Grand Cherokee Summit - best towbar?

Clemep

• Platinum Member

Hi,  I have just bought a GC Summit model 2016/17 and need a towbar fitting.  The rear bumper has a removable panel in the centre which I assume can be removed to fit a detachable unit.  I have considered a Flange type towbar but a bit concerned that they would need to butcher the bumper and it may interfere with the parking sensors.

I think my top pick is probably the Westfalia detachable but would welcome any advice. Well impressed with GC so far!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Hi Paul,  Did you get any help / make any progress with your Tow Bar?  I have a 2017 Summit and have had a Tow Trust detachable Swan neck fitted.  The down side is that you can only tow with the bumper section off as there isn't room between the bumper and the ball hitch to attach a trailer when the bumper is on.  I really don't want to have to remove this section of bumper each time as I tow a lot as it is going to get damaged taking it on & off.  I'm hoping that someone has a solution - a different make of Tow Bar or a moulded bumper section that allows the bumper to stay on whilst towing??? 

• Platinum Member

Hi June, thank you for your reply.  My local towbar centre, who I have used before and trust, offered me the choice of a Witter fixed flange type or a westfalia detatchable.  They were unable to say that the fixed towbar would not interfere with the parking sensors, so I have gone for the Westfalia detatchable. 

The towbar can be fitted and used with the bumper section in place but it is quite near to the bumper so their advice is to tow with the section removed.  If you use an Alko tow hitch then I suspect there is not enough space to attach it safely without risk of damaging the bumper.

I am happy with my choice, but it does mean I will remove the bumper section before fitting the tow ball (which takes very little time). Cost including electrics was just shy of £600.

They did comment that these Jeeps are made in the US where they have a square receiver for a towbar. The towbar would fit straight through the gap when the bumper section is removed - these types of towbar are not supplied in the UK.

Good luck in finding the right solution.