Checked out the WK2 wading ability

Gerald F

We have been through this ford in Leicestershire before, but there was more water yesterday; probing the depth with a stick by the bridge suggested it would be shallower than it turned out. Fortunately, Lynda kept going despite her 4 year old passenger's anxiety, and made an uneventful transit. The suspension was in 'off road II' mode, and traction control 'mud', no other modification. Out came the Jeep, with a bit of a squeal from the fan belt, which lasted for two minutes, but no sign of any problem. I think it was about 80cm at the deepest point.

We have been in deeper, with our Mk I Grand Cherokee in Iceland, but we had put a sheet of polythene over the grill, which kept the engine bay almost completely dry, despite a longer crossing.

I'd love to take this one to Iceland, but our ferry no longer goes from home to Seydisfyordur, so Morocco is more likely next year. The performance of the WK2, for an unmodified luxury SUV, is awesome.

Gerald

wade.thumb.jpg.00a864aed1c4a9b98e17400bd194b90a.jpg

wade_1.thumb.jpg.147af8f4774b545da2922f41ce53a927.jpg

• Platinum Member

Gutsy!

I didn't realise that the ferry ever went from the Shetlands to Faroes/Iceland. When did that stop?

Definitely makes it one hell of a journey now you have to get over to Denmark to catch the ferry, was bad enough going from near London!

The ferry ran until about 2008, I think; it also went to Bergen and back, handy for getting to our boat in Sweden.

We had an amazing trip to Iceland in 2000, crossing the central plateau several times by different routes. I can't recommend it highly enough for a 4x4 holiday.

Gerald

• Platinum Member

I spent a long time out there in the last couple of years, and the whole place stunns me every time I go around a corner. Definitely want to go back again with my own car, and not for work next time.

I know there is still a freight route from immingham to Norway, but that doesn't help too much getting to iceland..