Another Newbie

Booya987

• Platinum Member

Hi All.  Down in Dorset.  Had a TJ for a while, until my wife told me we are having a baby and we need a grown up family car.  So I had to trade in the TJ and got a JKU.  Its a 2009, HAD low milage and was pretty stock.  Subsequently bought a off-road trailer for camping (Jeep Summer Camp Ready) and now I am waiting for the delivery of my BFG A/T tyres.  Hopefully soon I would be able to do a bit of a lift as the suspension is still stock and I am upgrading from stock wheels and tires to 285/75/16.  If I am lucky I will never sell this Jeep.

Its a hard top, has anyone ever had roof leaking problems and fixed it?  I know there is a kit available from Jeepey Mart, but I am as handy as snail with a Sky Remote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

Welcome to the club!

Great to hear that Jeep stays part of the growing family.  Variety of JKU leaky roof solutions, check previous posts and members can chime in too.

Save the dates for Summer Camp!

• Platinum Member

Hi All.  Down in Dorset.  Had a TJ for a while, until my wife told me we are having a baby and we need a grown up family car.  So I had to trade in the TJ and got a JKU.  Its a 2009, HAD low milage and was pretty stock.  Subsequently bought a off-road trailer for camping (Jeep Summer Camp Ready) and now I am waiting for the delivery of my BFG A/T tyres.  Hopefully soon I would be able to do a bit of a lift as the suspension is still stock and I am upgrading from stock wheels and tires to 285/75/16.  If I am lucky I will never sell this Jeep.

Its a hard top, has anyone ever had roof leaking problems and fixed it?  I know there is a kit available from Jeepey Mart, but I am as handy as snail with a Sky Remote.

Hi  there

Yeah I've had a few leaks on my 2009 over the years.

A little silicon grease on the right places can work wonders. (Thinking of header seal here)

Freedom panel leaks can be caused by not using the correct sequence when putting them back on (see owners manual)

Also over tightening the turn screw  located in the central overhead section caused issues.

Tail gate leak has never been fully solved but absorbent cloth in right area mitigates  the problem.

What model JKU Sport or Sahara ?

How many miles on it ?

• Platinum Member

Hi  there

Yeah I've had a few leaks on my 2009 over the years.

A little silicon grease on the right places can work wonders. (Thinking of header seal here)

Freedom panel leaks can be caused by not using the correct sequence when putting them back on (see owners manual)

Also over tightening the turn screw  located in the central overhead section caused issues.

Tail gate leak has never been fully solved but absorbent cloth in right area mitigates  the problem.

What model JKU Sport or Sahara ?

How many miles on it ?

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.  Will definitely try it.  I have the Sahara, with 54000.

• Platinum Member

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.  Will definitely try it.  I have the Sahara, with 54000.

Thats low milegae .....  I've got 84,000 on mine.

You will have 4.10 gear ratios with that model  like the Rubicon which will allow you to run larger diameter tyres more easily, especially if its a manual

Check out your build sheet (called options sheet at dealers) which should confirm this.

One thing worth checking are the  bolts which via the forks hold the injectors in position.

Older models like ours have a central windscreen washer. Apparently its quite common for rain water to leak under and drip down to  where they are. Causing rust / corrosion, especially on the 4th bolt at the back

Unscrewed all of mine and the back two were rusted.  Cleaned them all off and applied Hi temp anti-size

Dont want them to snap if & when your injectors need replacing in the future if your keeping it for a lot of years.

• Platinum Member

Thats low milegae .....  I've got 84,000 on mine.

You will have 4.10 gear ratios with that model  like the Rubicon which will allow you to run larger diameter tyres more easily, especially if its a manual

Check out your build sheet (called options sheet at dealers) which should confirm this.

One thing worth checking are the  bolts which via the forks hold the injectors in position.

Older models like ours have a central windscreen washer. Apparently its quite common for rain water to leak under and drip down to  where they are. Causing rust / corrosion, especially on the 4th bolt at the back

Unscrewed all of mine and the back two were rusted.  Cleaned them all off and applied Hi temp anti-size

Dont want them to snap if & when your injectors need replacing in the future if your keeping it for a lot of years.

Wow, many thanks for all that.  I'm still educating myself on the Jeep, especially as I am not mechanically inclined.  Saturday coming I am bolting on larger tyres and will try my hand at correcting the steering alignment.

Do you by any chance have a roof rack?  I want to put a tent on top of mine.

• Platinum Member

I get my alignment checked out twice a year by a local shop that uses the Hunter 4-Wheel system

After 84,000 miles the adjusters have seized up  and wont budge and the toe is slightly out.

Rubber boot on the Drag link is cracked and oozing  grease and the rest of them look as tho they may last a year before they go the same way, so going to replace the lot.

If your lucky and  the adjusters on yours are still OK I would unscrew them completely and grease them up, as the OEM  replacement steering ain't cheap.

No Roof rack

If yours is an Auto  &  your putting lager diameter tyres on,  you will probably require the change points  done with a procal, if its manual not so important as  the speedo may only be out by  3 - 4% on 33's

I get my alignment checked out twice a year by a local shop that uses the Hunter 4-Wheel system

After 84,000 miles the adjusters have seized up  and wont budge and the toe is slightly out.

Rubber boot on the Drag link is cracked and oozing  grease and the rest of them look as tho they may last a year before they go the same way, so going to replace the lot.

If your lucky and  the adjusters on yours are still OK I would unscrew them completely and grease them up, as the OEM  replacement steering ain't cheap.

No Roof rack

If yours is an Auto  &  your putting lager diameter tyres on,  you will probably require the change points  done with a procal, if its manual not so important as  the speedo may only be out by  3 - 4% on 33's

Good to hear you having it done on a Hunter ! Best kit out there :mdr: I am a little biased though :rofl:

Who are you using?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good guys there, been a customer of mine for many years. Great place for a proper balance on big wheels and tyres too. :great:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

Yes they done my AEV lift perfect, timing belt / water pump and will be replacing the JK's steering linkage when it gets  delivered, with alignment of coarse.

Do you supply & service the Hunter equipment ?

• Platinum Member

Wow, many thanks for all that.  I'm still educating myself on the Jeep, especially as I am not mechanically inclined.  Saturday coming I am bolting on larger tyres and will try my hand at correcting the steering alignment.

Do you by any chance have a roof rack?  I want to put a tent on top of mine.

In reply to your comment about roof racks, if you're looking to get a roof tent on it, you need strong ones (obviously)

This means you can't use the ones that clip on the gutter rails, you need to either drill through the roof (pretty low profile) or get a larger cage type one that bolts to the chassis on the outside.

For the low profile ones, I think your best bets are looking at front runner slimline, AEV, or the rhino rack. I have the front runner one, and I love it, but no experience of the other two.

I don't know many of the bolt on ones, but the Gobi one looks like it has good reviews, although a bit louder than the ones above.

• Platinum Member

In reply to your comment about roof racks, if you're looking to get a roof tent on it, you need strong ones (obviously)

This means you can't use the ones that clip on the gutter rails, you need to either drill through the roof (pretty low profile) or get a larger cage type one that bolts to the chassis on the outside.

For the low profile ones, I think your best bets are looking at front runner slimline, AEV, or the rhino rack. I have the front runner one, and I love it, but no experience of the other two.

I don't know many of the bolt on ones, but the Gobi one looks like it has good reviews, although a bit louder than the ones above.

I was looking at the Teraflex Nebo (drill through roof as well), but cannot find a distributor in the UK.  Its half the price of the Slimline.  Being from SA myself, I’ll probably end up buying the slimline anyway.

• Administrators

I have the AEV rack about to be installed by Alex At Buzz as its light weight also another positive thing !