. I followed the basic budget principle and built it myself so the costs were minimal. The improvements are good but not staggering like a V8 swap. The plus side is my engine looks perfectly stock and passes any inspection without questions. You need to be careful with the cam selection but I think there is quite a bit of info on line about this.

If you keep it simple I feel its a good option. I had a complete spare engine so built mine up over time and dropped it in one weekend. The more fancy high speed parts you throw at it the more it costs with very little gain.

Mine is made up of the following off the top of my head.

01 block

96 head

12 weight 258 crank

258 rods (I think)

Pistons (don't remember)

Comp cam (don't remember exact number)

Ford Mustang injectors

I had an adjustable map sensor but found the larger injectors were almost perfect so the computer was happy and the air fuel ratio didn't need any altering.

Only problem I have is excessive wear on the distributor gear. I have a high volume oil pump and this puts more stress on the distributor drive. It was fine when I lived in the tropics and the temper was above 30 degrees. Being colder here the oil is a lot thicker and I have dropped down to 5/30 just to keep the cold pressures down since the relief valve cant keep up.

• Platinum Member

Thanks for your reply...  I'm glad the Mustang injectors work as I have a set of EV6 4-hole ones already!  How old is your Jeep?  The Mustang injectors are rated at 24lbs at a fuel pressure of 39psi. As my 1998 Jeep has a fuel pressure of 49 psi, that'll make them deliver up to about 26ibs I think.

Good to know about the dizzy drive...  I may have to see if there's such a thing as an upgraded one.

I have my eye on a stroker kit with a brand new big-valve head and all-balanced rotating bits.

• Platinum Member

Mines a 98 TJ. Block came from a 2001 TJ and the head off an XJ that both sank in hurricane Ivan. Engine was built in 2005 and I don't remember the exact specs after all this time.

Full kit with a head sounds expensive.

• Platinum Member

Mines a 98 TJ. Block came from a 2001 TJ and the head off an XJ that both sank in hurricane Ivan. Engine was built in 2005 and I don't remember the exact specs after all this time.

Full kit with a head sounds expensive.

Something in the region of £3,000 including import duty and shipping cost!  :icon_eek:

• Platinum Member

Mine was cheap. Plus I did all the machining where I worked. Block was bored oversized and I ground all the valves and seats in the head myself.

258 crank reconditioned with ground bearings journals was a couple hundred.

Set of 258 rods cleaned up from donor engine

Pistons were a few hundred, they now make stroker ones that are more expensive but better suited.

Head from a donor engine

Block from a donor engine

Newer style intake from a newer engine

Injectors were a few hundred

Cam and lifter set

Bearings, gaskets and other items a few hundred.

All in I probably have less then a 1000 in mine. I did have access to damaged vehicles and a all the machine tools I needed at work so that helped.

• Platinum Member

I think I'm edging back towards a more DIY approach.. I have a spare 1997 engine as a donor, I'll probably clean up the head, maybe a little porting and polishing and re-grind the valves etc.  Then get the block done locally - I have a good engine recon place near me who have a very good reputation, they did a Ford Pinto engine for me years back that was very well sorted.

I'll probably just get a good 'rotating parts and gaskets' set - balanced crank, rods, pistons and bearings etc. from Clegg or 505 perhaps

The company I was looking to get a full kit from (Titan Engines in Florida) has some appalling reviews - mostly about their fuly built engines, but also about poor customer service and intransigence when being asked to replace wronlgy sent or defective parts. As we're not even in the judicial system or continent and because they have a 'no returns' policy on kits, I'll save myself the worry and have more fun and satisfaction doing most of the work myself.