My alarm wont disable

jane jones

• Platinum Member

:wav1  Hi everyone bought my jeep back in September and ive started having problems with my alarm, it wont disable,  Any advice on how to disable it please.

• Platinum Member

Hi Jane, welcome.

If your key fob locks all doors, but opens only the drivers on the first press, followed by the rest on the second press, try locking the car by the fob, then reopen the drivers door by the first press, then re lock it by the key.

The car is secure, but the alarm is off.

That worked for my 3 JK's, handy when the dogs are in the back, or when the alarm keeps going of, as they do......

• Platinum Member

Thanks for replying ... Ive tried everything fob just wont disarm it, even tried the key in the door and that dont work. Ive disconnected battery and re-connected it and ive let it stand for an hour before trying the fob again. Still no joy  :(

• Platinum Member

I don't know if the fob that you are currently using is successfully sending a signal to the Jeep to lock and unlock the doors. If the doors don't reliably lock/unlock to a button press then replace the battery in the fob that you are currently using.

If you have a second fob with a spare set of keys, try that.

If you have had work done recently where the ignition key had to be re-authorised to the Jeep's engine management system, all other spare keys have to go through the same process at the same time. On a lot of Chrysler vehicles with factory fitted alarms, re-authorising affects the alarm too.

Twenty years ago I had a Voyager with a factory fitted alarm siren that wouldn't disable. It was mounted in the engine bay where snow had got into the siren and froze. When the snow on the siren thawed out, the melted snow shorted out the circuit board and permanently damaged it. The siren was replaced under warranty (5-months old) and was relocated up by the engine bay bulkhead.

• Platinum Member

Have replaced the batteries in fob, had the AA out to it, he had a go with it managed to dis able the alarm by disconnecting the battery but when he reconnected it the Gauges went haywire. i read on a forum that by leaving it an hour it should reset itself. It did do this and was working fine again until the following day when i went out to start it and the alarm would not disable again ..... Im baffled whats causing it, was  working ok until we had all the snow and cold weather

• Platinum Member
Im baffled whats causing it, was  working ok until we had all the snow and cold weather

Is the alarm siren located in a position where it can ice up when driving or get snow blown into it?

• Platinum Member

How old is the battery in the Grand ?

A battery with below par capacity left in it can cause all sorts of weird electrical issues, with alarm going off being common.

• Platinum Member

AA tested the battery the other day and it was fine ..  Going to pop to jeep dealership and have a word with them. Also chasing the guy who i bought the car from cos he told me i has 12 months Warranty Assist on it ..  just waiting for him to get back to me now  :whip:

• Platinum Member

Took my main battery down to jeep dealership they kept it on charge overnight, tested it then kept it again for another night on charge and re-tested it, It came back that battery needed replacing. I have replaced the battery and had fob signal tested,, when new battery was fitted i managed to disarm it. thought  it was the battery cos everything seemed to be working again.  When i went back out to car a bit later it wouldnt disarm again, i was gutted. So disconnected battery terminals again left it,  reconnected it and got it to disarm again. Not locking it with fob at moment, think problem is with alarm possible all this wet soggy weather we are having it is causing me problems and getting into the alarm. Next job is  to locate alarm on my jeep, not  a clue where it is ....

• Platinum Member

The alarm electronics are usually in the siren housing. If you set it off with the bonnet up you should be able to locate it quickly.

Check under the bonnet near the engine bay bulkhead, around the cooling air intake in front of the radiator, under the front bumper, or the crackpot location for some Chrysler electronics is under the wheel arch hidden away by the plastic liner.

• Platinum Member

Woooooo had new front tyres just before it went wrong wonder if that upset it .... will have a look for that next , thanks for that

• Platinum Member

Look under the bonnet and around the radiator first. Under the wheel arch is where Chrysler think it's a good place to stash an automatic transmission controller but it isn't. If you can't find it, I would look there on the basis that some workshop techie may have thought 'well if it's a good enough place to put a TCU..."