Not a Jeep but I like it!

Marcus Durand

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member
sabconsulting

I do like the 70 series. They drive quite nicely and have those front and rear diff-locks built in and a great reputation for reliability. However, the simple and reliable 1HZ naturally aspirated engine really does struggle at altitude. I also noticed that some of the bodywork pressings look more like we had in '70s vehicles - with narrow gaps to trap moisture and therefore rust in our climate.

Steve.

• Platinum Member
Marcus Durand

I was a few similar to this one in the Johannesburg area, they seem to cope with the altitude, but I don't know what engine they had under the bonnet. Thanks for the comment Steve.

Marcus.

• Platinum Member

Land Cruiser petrol engines were derived from the Chevrolet / GMC stovebolt six !  Probably the naturally aspirated diesel shares the same parentage.

• Platinum Member
sabconsulting

I was a few similar to this one in the Johannesburg area, they seem to cope with the altitude, but I don't know what engine they had under the bonnet. Thanks for the comment Steve.

Marcus.

Those 70 series, as sold in South Africa usually run the 1HZ 4.2 naturally aspirated straight 6 diesel. They are fine around Jo'burg (although better at lower altitude at the coast), and you can just about wind them up to 120 km/h on a long flat stretch, but you really miss the turbo - feels like the engine has no torque compared to the diesels we are used to here. Get up to altitude in Lesotho and the power loss is significant. As soon as there is any sort of incline you lose speed and have to start changing down. You might start out at 80 km/h, but soon you are in 2nd gear wondering if you will need 1st.

Steve.