Testing the waters..

TimC

• Platinum Member

Evening All,

I thought I would start off a little thread here to test the waters and see what feedback, advice and opinions I can get.

Earlier this year a few of us had a very enjoyable couple of days doing a few byways in the Lake District and everyone agreed we should do it again “sometime”. So, I’ve started thinking about doing a rerun next year but with the benefit of a little experience and to try to do some of the routes we had to trim out last time. Very approximate time slot would be 2-3 days mid May 2018 as this seemed to be nice and quiet, not holidays and rammed with tourists. Routes would include, among others: Grizedale Forest, Old Coach Road, high oxen fell and some little Langdales ( which we did last time ) and Parkamoor, Breasthigh road and Dry Lane ( which we didn’t ) .

…….However one of the main reasons for putting up this post is that I was also thinking of seeing if we could fit in a trip along Gatescarth Pass ( and the linked route to Stile end ) I imagine that many people will know, but for those who don’t Gatescarth Pass is restricted to less than 100 vehicles per year and only 8 days of access so it’s a rare opportunity. I’d have to apply for a permit to drive and the available dates aren’t published till next year, it’s 1 day per month, and it could be cancelled if the conditions are bad. There is also one other slight snag……. It is restricted to vehicles with 100” wheelbase or less………which counts out my JKU (and most of the vehicles of the guys from the last few green lane trips we’ve done who I was hoping to persuade to join me ). The only way to fit this in, assuming we can actually get a permit and it doesn’t get cancelled at the last minute,  would be to have a couple of SWB Jeeps in the group, leave all the LWB somewhere near Kendal all pile into the SWB Jeeps and drive around in a big loop to Mardale head Hawsewater. Then we can do the one way, one time run across the pass and pick up the rest of the vehicles. Now I could take one of my SWB Jeeps but 6 hours drive in the CJ or the YJ doesn’t really appeal these days.

So a few questions:

Would anybody be interested in doing this sort of trip next year in a small group ( particularly but not necessarily if you have a SWB Jeep ) ?

Has anyone who has done Gatescarth Pass any advice or comments?

Has anyone who has done any of the other lanes suggested, particularly Parkamoor, Breasthigh and Dry Lane, any advice or comments?

Lastly, this is all very speculative at the moment and, of course, it’s a long way off, I’m just trying to see what, if any,  interest there might be and get some advice from those with more experience than me. Also, this is NOT an official JOC expedition (such as there were in days of old  :icon_e_wink:) it’s just seeing if we can get a few Jeeps together for a bit of laning in the Lakes next year.

Looking forward to your thoughts……

Cheers

Tim

• Platinum Member

I have done Gatescarth half a dozen times - well worth doing, we missed doing it this September - as it was our silver wedding - so we HAD to go somewhere nicer lol

We normally camp at Kendal and it is a bit of a run to the start of Gatescarth

To get passes you need to be very quick off the mark, when the dates go up they go quick (Friday driving days tend to hang about a little longer - but you still need to be quick)

You also need to provide full details when you apply - so get details off anyone going and have them ready to send off when applications go live.

• Platinum Member

Thanks Mick, good to know  :great: It looks like you've either got to be very flexible about dates and be ready to go if you get one or have a good plan B in case you don't. Difficult to combine it with a planned trip I guess as you don't know if you are going to be lucky or not but good to know it's worth trying.

Cheers

• Platinum Member

Our group will be going up on our usual dates next year.

We will keep an eye out for passes and get applications in- but if we don't get them then there is still plenty of laning for a few days

Got to say I won't be driving it as now have a commander rather than an XJ (round down to 100".....)

• Platinum Member

Count me in Tim, I'm in the lakes virtually every weekend so would be good to join up with you guys for a jolly. Can only comment on the coach road as I drove it a couple of weeks ago and it was in bad shape but passable with spotters.

Just to warn you every lane I've drove recently has been met with mild confrontation from hikers but as there will be a party driving it may be seen as organized and not easy pickings, not like when there is only me and my family driving.

• Platinum Member

It sounds like a great idea Tim, and I hope it takes off.

Sadly its a little far away, and I'm usually busy again come May, so unlikely I'd be able to make it.

You never know though, I may be able to take a few days away and then I'd love to come

• Platinum Member

Our group will be going up on our usual dates next year.

We will keep an eye out for passes and get applications in- but if we don't get them then there is still plenty of laning for a few days

Got to say I won't be driving it as now have a commander rather than an XJ (round down to 100".....)

Mick, I have just been out and measured our KJ........105” , give or take......you must have one of those SWB KJ variants  :icon_e_wink: :icon_e_wink:

Out of interest have you been able to get your Commander round the tight turn between the buildings at Sadgill onto the byway at the bottom of Gatescarth / top of Longsleddale to continue on to Stile end?

• Platinum Member

Mick, I have just been out and measured our KJ........105” , give or take......you must have one of those SWB KJ variants  :icon_e_wink: :icon_e_wink:

Out of interest have you been able to get your Commander round the tight turn between the buildings at Sadgill onto the byway at the bottom of Gatescarth / top of Longsleddale to continue on to Stile end?

I said XJ - 101", but lift it and the wheelbase shortens.....

At 105 it is too long to do Gatescarth.

Not been up to the lakes in the Commander yet - but commander is narrower than my XJ by 4" - though it is body that now hits and not tyres lol

• Platinum Member

Ah! Sorry ,my bad :icon_redface: don’t know where I came up with that from, just got my new glasses too.........probably should use them!  :icon_geek:

• Platinum Member

hi tim I should be ok with dates tim just give me enough time to get them booked off work  :icon_e_biggrin:

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member

I am interested in this. I think its sounds gr8. I am currently renovating a YJ .  It  should be on the road in the next few weeks (finished is another issue) and my plan is to use it for all kinds of events.  Phil

• Platinum Member

I am interested in this. I think its sounds gr8. I am currently renovating a YJ .  It  should be on the road in the next few weeks (finished is another issue) and my plan is to use it for all kinds of events.  Phil

Phil, this is going ahead, but no Gatesgarth. Dates are May 16th-20th 2018. I do not know if there will be space or not but if you are seriously interested PM me and I can let you know the current itinerary.

Cheers

Tim

• Platinum Member

Strewth! Starting to get busy. Have to talk to you about it at Salisbury Plains Arno. See you then.

Cheers

Tim

• Jules locked this topic