Grand Cherokee buying advice needed

clarkemippet

• Platinum Member

Hi all,

Back on the forum after nearly 3 years since I had to sell my JK after a short but sweet ownership.

I'm getting Jeep pangs again and am considering a Grand Cherokee this time.

I have a couple of questions for the Grand experts out there. I'm considering either a late model WJ or an early WK (05's seem to fall in to the lower tax bracket). I did a Slindon and Salisbury day with the club in the JK, and would like to get off road again, this time in a GC. From memory I only saw a couple of GC's at these events, so not sure how they cope in stock form compared to JK?

Also do the WJ and WK fare that differently from each other off road, and do I need to go for a specific system (Quadra Drive II/Quadra Trac etc) for the best off road ability? We are looking only at 2.7 and 3.0 CRD's here. All the UK WK's seem to be QDII, but I'm not sure on the WJ's.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Simon.

• Platinum Member

Hi Jim, thank you for the info.

Do you use yours as a daily driver? I was impressed by the Wrangler standard and would like to get somewhere close in a GC without making it too biased towards off road. Is a stock GC with AT tyres only likely to make it round at least most of Slindon etc?

The diesel tax hike is only for new vehicles and for year one only. I think I'm safe (if you call £300 a year safe). Reg before 23/03/06 fall in to this cheaper 'K' bracket.

• Platinum Member

We have just done Kielder with her GC WKII- although nothing too taxing - i did wonder at some points but it surprised at how easily it coped with the stuff.

On road tyres as well.. I imagine on AT's it would be a very comfortable barge!

• Platinum Member

If you’re after a Wh/Wk, I would go for as later year as you can afford. I have an 05 for the same tax reason but have slowly gone through the car, sorting out issues jeep sorted out on later ones. Only think that you can’t prepare for is valve seat drop on the early Hemi

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member
Chris Redford

Agree with Jim but would also add comfortable too and for my Mercedes 5 pot 2.7 CRD, relatively economical - 34mpg on a motorway only run in cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

We took our WK to Morocco on a tour with a pile of LandRovers & Defenders. We never got stuck, and did at least as well as anyone else on sand; the traction control and power/weight ratio kept us going when they were being winched through. We had AT3 tyres, but no other mods, whilst they had all been specially prepared. Our WK2 seems at least as capable, though it has had little off road use. We worry about getting AT  tyres for its 20" wheels, but it copes well in snow with the standard Continentals.

The ZJ and WJ were both very capable, but the traction control was less impressive. However, it was nice to have the centre differential unlocked for long journeys over unsurfaced roads; this was not an option on the WK's.

If you get the Overland, with the air suspension, you'll have plenty of ground clearance for most purposes.

We have GC's for travelling (Shetland to Valencia twice a year, and other places forby), and we like to choose challenging routes, but we try not to take undue risks with the bodywork, since it's our everyday vehicle. The towing capacity is great, too. We can drag our caravan to the highest Iberian campsites, mountain roads no problem. If you look at my "introduce yourself" post, you'll see what Grand Cherokees can do, without modification or damage.

A JK would be more fun, and probably a better performer on difficult pay & play sites, but practicality would suggest a GC every time. Newer ones are more economical on fuel, too. There are bargains to be had for 1 - 2 year olds from many Jeep Dealers; we got ours from Westover Jeep in Christchurch, who have been superb with support and servicing, though they are not local to us.

Have fun with your new Jeep, whatever you get.

Gerald