A new home for the Hi Lift

TimC

• Platinum Member

Just fitted a Rugged Ridge HD tailgate hinge with Hi Lift Jack carrier.

Nice easy job and almost makes me look like a real off-roader  :glasses:

A7C184D9-3DC9-4DEB-8811-770F9EB2DA44.thumb.jpeg.8fdde02cd3a2e748b0048cd08788ce75.jpeg

35F02300-5F3C-4DED-88F6-5BE5553CD438.thumb.jpeg.4227bb4b1a41d2b453a959975ae39047.jpeg

• Platinum Member

Looks very trick!  I may have to get something similar for the XJ when I get bigger wheels and tyres.... if I want to get anything else in the back other than the spare!

• 2 months later...
  • Platinum Member

The bumper is a Terrafirma and I was a bit dubious about it to be honest. The reason I wanted to replace the bumper was to get the number plate out of harms way (a bit) and to give me something solid for jacking with the Hi lift. I went for the Terrafirma for two reasons:

1) It comes with integrated LED rear fogs already fitted. Finding a bumper with fittings for rear fogs is not easy as most are US designed

2) It’s 1/2 to 1/3 the price of other aftermarket rear bumpers!

Whilst the price was a big plus it was also my cause for concern. At that price it’s got to be crap right? It’s made of cheese, or will fall apart or rust or wont fit. Well none of those turned out to be true (yet) It looks well made, decently welded and finished and fits fine. Really easy to fit .......and is still way cheaper than anything else I could find. It’s good and solid, gives a nice step into the back of the JK wires up no problem, only thing I’ll have to get used to is how it looks from the side. It’s quite sharply angled back which leaves a big space behind the rear wheel, but think I’ll get used to it, doesn’t look too bad.

Licence plate holder is rugged ridge, easy install, take the lens cover and connector off the original bumper, break into the wiring for the tail light feed in the rear left tail cluster and Bob is you proverbial.

I do have one question: what is the received wisdom on actually fitting the plate itself into the holder? There are  two tabs on the right for it to fit under, two locating pins about 4” in from the right and then two screw fixings 4” right of that. Since I don’t have an actual US plate I was thinking cut off the locating pins from the carrier, take a bit off the plate so it will fit under the tabs, double sided tape on the RHS and screws on the left. What do people usually do, get rid of the tabs and the locating pins and just double sided tape it on?

Oh, also fitted the Rigid Trucklites LED headlights as well the other weekend ( thanks Fen ) so pretty much at the end of the jobs list now.......... 

I do have one question: what is the received wisdom on actually fitting the plate itself into the holder? There are  two tabs on the right for it to fit under, two locating pins about 4” in from the right and then two screw fixings 4” right of that. Since I don’t have an actual US plate I was thinking cut off the locating pins from the carrier, take a bit off the plate so it will fit under the tabs, double sided tape on the RHS and screws on the left. What do people usually do, get rid of the tabs and the locating pins and just double sided tape it on?

When I had the US style plate holder on my Red JK, I cut off the tabs and pins and then used double sides tape.

Worked a treat and lasted well for all the time I had it installed.

• Platinum Member

I notice you've used a US number plate re-locator. I'm trying to work out where to stick my number plate when I've put on my new tyre carrier on  the XJ. Currently it's smack in the middle of the tail gate so will be completely obscured.

I'm thinking I'll have to make up a mount to go on the tyre carrier and the more difficult bit will be wiring the light, as any cable will need to flex out some way. So I'm now wondering if I can put it on the left side of the tail gate (using a square plate). This would be visible from behind and from almost 90 degrees angle to the left rear, but not much visiblity if I move to the right rear, where the carrier with a tyre on gets in the way of seeing it.

The rules seem to relate to a square shape, called the 'relevant area', rotated 45 degrees so one corner is in the middle of the plate, therefore going straight back is going along the square's diagonal, which should be 22m. The plate must be visible in all of the relevant area. Sketching this on paper, seems to effectively mean an angle of view no narrower than 45 degrees. This makes it no good for me as I can barely see it at half that.

Looking at the picture of your Jeep, taken from a right rear quarter view, your new plate position may fall foul?

The MOT test seems to be just that it is readable from 20 metres away, but no guidance on angle. All the 'square' business seems to be in the construction and use regs.

Anyone with actual knowledge help out here?

• Platinum Member

Glyn, I’m afraid I have no “actual knowledge”, neither could I find any that wasn’t contradictory or confusing. Maybe someone can shed some light. There seems to be one set of regs for manufacturing and importing and another for being road legal and passing an MOT. There’s also two things with the plate, the size/layout and the positioning.

In theory as far as I could tell, there are only two sizes of approved plate, the normal oblong and the square, the 6” x12” isn’t one of them however It’s readily available as a size to be made up with approved font, letter size and spacing and colour with the maker/supplier details at the bottom and supplied as a “legal” plate. However on the 6”x12” in order to get all the letters on they seem to have to be slightly smaller than ‘standard’ size. So I have no idea and no one who I spoke to about making them up seemed to either. My other option for positioning would have been centre of the spare but I like the US plate position. My general impression is that passing an MOT should be OK with this plate and that it is “legal” but it’s a bit like the ‘tyres extending past the fenders’ argument, when I look down on top of my wheels I see sidewall past the fender not tread but if someone wanted to be really awkward about it then I guess they could be. My CJ has had a square UK ( not 6”x12” US) plate fitted in almost exactly the same position and partially obscured from some angles, for the last nearly 40 years and it’s never raised even a comment from MOT or police, time will tell with this one I guess.

While on the subject of legalities does anyone know if it is a legal or MOT requirement to have rear reflectors fitted at the outside edges of the vehicle? I have some for the bumper but not fitted yet.

Fitted my number plate bracket the other day too.  I cut the tabs off and used double sided adhesive pads.  The lens from the original number plate lights is a bit small though ( mine is a crown kit).

P_20180326_170543_vHDR_On.thumb.jpg.f52b6c41b4527f87d9c7212be64e0a2c.jpg

• Platinum Member

I like the Jeep logo on the LHS Matt, very cool  :icon_cool:. Did you just cut the bottom of the original number plate carrier off the bumper?

Yep, just jigsawed it off, not too bothered about it looking too straight as a new bumper is also on my shopping list.. :great:

• Platinum Member

Glyn, I’m afraid I have no “actual knowledge”, neither could I find any that wasn’t contradictory or confusing. Maybe someone can shed some light. There seems to be one set of regs for manufacturing and importing and another for being road legal and passing an MOT. There’s also two things with the plate, the size/layout and the positioning.

In theory as far as I could tell, there are only two sizes of approved plate, the normal oblong and the square, the 6” x12” isn’t one of them however It’s readily available as a size to be made up with approved font, letter size and spacing and colour with the maker/supplier details at the bottom and supplied as a “legal” plate. However on the 6”x12” in order to get all the letters on they seem to have to be slightly smaller than ‘standard’ size. So I have no idea and no one who I spoke to about making them up seemed to either. My other option for positioning would have been centre of the spare but I like the US plate position. My general impression is that passing an MOT should be OK with this plate and that it is “legal” but it’s a bit like the ‘tyres extending past the fenders’ argument, when I look down on top of my wheels I see sidewall past the fender not tread but if someone wanted to be really awkward about it then I guess they could be. My CJ has had a square UK ( not 6”x12” US) plate fitted in almost exactly the same position and partially obscured from some angles, for the last nearly 40 years and it’s never raised even a comment from MOT or police, time will tell with this one I guess.

While on the subject of legalities does anyone know if it is a legal or MOT requirement to have rear reflectors fitted at the outside edges of the vehicle? I have some for the bumper but not fitted yet.

The XJ is due for MOT in a month, so I'll leave the spare on the boot floor for now. Then I'll put the  number plate where your's and Matt's are. I'll just stick it to the tail gate and add a light.  I had no idea there was an issue about the spare hanging over the rear bumper though! I'll be lucky if the inner sidewall is within the bumper area, let alone the outside tread!! Though I suspect that given the option, most people would prefer to hit my chunky rubber spare than my 3/16" steel bumper...

• Platinum Member

The XJ is due for MOT in a month, so I'll leave the spare on the boot floor for now. Then I'll put the  number plate where your's and Matt's are. I'll just stick it to the tail gate and add a light.  I had no idea there was an issue about the spare hanging over the rear bumper though! I'll be lucky if the inner sidewall is within the bumper area, let alone the outside tread!! Though I suspect that given the option, most people would prefer to hit my chunky rubber spare than my 3/16" steel bumper...

I think I must have phrased it badly  :icon_study: As far as I’m aware there is no issue with how far out the spare extends past the bumper. What I was referring to was the tyres extending past the wheel arches. As I understand it the tread of the tyre must not extend out past the wheel arch (fender) but I was just trying to draw a comparison with this to illustrate that these things often have more than one way of being interpreted and the interpretation often depends on who it is that’s doing it, one person sees tyre extending past wheelarch, another sees sidewall, same with the number plate issue. All very confusing!

• Platinum Member

Aha, now I've re-read it, I see I had misinterpeted what you'd put.  All this USA lingo doesn't help. If we stuck to wheel-arches, bumpers, wings, anti-roll bars, discs, split-pins, spanners, petrol, wind-screens, etc.....

• Platinum Member

OK, so a word about the Terrafirma bumper I fitted........it is made of cheese after all!

No actually its not that  :icon_e_biggrin: but it does have a slight failing as an off road bumper which I’m working on. This bumper is pretty much the same as two other bumpers from RT off road (Crown) and I think, Rugged Ridge ( probably from the same Chinese production line) and uses the same fixing: the bumper fixes to the chassis with two steel sections that slide into the ends of the chassis box section and are fixed with two brackets on the outside. Two bolts on either side fix the bracket to the OE bumper fixing points and two bolts go through the chassis into the bumper sections. However, unlike the RT bumper the fixing holes in the brackets are big ovals. This makes for very easy fitting ( which is a doddle) because there is loads of play, no trying to get things to line up with holes that’s aren’t in the right place. However, beacuase there is loads of play it relies on the tightness of the bolts to hold the bumper in place.

All well and good until you try to jack from the bumper, which was one of my main reasons for fitting it. When you have the weight of the back end of the Jeep on the bumper it moves.......which is a pity  :icon_e_sad:

So at the moment trying to figure out the best way of getting it to fit tight into the chassis so it doesn’t move, but other than that so far a great bumper for very little money.......but I suppose you do have to expect a niggle or two at that price.

• Platinum Member

An easy fix. Get one or two large diameter repair washers that fit on the bumper bolts with the ovaled brackets. I am assuming that you don't care that the bumper fits any other Jeep. Assemble the bumper using the repair washer and when it is all torqued up into position weld the repair washer to the bracket. This effectively removes the free play caused by the oval hole by creating an accurately positioned hole for mounting your bumper.

• Platinum Member

Very neat solution Vince. Though an easy fix if you are a dab hand with a welder. I am not good enough to try that in situ but might see if I can mark up the plate and take it off to weld on the bench.

Cheers