Still leaking.....

fen01

• Platinum Member

So, after two days of rain, I'm back to bailing out the slush mat in the front passenger foot well (thank god I've got these mats, else the carpet ones would be soaked through).

To add to it, I've now got a new leak; along the join between the freedom panels.  I've now got water dripping onto the gear selector.

Looks like i'll be garaging it for the winter and bringing it out during the summer months...

IMG_0143.thumb.JPG.568b44842f54bab45c210bdf6281c7b4.JPG

IMG_0142.thumb.JPG.e99f0de02d30fcf23750d4dc3ad39ac3.JPG

IMG_0136.thumb.JPG.e574bf99b79820c8898f9e529a87c05c.JPG

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeepjimboy

• fen01

• Tony

• BLUE STAR

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

Hi Fenton can you take some more pics of the a post and b post area and the door gap at the top please

• Platinum Member

Hi Fenton can you take some more pics of the a post and b post area and the door gap at the top please

Will do.

Also have a video of the water dripping off the roof rail and disappearing somewhere.

• Platinum Member

:icon_eek:  :icon_e_surprised:  :icon_e_sad:  :grrrrrr:  :icon_mad:  :icon_cry: :icon_cry: :icon_cry: !

Feel your pain.  Concerning when water dripping on electrics and when the condensation from the water in the footwell gathers on the roof and drips down.

• Platinum Member

Fen,mine is still leaking in exactly the same place as yours,except my leak ends up on the carpet and not on the slush mat!

It runs down the A post and across the plastic trim,the only thing I can’t work out is how it gets from roof to A post.

After doing a fix I saw on YouTube it has helped,but it’s still leaking on the carpet.

• Platinum Member

How about the drivers side Fen, after they fitted the only rubber door seal in stock?

Driver's side is fine..

• Platinum Member

Those lower kick panels have been known to break the door seal on the bottom, i would get rid of those as well.

Alex,

If they are causing the problem, why do I not have the same issue all the time on the driver's side?

What can I replace them with?

• Platinum Member

Driver's side is fine..

They did fit the new seal on your drivers side the other week did they not?

And re the removable panels, my friends JK leaks like a sieve from them, carpets and gear stick & dash. He has no probs at all in summer with the soft top in place, only when he puts the hard top back.

• Platinum Member

Fen,

Call Tav at Carsten's Jeep in Balsall Common.  They sorted mine, was in the same place as yours.  Lot of labour to replace the windscreen seal etc as the have to fold it down onto the bonnet to get to the "final" seal.

• Platinum Member

Fen,

Call Tav at Carsten's Jeep in Balsall Common.  They sorted mine, was in the same place as yours.  Lot of labour to replace the windscreen seal etc as the have to fold it down onto the bonnet to get to the "final" seal.

Will do.  Little alarmed though Jeep Uk have been involved in the last fix in mine...

• Platinum Member

They did fit the new seal on your drivers side the other week did they not?

And re the removable panels, my friends JK leaks like a sieve from them, carpets and gear stick & dash. He has no probs at all in summer with the soft top in place, only when he puts the hard top back.

There is a recommended sequence for reinstalling the freedom top panels in the hand book.

It made a difference for me.

• Platinum Member

Fen,

If its a warranty repair with no cost fine, but I found a little silicone grease rubbed along that windscreen header  seal  now and then fixed it for me.

• Platinum Member

Stewart,

pics as requested.

IMG_0190.thumb.JPG.6915a4f551b7e1818ff52581b54c1691.JPG

IMG_0187.thumb.JPG.09c82daa9fcf92f82e32ffdf613e0f15.JPG

IMG_0189.thumb.JPG.494914361e123f565ed818a598a8014f.JPG

IMG_0188.thumb.JPG.3a61906b04e1e0fc5b36db8f6923649f.JPG

IMG_0191.thumb.JPG.ddec0d3e22c45b7b081440dcc81faeb7.JPG

• Platinum Member

I’m also having the same problem my car has now been with our local Jeep dealers for four weeks. They have now changed the seals around the doors, above the windscreen and between the rear roof section and two front panels. I’m still waiting to find out if the leak is cured. The car is still under warranty so am going to keep pestering them until they can come up with something. Will keep you posted.

• Platinum Member

My 2015 Wrangler has the same problem. It leaks into the drivers footwell. Its been back to the dealership 3 times now. I can see where its getting in and it would appear to be a design fault with the seals in as much as when they're new they are big but with use they flatten and let water by. My dealership said they will pump the seals with air to expand them but I feel its only a matter of time before it leaks again !!

• Platinum Member

There are specific procedures to follow for these leaks, and in a specific order. The seals can be filled with a foam filler insert available from jeep but is short lengths. The freedom tops are a pain and should be refitted in the correct order again, also worth spraying a little silicone polish on the seals to help. I had one come back from Scotland to Yorkshire to be redone, was fine when it left so fingers crossed.

• Platinum Member

I’m afraid to say the car is still leaking. Does anyone actually know how you stand when your warranty runs out if you had the on going problem of leaking beforehand, are they still responsible to try and fix it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

It seems to have been fixed!! :icon_e_surprised: :icon_e_surprised:

The seal they have replaced, which has been redesigned is half up the hinged edge of the door, and not along the bottom (no fouling with the sill guards).

According to the dealer, and Jeep, the redesign allows it to re-direct water flow to where it is supposed to go, which is not inside the cab.

• Platinum Member

Cool.  Motorvogue told me they'd done yours, waiting for mine... :grrrrrr:

Oi I'm first, so I thought, been waiting since Fenton had his done :icon_evil:

Actually Matt I called Karen at Mvogue last week, she passed a message back to say they are still waiting for them to come in. I hope they have a box full for all the leaky JKs out there.

I can't understand how the same techys  who fixed the leaks on my 2 previous JKs can't sort this later model of mine. Answers on a postcard please.

I have stuck some duck tape on the part of the door frame that the new seals cover properly (having looked at the seal itself before they fitted it to Fen's JK) and it seems to stop most of the incoming rain. Just a dribble last time.

28k car held together with duck tape, you have to love em eh.

IMG_20180214_103927889.thumb.jpg.d29fdf8a3ff578ebc6f813a0bfbdaa39.jpg

IMG_20180214_103934357.thumb.jpg.4de5b06490223e052896e6d6256a32d5.jpg

You wouldn't think it was that difficult would you?!  Order the seals, fit them.  Many months later...

Fair enough you first!