Becoming a Jeep owner again

nickwalk

• Platinum Member

Hi all

After two years without a Jeep, the family has decided to buy another Jeep and last weekend we test drove a JK Unlimited which is now what we are hunting for. As the Jeep will be a daily drive, not going to modify too much (although have just signed up for a trek to Morocco!) so already feeling the need to buy things but have a few questions for you before I start emptying my wallet!

Just posted a message on the Wrangler board about what tyres to get so will see what people suggest for that question but am also going to be adding AEV rear tyre carrier (on the stock bumper), fuel caddy and snorkel so do have a question as to whether any one has used Nene Overland to fit parts? My mate has a Ranger and says they are great but not aware of their experiences with Jeep aside from being an AEV dealer.

Won't be doing a lift so need to watch the weight and thus, have not gone for AEV bumpers which means I have no recovery points. Instead I have found a US company called Maximus that sell after market tow hooks for front and rear that will fit stock bumpers. Anyone heard of these guys and perhaps have their hooks? Quadratec sells them so will probably order from them which leads to another question - have you used Quadratec before, what are they like, do we get any form of discount?

Having said all of this, don't actually yet have a Jeep sitting outside but have been in contact with Dean at Horsham and the guys at Snows in Southampton so am hoping we should have some luck in finding one before Christmas.

Will keep you posted on how we get on!

Cheers

Nick

Nick,

Firstly welcome to the club and I’m sure Dean will help sort you out.

If you are after someone that has jeep experience, then Alex at buzz racing would be able to sort you out with AEV kit and fit for you. You case see some of his builds here on the forum.

As to Quadratec, a few members have used them in the past, not sure of any discounts at present from them.

I have run a JK as a daily drive with a 2.5” AEV lift and found it quite ok for everyday use. Currently running 3.5” and again  all good.

Have a read on the forum of other people’s experiences.

Cheers Neal

• Administrators

Nick,

Firstly welcome to the club and I’m sure Dean will help sort you out.

If you are after someone that has jeep experience, then Alex at buzz racing would be able to sort you out with AEV kit and fit for you. You case see some of his builds here on the forum.

As to Quadratec, a few members have used them in the past, not sure of any discounts at present from them.

I have run a JK as a daily drive with a 2.5” AEV lift and found it quite ok for everyday use. Currently running 3.5” and again  all good.

Cheers Neal

As Neal Welcome to JOC  :wav2

Have run a 2" OME lift and the 2.5" AEV lift on past Jeeps ! If you are going overlanding then go for for the 3.5 AEV lift with Dual Sport Shocks get AEV or Similar wheels with 17" diameter and the same offset they run for the optimum handling and compliance on road. The dual sport kits are great on those long distance corrugated tracks ! After many trips over the years in Pyrenees and Corsica etc..  have found a min 2"lift and 33" tyres pretty much essential on a 4dr JK  the 3.5" kit is a better set up with the geometry correction and high steer setup, AEV have spent a lot of time and Research employing ex Chrysler suspension engineers. Not all suppliers can make that claim !  Also Thumbs up for Alex at Buzz as a reputable AEV installer !

• Platinum Member

Hi Nick and welcome to JOC :wav2

Good luck in your search for a JKU ... as others have said, I am sure Dean at Horsham will be able to help.

As to modifications ... again I am going to recommend you speak to Alex at Buzz racing BEFORE you do anything. Not only is he a really nice chap and fully able to install AEV products, he will also sit you down and talk about what you want and what you are trying to achieve. I can understand the enthusiasm to modify the Wrangler; however, it probably makes sense to drive it first, talk to those "in the know" and then make plans.

You also have sage advice from JOC members like Stewart & Neal (there will be others) - who have done it before ... more than once in most cases :glasses:

As to tyres - if you are aiming for a daily driver with occasional overlanding - I can wholeheartedly support the choice of BFG KO2. This is an excellent AT tyre which is really a hybrid with many MT attributes. Unfortunately I cannot advise on 18" sizes - I like many others I have 17" rims.

Anyway ... good hunting and ENJOY your Jeep when you get it :great:

• Platinum Member

Hi guys

Thanks a lot for your responses suggestions.

At the moment, am not planning to lift the Jeep as money is quite tight and having spoken with the company we are going with, it seems they have toned down a bit the off roading since the last time we went. So I'm focused more on keeping things light and cheap! Hoping also that Dean will find us a good deal!

Have looked at Buzz Racing but a bit of a trek for me as am based on the south coast and Nene are only an hour away. Does MDG in Portsmouth still exist does anyone know? What about Surrey Off Road?

Cheers

Nick

• Trade Member

Thanks for the recommendations people.

Can i ask if you want to keep weight down etc why will you need an aftermarket tyre carrier on a smallish tyre, is it for the AEV Caddy mainly?

With regards to tyres, it sounds like the BFG would do exactly what you want it too, however we have great success with the toyo mt in 295-70-r17 (need a lift) but the tyre itself regardless of size is brilliant and very robust. It has a strong (more ply) sidewall than the KO2 so as you have said the only downside is the weight because of this. But if you are keeping 18" i would look to go for the 275-70-r18 in the toyo. Get a procal, recalibrate your speedo and you will be happy with how the vehicle performs.

We are by the way only 55 miles from maidenhead if that helps. Your welcome to pop up and see some of our wranglers and have a chat if nothing else.

You will not go wrong with Horsham either, highly recommend.

Good luck with the hunt  :great:

• Platinum Member

Hi guys

Thanks a lot for your responses suggestions.

At the moment, am not planning to lift the Jeep as money is quite tight and having spoken with the company we are going with, it seems they have toned down a bit the off roading since the last time we went. So I'm focused more on keeping things light and cheap! Hoping also that Dean will find us a good deal!

Have looked at Buzz Racing but a bit of a trek for me as am based on the south coast and Nene are only an hour away. Does MDG in Portsmouth still exist does anyone know? What about Surrey Off Road?

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick

I was unsure whether to mention this in my first post, because I do not like being negative.

I do have experience of Nene Maidenhead - when they were still JOC sponsors back in March 2016 - and it was not at all good.

After various installs (including AEV 2.5" lift, AEV bumpers, new wheels&tyres) it is important to check the nuts etc after about 100 miles. This I did at my local mechanic ... which was "lucky" for me ... because what they found was a bit scary. I was also very fortunate to then find Alex (Buzz Racing) who has carried various remedial works for me to put things right - including refitting the whole rear bumper assembly. I wish I had found him sooner!!

If you would like further details please PM me.

I need to add that things may have changed at Nene recently. However, I would strongly recommend making the effort to contact Buzz Racing ... they really are Jeep experts and numerous JOC members can & do vouch for them. I myself am patiently waiting to book my JKUR in for some more mods - he is a busy man :glasses:

Hope that helps.

• Platinum Member

another extra one for Buzz - i use him all the way from Cornwall!

No personal experiences with Nene, but I only seem to hear of horror stories about them - from people I know and various forums, so I'm more than happy to put the extra miles in to get to someone I can trust (Buzz)

I run 33" BFG KO2s, and they have done everything I've asked of them, not much experience of anything else worth a mention

• Platinum Member

Cheers Neal

Same as, except that I run 33" Toyo MT with my 2.5 AEV,  they run well and corner good  :icon_razz:

Hi Nick and welcome.

• Platinum Member

If your not going to run the AEV rear bumper in conjunction with the tyre carrier, have a look at the Terraflex  & other similar designs ....  far easier to install.

• Platinum Member

Forgot to mention my jk was fitted with a teraflex leveling kit fitted by Alex at buzz,not a proper lift but gives a bit more clearance for 33” tyres,quite cheap to install.

Nick the photo is my jk with 33” Toyo tyres and the leveling kit,hope this is of some use to you.

FA67D9CF-C410-40EF-863D-07C3CE1231D2.thumb.jpeg.3037e8ba82e9c568205bacc6e65bc381.jpeg

• Platinum Member

Hi all

After two years without a Jeep, the family has decided to buy another Jeep and last weekend we test drove a JK Unlimited which is now what we are hunting for. As the Jeep will be a daily drive, not going to modify too much (although have just signed up for a trek to Morocco!) so already feeling the need to buy things but have a few questions for you before I start emptying my wallet!

Just posted a message on the Wrangler board about what tyres to get so will see what people suggest for that question but am also going to be adding AEV rear tyre carrier (on the stock bumper), fuel caddy and snorkel so do have a question as to whether any one has used Nene Overland to fit parts? My mate has a Ranger and says they are great but not aware of their experiences with Jeep aside from being an AEV dealer.

Won't be doing a lift so need to watch the weight and thus, have not gone for AEV bumpers which means I have no recovery points. Instead I have found a US company called Maximus that sell after market tow hooks for front and rear that will fit stock bumpers. Anyone heard of these guys and perhaps have their hooks? Quadratec sells them so will probably order from them which leads to another question - have you used Quadratec before, what are they like, do we get any form of discount?

Having said all of this, don't actually yet have a Jeep sitting outside but have been in contact with Dean at Horsham and the guys at Snows in Southampton so am hoping we should have some luck in finding one before Christmas.

Will keep you posted on how we get on!

Cheers

Nick

Nick,

Hi and welcome.

In answer to your question about Quadratec and has anyone ever used them.  I have and do rate them.  My current front bumper and levelling kit came from them.  Very easy to deal with.  Their only let down, for me, is the time it take to prep an order for shipping.  I think they have different fulfilment centres which feed into the main shipping centre, or I'm just very impatient.....

As for discount, they don't give a specific one.  They only seem to give to US owners clubs.  However, I would suggest you ring them when you know what you want to order, and just ask the question...  I think one the last order, which was a split with someone else on here, we got about $100 - $200 knocked off the overall price.

• Platinum Member

Hi guys

Thanks again for all your responses and lots to think about!

It seems that I might need to be cautious with Nene and so I am wondering (as well as the great recommendations for Alex) whether I should contact Chris at Surrey Off Road but am not sure if he is still  in business. Anyone confirm for me?

For those guys running the Toyo MTs, what's the noise like on the road and handling? Do you also notice a drop in acceleration and MPG? Any rubbing on the sway bar at full lock?

Am waiting to hear from Dean and must admit the choice of Overlands is pretty limited at the moment so hopefully we can find something fairly quickly.

Will look to place an order with Quadratec shortly if the waiting time to dispatch is long as the tow hooks I'm after will need to be fitted the same time as the rest of the gear.

Cheers

• Platinum Member

Well, this, along with the associated tyres thread, is a popular one !  :icon_flower: Can’t go wrong with a tyres question :icon_e_wink:

Hi Nick and welcome to the JOC, thought I’d join in with my tuppence for what it’s worth.

I guess there’s a couple of things: what you want to do now, particularly for this Morocco trip and what you want long term. Also what funds are available. It’s a lot easier when you have a lot of cash to splash and can get everything done at once so that it all goes together - tyres, lift, bumpers, racks the list goes on. When you can only do a bit at a time it makes things more “interesting”

If it was me I’d go same size tyre on an AT, preferably the BFG KO2. Great tyre for what you want, which is lots and lots of road miles, a bit of off road and sand/rock rather than mud. Don’t get a mud tyre ( even though, yes, they do look cool and some especially the Toyo are very civilised ) unless you’re going to be driving in mud. The extra weight and size of a bigger MT will reduce your mpg and effect acceleration and particularly braking. The size of MT you are looking at will not make that big a difference to ground clearance. I have not driven in Morocco, many people on here have done and would be better qualified to advise, but I have driven in desert in Dubai ( TJ and Mitsubishi Pajero ) on AT and road tyres aired well down. It seems that most people avoid mud tyres for the desert.

I guess you are going snorkel to keep the dust out and AEV tyre carried for the extra fuel capacity of the caddy. However you might consider, as suggested by Mick, looking at a teraflex HD tyre carrier instead and fit it with their Rotopax carriers, they also do a rack to go above the spare for extra carrying capacity.

Hope you get sorted with a good Wrangler soon, be good to see some pics when you do :great:

Cheers

PS can also say that Quadratec are pretty good, it’s very competitive on price even after the collapse of the pound, duty and shipping and , as Fen says, worth asking for a bit of discount too.

• Platinum Member

If your not going to run the AEV rear bumper in conjunction with the tyre carrier, have a look at the Terraflex  & other similar designs ....  far easier to install.

I’ve got a jk and run 20” with no lift

My tyres measure 33” height

Here’s an interesting video about lift versus big wheels:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Hi all

Been doing some more research and buying.

Now have in the garage an AEV tyre carrier, fuel caddy and snorkel, a set of Warn d-rings, rear light guards and have just ordered a set of front and rear tow loops from Maximus 3 in the US. Got more to come but am beginning to get worried that as yet, I can't find a Wrangler!!!

Been nearly 4 weeks now since we put the word out to Southampton and Horsham Jeep dealers and so far - nothing! Can it really be there are so few Overlands in the country that a Jeep buyer cannot find one? Anyone know who else I should contact to try and source one?

Finally think I might have decided on tyres after extensive searching for anything that would fit an 18" wheel and not wanting a mud terrain, so currently considering the Cooper AT3. Seems to have a good reputation in the US and Australia and for what looks like a quite gentle all terrain, it can handle the rough stuff. Will go for the LT version in 275/70R18  which is an e rated load tyre but can i just check if this will fit or do I need to adjust the bumpstops? Anyone running this tyre already?

Can anyone also recommend a good interior storage rack for a Wrangler Unlimited as wanting to keep things inside rather than on a roof rack? Seems that Bestop only make a rack for the 2 door and the Frontrunner one is too heavy.

Will keep hunting for the Jeep...

Cheers

Nick

• Platinum Member

Hi Nick,

looks like you're already sorted for when it arrives!

Horsham Jeep have a great reputation, so I assume they would be on the lookout for not just overlands, but also some of the special editions - Black Edition, Polar edition etc. From what I can see they also have the same sort of spec on the inside as an overland, but maybe a few extras (I know the black edition gets a special bonnet for example) Maybe its worth casting the net a bit wider to include those too?

I didn't deliberately look for an Overland when I got mine, but I've not seen than many others out there, so maybe I just got lucky.

I don't much about the Cooper AT3, I use the BFG KO2s, and no complaints from me with them

• Platinum Member

...As Harry says.

Nowhere near you I know, but Motorvogue Bedford still had their Red Extreme edition JKU last time I looked, although not on the website. I think it has has some Jeepster add ons too. You could also try Jeepster in Hitchin, (although never used them myself so can’t say if they’re good or bad) they have quite a few, www.cabrioletcoupe.co.uk, depends if you are looking for new or not.

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys and will take a look at the other places.

Budget in the region of 25-30k

• Platinum Member

...As Harry says.

Nowhere near you I know, but Motorvogue Bedford still had their Red Extreme edition JKU last time I looked, although not on the website. I think it has has some Jeepster add ons too. You could also try Jeepster in Hitchin, (although never used them myself so can’t say if they’re good or bad) they have quite a few, www.cabrioletcoupe.co.uk, depends if you are looking for new or not.

Red has gone Tim, but then we are not 'sposed to mention either above as they don't sponsor, apparently.....

• Platinum Member

Hi Nick,

I won’t wast time telling you who does not have one anymore. Will put some feelers out for you in the network.

Jim

• Platinum Member

Hi Nick,

There are 10 JKU Overlands on Autotrader in your price range.

Variety of colours too.

Geographically spread out but they are out there.

Jim

• Platinum Member

Hi Jim

Yeh, have taken a look but not a fan of white or black which most of them are (no offence to anyone who does like these colours!) and the one I did like in silver that's still being advertised is actually sold.

Chose the Overland as want sat nav and don't think you get this on a Rubicon as would consider this although again petrol vs. diesel argument comes into play given our plans to do long drives in the Jeep.

Cheers

Nick

Hi Jim

Yeh, have taken a look but not a fan of white or black which most of them are (no offence to anyone who does like these colours!) and the one I did like in silver that's still being advertised is actually sold.

Chose the Overland as want sat nav and don't think you get this on a Rubicon as would consider this although again petrol vs. diesel argument comes into play given our plans to do long drives in the Jeep.

Cheers

Nick

Nick,

If the real driver for you going to the Overland is the SatNav, there are aftermarket head units that can be added easily.

I have done this to 2 JK’s now as have others. Currently have a KENWOOD/Garmin unit that supports Apple CarPlay.

As to petrol over diesel, have had both and I do prefer the responsiveness of the petrol and you do get some other benefits with a Rubi.

So perhaps worth looking at non Overland to get the colour choice that you prefer.

Any questions, I’m sure the members can help out.

Neal